• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me ideate about a spring 2025 family ski trip

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Anyone want to engage in some fun family ski trip ideation?

Background: we live and primarily ski in Western NY with extended family scattered all over the country. We try to get together with each little subset at least once every two years.

I have been talking with my two sisters-in-law about a big family trip to Colorado in the first part of 2025 (one SIL lives in Boulder) to include a ski trip. The group would include:

-Me (intermediate skier)
-Husband (low advanced skier)
-Our Daughter (14 at time of trip, experienced but timid and likes greens)
-Colorado SIL and her husband (grew up skiing but haven't skied regularly in several years)
-CO Niece age 11 and niece age 9 (at this point just barely introduced to skiing but likely to return to learning over next 2 years)
-Florida SIL and her husband + nephew age 18 (true newbies -- maybe skied once or twice-- but down take a lesson and learn and have fun)
-Father-in-law and stepmother-in-law who will not ski

Due to school schedules for all the kids, we really have to go over either Presidents Day break or spring Easter break. (Yes, it will be crowded and expensive! LOL. Though this might be the last real window to all get together before my nephew graduates high-school.) Preference is to stay on-site so there's the option for folks to go back to the room midday. Not necessarily all looking to stay in one big house -- probably best if we don't!

So I am looking for ideas of a family oriented ski resort in CO where beginners and intermediates could enjoy up to 2-3 days of skiing, while non-skiers could also have some wintery fun. This would be my nuclear family's first BIG ski trip as a family, too.

I had been looking at Winter Park as a possibility, but open to other thoughts!

I know 2025 is so far away, but it will take a lot of logistical planning to get everyone there. Plus I am already thinking how what we decide might influence what passes we buy on early bird next spring ...

Also open to being told you have tried this type of trip with family and it was a disaster and we should keep our ski time and family time separate. :rotf:

Christy

Angel Diva
Beaver Creek. Great for intermediates and beginners. Less crowded than other options. Skiing cost will be reasonable will Epic. Lots of slopeside lodging, though that will likely be the pricey part. People will come out into the snow to give you cookies. I think non-skiers can entertain themselves to some degree at BC, though for more options they can take a bus to Vail.

I've done in law ski trips and I think it works well. If you need space you can get that when on the slopes.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Telluride has potential because of the gondola that means a car isn't need to get from the mountain to the town. Good terrain for beginners and intermediates. On a clear day the view from the ridge top blue groomer is amazing. Also have ski bikes available. A Partner resort on Epic at the moment. Hard to say if that will still be the case for 2025. Lodging is pricey because of limited availability.

Steamboat could be good over Pres. Day if staying the entire week. Only Sat and Sun would be really crowded between 11:00-3:00. Night skiing could be a plus for energetic kids. Another destination resort and ski town where a car isn't needed to get around. More family fun activities than near Winter Park. Has the advantage of being at a lower altitude.

Snowmass is worth checking out. Since the free bus system makes it easy to get to Buttermilk and/or Aspen Highlands, can explore more than one mountain. Although Snowmass has more than enough terrain at any ability level.

These three are all far enough away from Denver that the crowds are slightly smaller than resorts along I-70. Can either fly to a smaller airport close in or drive from a major airport.

CoachDeb

Diva in Training
I love the Telluride suggestion. Great for beginners (all ski levels) and plenty for non-skiers to do. All will love the gondola. Two areas to check out with Mountain Village and the town of Telluride. Gondola is transportation between the two.

We skied Crested Butte this year and I (a newer skier) loved it! More challenging green runs were great. Also not the easiest place to get to. Like all ski areas, there are options for other snow activities or shopping

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Easy to get to but definitely can get crowded is Park City. I've been there probably half dozen times and the town does not disappoint. Non skiers will love it. Art galleries, shops, excellent restaurants and fun vibe. Went mid February as a family trip with BF and was not crowded at all. We stayed kind of slope side off the Town Lift trail in a 4 bedroom house. It was fantastic ! We had to climb up to the trail as there was so much snow, but could ski directly to the house after skiing. So we were not dealing with parking issues, the town is walking distance as we were staying directly on the street above the town (steep stairs everywhere to get you from the town of Park City up to the street we were on)... There were 3 couples and 2 kids (11 and 13) all BF's family and we had a blast...

Keelerwoman

Diva in Training
Anyone want to engage in some fun family ski trip ideation?

Background: we live and primarily ski in Western NY with extended family scattered all over the country. We try to get together with each little subset at least once every two years.

I have been talking with my two sisters-in-law about a big family trip to Colorado in the first part of 2025 (one SIL lives in Boulder) to include a ski trip. The group would include:

-Me (intermediate skier)
-Husband (low advanced skier)
-Our Daughter (14 at time of trip, experienced but timid and likes greens)
-Colorado SIL and her husband (grew up skiing but haven't skied regularly in several years)
-CO Niece age 11 and niece age 9 (at this point just barely introduced to skiing but likely to return to learning over next 2 years)
-Florida SIL and her husband + nephew age 18 (true newbies -- maybe skied once or twice-- but down take a lesson and learn and have fun)
-Father-in-law and stepmother-in-law who will not ski

Due to school schedules for all the kids, we really have to go over either Presidents Day break or spring Easter break. (Yes, it will be crowded and expensive! LOL. Though this might be the last real window to all get together before my nephew graduates high-school.) Preference is to stay on-site so there's the option for folks to go back to the room midday. Not necessarily all looking to stay in one big house -- probably best if we don't!

So I am looking for ideas of a family oriented ski resort in CO where beginners and intermediates could enjoy up to 2-3 days of skiing, while non-skiers could also have some wintery fun. This would be my nuclear family's first BIG ski trip as a family, too.

I had been looking at Winter Park as a possibility, but open to other thoughts!

I know 2025 is so far away, but it will take a lot of logistical planning to get everyone there. Plus I am already thinking how what we decide might influence what passes we buy on early bird next spring ...

Also open to being told you have tried this type of trip with family and it was a disaster and we should keep our ski time and family time separate. :rotf:
If you are open to a different location, you might check out Mt. Bachelor just outside Bend, Oregon for the mountain that would appeal to everyone on your list, and a stay in Sunriver, (just south of Bend and a short, 20 minute drive to the mountain.) We've gone annually at that time, there is tons to do, recreation oriented, laid back community with tubing hills, ice rink, restaurants, and nice residential community designed for vacationers. You could rent a house big enough for the entire family, or stay in a different type of lodging - there are tons of choices! Check it out!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna