• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Me Pick a Ski Trip Destination for Next Winter

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
JetBlue will be flying BOS and JFK nonstop to/from BZN next season. They usually start these new routes for winter just before Christmas through end of March. I'm not sure where you are in the east, but often these new routes are good deals if you book early enough. Of course, that's only if you really need to return to Big Sky. Air can eat up a huge chunk of vacation budget so I wanted to share this info with you.

We're 17 or 18 years skiing Big Sky and Moonlight but really appreciate Utah. Coming from the east, so many airlines offer affordable routes into SLC it makes the air portion palatable. The area has multiple mountains to choose from and lodging for every budget. The Solitude suggestion may be worth looking into as a home base.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Some background:
- Family of 5 (1 snowboarder, 4 skiers), all high-level capable of at least black diamond trails
- Primarily East coast skiers
- Only resort we've skied out west is Big Sky (and we loved it...went twice)
- Hate crowds
- Need on-mountain lodging (youngest doesn't want to ski all day so someone brings him back to room early, but often leaves him there alone so the rest can keep skiing for a few more hours)
- Prefer IKON over EPIC, but not a dealbreaker

Prices for the place we've stayed at Big Sky have doubled since this year, and I just can't justify that cost (plus the plane tickets to Bozeman are super expensive).

Can folks recommend mountains we would like? We like the big bowls, trees, etc. We don't need fancy amenities. Just give us a room with a kitchen (or kitchenette) and enough beds/couches for 5 people and we are good!

I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the choices, and I don't feel like I know enough about the mountains to assess them!
If you hate crowds, Aspen is the place to be. We are famous for not having lines except between Christmas and New Years and President's day weekend. We have 4 mountains. Beyond fantastic.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some background:
- Family of 5 (1 snowboarder, 4 skiers), all high-level capable of at least black diamond trails
- Primarily East coast skiers
- Only resort we've skied out west is Big Sky (and we loved it...went twice)
- Hate crowds
- Need on-mountain lodging (youngest doesn't want to ski all day so someone brings him back to room early, but often leaves him there alone so the rest can keep skiing for a few more hours)
- Prefer IKON over EPIC, but not a dealbreaker

Prices for the place we've stayed at Big Sky have doubled since this year, and I just can't justify that cost (plus the plane tickets to Bozeman are super expensive).

Can folks recommend mountains we would like? We like the big bowls, trees, etc. We don't need fancy amenities. Just give us a room with a kitchen (or kitchenette) and enough beds/couches for 5 people and we are good!

I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the choices, and I don't feel like I know enough about the mountains to assess them!
I regards to your original post and Whitefish.

The main draw at Whitefish are the groomer zoomer blues or even more the trees. There's a ton of tree skiing. Which is great for foggy days and also great for finding stashes days after it snows. However, it also means tree wells. If your family is inclined to "meet at the lift" you need to learn that won't cut it. You really need to ski them in pieces, waiting for everyone to catch up and be accounted for. Because climbing uphill to save someone before they suffocate is a lot of work. So, be aware as it's rarely an issue back east.

We used to be pretty uncrowded, but we're also breaking records every year. I guess we're still "uncrowded" as I hated the number of people at Lech, but to me it's gotten pretty bad. I'm hoping the new lift going in keeps everyone on the front of the mountain so I can ski blissfully on the back.

I'd recommend staying at the Morning Eagle for excellent slope access and ease of return for your kids, plus being an easy walk to a couple restaurants open at night. Most of the other places require some tromping around.

It'll be just as pricey and complicated to fly into here as to fly into Bozeman, but we are way closer to the airport.

My website is missing all the Hellroaring Basin trail and lift changes as I just have not been sking as much the last 2 to 3 years.

Snowfall info
Screenshot_20220422-000812~2.png

Last edited:

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First, let me thank everyone for the thought you put into your recommendations for my family! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

After a LOT of discussion in our house, we've actually changed course (somewhat) and decided to leave our youngest back east with his grandparents for the week. He "tolerates" skiing more than he enjoys it, and this will allow us more flexibility for lodging...we don't have to stay ON the mountain because he's done by 2 every day.

After that, based on the recommendations for you guys, we bought 4 Epic passes last night (before the price went up and the buddy passes went away) with the intent of going to Telluride. If we shift our trip just a little (Tues-Tues instead of Sat-Sat) the plane tickets are 1/2-price and the lodging is a little cheaper too. I'm bummed we won't have "free" access to some of the Ikon mountians in the Northeast, but I think this is the right choice for next year.

We'll still get our "local" pass (which is also big bucks, yuck!), but skiing is what we do all winter (Nov-May), so it's what we prioritize our spending on, and we are lucky to have good jobs that allow us to do so.

Again, thanks for all the recommendations...I'm sure we'll check out more of them in future years! Also, expect me to ask lots of Telluride questions next February.

marzNC

Angel Diva
After that, based on the recommendations for you guys, we bought 4 Epic passes last night (before the price went up and the buddy passes went away) with the intent of going to Telluride. If we shift our trip just a little (Tues-Tues instead of Sat-Sat) the plane tickets are 1/2-price and the lodging is a little cheaper too.
Flights on Tuesdays or Wednesdays are always a better deal. Being retired, I rarely fly on weekends.

Let us know what lodging options seem to make the most sense.

Gwenna skis Powder

Diva in Training
My family has always loves Crested Butte Colorado. We fly into Gunnison and rent a car. Stay right on the mountain and walk to lifts. My children always loved it and now my grandchildren. Something for everyone. Not nearly as crowded as Big Sky. Great restaurants and friendly town. It is also a great summer destination and has multiple bike trails and great hiking. It is on the Epic pass.

Super Lin

Diva in Training
Yeah, I was thinking Whitefish, too, if they could get there. I flew to Kalispell via SEA on Alaska Airlines. I was on a Bombardier prop plane, which I'm fine with, but others may not like.
The entire mountain is skied, so it's not too crowded once you get away from the base area. My lodging was very reasonably priced when I went($100ish/night?), but I stayed at a Hampton Inn in town and took the free town bus up the mountain. What was nice was my hotel shuttle picked me up at the airport and took me to the ski bus each morning, so didn't need to spend $ renting a car.
The base lodge didn't have lodging, if I recall, but there are private homes and condos to choose from, plus ample hotels on the bus route.
Larger grocery stores in town for meal prep. If you rent a car, can do a day trip to Glacier national park as well.
Terrain is not for newbies and plenty of it is ungroomed. Often visibility is not good.

I remember that a pint of domestic beer at the lodge was like $3 and food was along the same price points so definitely aims to be affordable.
I was in Whitefish in 2020. Stayed in Airbnb about 15 mintues from mountain. But, it seems like there was quite a bit of ski-in-ski-out lodging on mountain - with more under construction. Family friendly vibe for sure!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly