• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me make my dream demo list?

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
First, I have good boots. That fit. That I bought from a boot fitter last season based in good advice from the ski divas. :becky:

I am skiing on skis that are short for me and looking to make a list of demo candidates -- I am sure my local ski shops won't have them all, but help a gal know what to aspire to!

Currently on Atomic x77 CTI W in 154 cm. 5'7" and if I am honest about 200 lbs. (So clearly not a paragon of fitness! LOL) I do have fun on my current skis! But longer would probably be better.

I ski in Western NY, so mostly small hills, really primarily on groomers so expect I am looking for 84 cm or less underfoot. Hope to enjoy some other larger east coast ski destinations in the coming years as my tween gets older. Current skis are 14.1 turn radius and wouldn't want much higher than that. I would say I am an intermediate skier who has a personality generally driven towards mastery of things (I enjoy the easy, short "black diamond" groomers at our little place) but I am not looking for a super demanding ski that would punish me if I get lazy or tired. LOL. I am not hard core or a speed racer and just want to enjoy skiing.

Based on what I have read in other threads, thinking of the following for my dream try-out list:

-something from the Head Joy series (Absolut? Super? Total? Which is most right?)
-Atomic Cloud 9
-Blizzard Black Pearl 82
-Rossi Experience 80
-nordica Santa Ana 84

I imagine something in the 164-169 length (going more than 15cm up from my current feels like a leap, but thoughts on that?)

Thanks for musing along with me, and hope this thread isn't redundant! I am just enjoying daydreaming a bit and planning things to try when given the opportunity (so that I will then be prepared to buy when a great deal strikes!)

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I have a feeling you'll find most of those are too light. When my daughter was looking for new skis, I had her try the BPs. The ski shop owner said she wouldn't like them, and she didn't. He recommended Volkl Rtms, but she never got a chance to try them. She ended up with Blizzard Alights. They're a lot of ski for her, but she loves them.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Similar stats. I’m currently on the Renoun Earharts. I feel SO in control. And they’re deLIGHTful. I have 163, but our hills are so small, and I am interested in getting more comfortable with glades, so they said shorter would be good. I would probably be equally happy on 170s, but I haven’t felt unstable on the 163s at all. I did have Atomic Cloud 9s in 150… obvi too short, but I did really like the skis, since that’s on your list. I definitely thought about getting them in a longer length …

If I were to demo a men’s ski, I would definitely try the Elan Ripstick, and the Atomic Vantage, based on random lift conversations. LOL.

That being said, the Renouns are awesome for my middleaged lady self. We use a roofbox and my skis are so easy to put in, take out, and carry… WHEW.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Similar stats. I’m currently on the Renoun Earharts. I feel SO in control. And they’re deLIGHTful. I have 163, but our hills are so small, and I am interested in getting more comfortable with glades, so they said shorter would be good. I would probably be equally happy on 170s, but I haven’t felt unstable on the 163s at all. I did have Atomic Cloud 9s in 150… obvi too short, but I did really like the skis, since that’s on your list. I definitely thought about getting them in a longer length …

If I were to demo a men’s ski, I would definitely try the Elan Ripstick, and the Atomic Vantage, based on random lift conversations.
I had read about your liking your new Renouns-- I wish they were demo-able where I am!

I do like my current Atomic Vantages other than the length, so will have to look into the men's analog to what I have. The women's only goes up to 160 cm (or did in 2019 when I got these.) Will add the Ripstick to my list!

Soujan

Angel Diva
I own the Head Total Joy. They are on the lighter side so it wouldn't make you tired from having to move around a lot of weight but they do need to be worked a lot. They love big arcing turns and have great edge hold. The Total Joy does not like speeds below 35 mph. They're stiff and you need to make sure you put enough energy into them to flex them and bite into the snow. They're more skiddish and less responsive at slower speeds. At first I wasn't working the skis enough and DH commented that I was letting them ski me rather than me ski them.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
I own the Head Total Joy. They are on the lighter side so it wouldn't make you tired from having to move around a lot of weight but they do need to be worked a lot. They love big arcing turns and have great edge hold. The Total Joy does not like speeds below 35 mph. They're stiff and you need to make sure you put enough energy into them to flex them and bite into the snow. They're more skiddish and less responsive at slower speeds. At first I wasn't working the skis enough and DH commented that I was letting them ski me rather than me ski them.
I also ski the Head Total Joys! I look forward to chatting about them at Sugarbush! It sounds like you may be skiing them better/harder than I do, but I am also very pleased with their performance!

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
So I started making some phone calls to local shops and found a few options. Demo fleets are slim because of supply chain issues. Anyone want to weigh in on these demo choices for an intermediate, groomer/all-mountain, 5'7" heavy-weight skier?

Elan Ripstick 170 cm - already recommended above
Elam Wingman 168 cm
Black Crow Vertis 175 cm (but effective edge is shorter)

Another shop had no demos at the moment but hoped to later in the season. They expected to also have the ripstick and a Fischer Ranger.

VTborn

Certified Ski Diva
Is demoing in Vermont a possibility? The shops near Okemo have lots of options in longer lengths.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I started making some phone calls to local shops and found a few options. Demo fleets are slim because of supply chain issues. Anyone want to weigh in on these demo choices for an intermediate, groomer/all-mountain, 5'7" heavy-weight skier?

Elan Ripstick 170 cm - already recommended above
Elam Wingman 168 cm
Black Crow Vertis 175 cm (but effective edge is shorter)

Another shop had no demos at the moment but hoped to later in the season. They expected to also have the ripstick and a Fischer Ranger.
Which width is the Wingman? I have the Wildcat 86, which is the women’s version. The men’s ski uses a titanal reinforcement whereas the women’s uses carbon. In either men’s or women’s, some versions come with carbon rods (CTi and CX, respectively) and some don’t (Ti and C). So just know that depending on which model they have, there may be a stiffer or lighter version available. I haven’t skied the Ripsticks, but hear good things. I’ve really enjoyed the Wildcats thus far and would love to hear how someone else likes this line from Elan (even if the men’s version instead).

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Is demoing in Vermont a possibility? The shops near Okemo have lots of options in longer lengths.
I wish, but not this year. To be fair, I think most ski shops outside of tiny little Buffalo NY probably have more choices! LOL. This is just me starting with the 2 places closest to my little home hill. I can get at least a few more options if I head down to Ellicottville where I bought my boots last year. People here also just seem to ski their skis short in general?

Which width is the Wingman? I have the Wildcat 86, which is the women’s version. The men’s ski uses a titanal reinforcement whereas the women’s uses carbon. In either men’s or women’s, some versions come with carbon rods (CTi and CX, respectively) and some don’t (Ti and C). So just know that depending on which model they have, there may be a stiffer or lighter version available. I haven’t skied the Ripsticks, but hear good things. I’ve really enjoyed the Wildcats thus far and would love to hear how someone else likes this line from Elan (even if the men’s version instead).
The Wingman is 78 wide -- which is very similar to my current skis at 77. That particular shop is on the way to my ski hill, so I may just pop in to look sometime soon now that i know what they have. But I called ahead because sometimes I find ski shops don't take a pudgy middle aged woman very seriously when it comes to checking out equipment.

VTborn

Certified Ski Diva
I wish, but not this year. To be fair, I think most ski shops outside of tiny little Buffalo NY probably have more choices! LOL. This is just me starting with the 2 places closest to my little home hill. I can get at least a few more options if I head down to Ellicottville where I bought my boots last year. People here also just seem to ski their skis short in general?

The Wingman is 78 wide -- which is very similar to my current skis at 77. That particular shop is on the way to my ski hill, so I may just pop in to look sometime soon now that i know what they have. But I called ahead because sometimes I find ski shops don't take a pudgy middle aged woman very seriously when it comes to checking out equipment.
I bought a pair of the Wildcat 82C yesterday and took them out this morning. So far I am loving them. They are a great frontside ski and really easy to get on edge, while being beefy enough that I don’t think crud and slush will be an issue. There’s Also an 86 version but that was more ski than I think I want at the moment. Is the Wingman just the men’s version of the Wildcat? If so, I imagine it’s a lot of fun.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Coming back to this old thread of mine to say that even though it took me until a whole year later to get out and demo, at the end of it alI did in fact demo and buy the Elan Ripstick 88! I ended up with the men’s version in 172 (because the shop was out of the women’s 170) and skied my first day on them today. I am pleased with my choice, and the length is definitely right. (Pictured below next to my old skis, which look COMICALLY tiny now. Hahaha.) Despite the increase in length and width, the Ripsticks are actually quite a bit lighter than my Atomic Vantages. Plus the Ripsticks have a lot more rocker, front and back. I definitely have more stability on the new skis (ya think???), and they have a really nice energy to them . Looking forward to getting to know them better with what little season is left here!

20230218_175510.jpg

Just for fun.

20230218_141136.jpg

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Coming back to this old thread of mine to say that even though it took me until a whole year later to get out and demo, at the end of it alI did in fact demo and buy the Elan Ripstick 88!
Congrats on your demo and purchase! Hope you end-up being good friends :smile:

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Coming back to this old thread of mine to say that even though it took me until a whole year later to get out and demo, at the end of it alI did in fact demo and buy the Elan Ripstick 88! I ended up with the men’s version in 172 (because the shop was out of the women’s 170) and skied my first day on them today. I am pleased with my choice, and the length is definitely right. (Pictured below next to my old skis, which look COMICALLY tiny now. Hahaha.) Despite the increase in length and width, the Ripsticks are actually quite a bit lighter than my Atomic Vantages. Plus the Ripsticks have a lot more rocker, front and back. I definitely have more stability on the new skis (ya think???), and they have a really nice energy to them . Looking forward to getting to know them better with what little season is left here!

View attachment 20540

Just for fun.

View attachment 20541
Good luck with your switch! I've tried the Vantage, and I know it's a good ski, but those Elans look amazing. Have fun!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I wonder why you feel more stable on them!?
:rotf:
YAY! So glad you found the right fit…
Good to know that they’re lighter, too.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Coming back to this thread one last time now that I've gotten a few days under my belt on the Ripstick 88s. They have really made a big difference in my skiing. I know that equipment can't make up for lack of technique and I have PLENTY of work to do, but I feel like I'm so much better set up to succeed on progressing with the skills I've been working so hard on this year. Both my husband (who is a lifetime skier) and my daughter's instructor (who I did a lesson with myself once upon a time last year) commented on the significant improvement in my skiing these last few times out together -- so I don't think it's just a placebo effect! :rotf:

The increased stability is decreasing my impulse to rush my turns, and I feel more confident picking up a bit of speed. And more speed is even just POSSIBLE -- on my old skis, one of the things I noticed at the women's clinic was that even when we were all just cruising with skis pointed downhill, no turning to mitigate speed, I was just soooooo much slower than everyone else.

I had a very proud moment on what passes for a black diamond on our miniscule hill yesterday where I was traversing across in some chop and my inside ski took a big, unexpected bump. Even though my inside knee practically bounced up to my chest, I had my weight on the outside ski and forward enough to roll with it and stay totally on track -- that would not have been possible a year ago, I don't think. So, yay for progress and yay for demoing and yay for not being overly influenced by ski shop dudes who were very skeptical than I really wanted a 172 cm ski, because now I have a much better tool for the job and it's awesome!

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also ski the Head Total Joys! I look forward to chatting about them at Sugarbush! It sounds like you may be skiing them better/harder than I do, but I am also very pleased with their performance!
I was looking at Total Joys. My daughter/former racer always skis her slaloms and I thought these might be a good all mountain ski for her. She loves her head GS skis, so thought these could be good for her. I might see if I can demo them. Have either of you tried them in bumps? Id love your feedback !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly