• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me get pumped for women's clinic?

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Friends, I am doing the Your Turn women's clinic at Holiday Valley next week and I might be FREAKING OUT a little. Hoping the divas can help me reframe and get excited again instead. (Reassure me they will be kind and supportive and if it turns out I am terrible I can just gracefully take a break, right?)

The lack of snow has left me feeling like I don't have my legs under me yet. My tiny bump has just one hill open still and I had just the worst day yesterday and my legs were like "that's a no from us, dog" so I quit after one run. Boo.

In an effort to reclaim some feeling of control over my ski life, I called the ski shop partner to ask about demo options that are planned to be available at the 2-day clinic. Schedule looks like we should get to try at least 4 skis with instruction. BONUS: talked to a lovely woman on the phone at Mud, Sweat and Gears who was very encouraging about the clinic! (And I was able to be like, I am a plus size skier, can you make sure you bring some longer choices?)

They are planning to bring:
Nordica Wild Belle 84
Atomic Cloud 12 (seems too much like a race ski for my tastes)
Nordica Santa Ana
Volkl Kenja
Black Pearl 88 and 82

I also asked them about the Elan Wildcat/Wingman, which they may or may not be bringing but do have in their demo fleet.

Right now I ski a too-short 2019 Atomic vantage x77 cti (154 cm.) And so no one has to ask, I do have boots that were professionally fitted. LOL. 5'7"-5'8" tall, about 210 pounds, intermediate skier.

Would love the divas' thoughts on the demos above for East Coast, all mountain. And if I like something but it feels short, does getting the same thing but longer usually successfully translate? I hope to buy new skis by the end of this season.

Jilly

Staff member
I've done 2 women's camps for recreational skiers and many women's camps for instructors. For you to try for our east conditions...Cloud 12. This is a frontside carver and what you'll need with the ice and hardpack we have.

At Roxy, we did ski offs to narrow down the groups. The first year we had about 5 "ski diva's" with our own Diva' instructor. I laughed when Chloe looked over and said...I'm taking this group - right here! They're my Diva's.

I think you'll find the group very supportive. Even at the instructor level groups I've been in, it's been that way. Some people might need a little shove to get them out of their comfort zone, but it will be done well.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Friends, I am doing the Your Turn women's clinic at Holiday Valley next week and I might be FREAKING OUT a little. Hoping the divas can help me reframe and get excited again instead. (Reassure me they will be kind and supportive and if it turns out I am terrible I can just gracefully take a break, right?)
This is just excited nervous anticipation! It's gonna be fun! You're gonna work hard, but everyone's there for the same reason: to learn and improve in a positive environment. Bowing out a bit early carries no shame; knowing your body & speaking up (so you can be back out the next day) is a more important skill.

You are not, and will not, be terrible! Hint: Falling over while concentrating on a new skill is normal. Our brains tend to forget about everything else we know when learning a new focused task. Volunteer to go first, then watch as everyone else finds new ways to fall over / spin around / whatever after you!

The lack of snow has left me feeling like I don't have my legs under me yet. My tiny bump has just one hill open still and I had just the worst day yesterday and my legs were like "that's a no from us, dog" so I quit after one run. Boo.

Good to quit while ahead! It takes several shortened days to get back to "uh, maybe I remember how to ski?" each year for me.

You'll be learning improved ski techniques at the clinic (= efficiency & more energy), along with instruction time... You're gonna hold up!

Would love the divas' thoughts on the demos above for East Coast, all mountain. And if I like something but it feels short, does getting the same thing but longer usually successfully translate? I hope to buy new skis by the end of this season.
Those ski choices look fun for the East (or Midwest if you wanna visit)!

Some skis will scale up (tip/tail/waist/sidecut/stiffness) by length, others won't. Super helpful, right?! Might take a little research and/or reaching out to the manufacturer/Divas if you're buying a different size than demoed.

Looking forward to your feedback on the clinic after it's complete :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Should have also said that.. I’ve been in plenty of classes, co-ed too, when people bow out early due to conditions/feeling tired/just not feeling it/etc. No one cares, they are all more worried about whatever they are working on. So never feel an issue there, just do what feels right for yourself and where you are. We are always so self conscious, but people are way more inward facing in these situations I’ve found.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Wildcat is a stupid amount of fun but it doesn't like to go slow. Reasonably stiff, frontside oriented but works very well in choppy snow. I'd think narrower for ice coast but at 86 these are pretty great for out West.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I've done 2 women's camps for recreational skiers and many women's camps for instructors. For you to try for our east conditions...Cloud 12. This is a frontside carver and what you'll need with the ice and hardpack we have.
I appreciate this! I will try not to write them off like I did at first above! LOL

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@Knitjenious - I should have been there with you, WAAAAHHHHHH … then you would have known there was a friendly!!!

here are some reframes:
1) dude, you’re a bada$$ learning something as a full on grown adult. Anyone who has done it knows how hard it is and respects you, anyone who hasn’t really isn’t as courageous as you, so… who are they to judge?
2) I saw this above, but worth repeating: remember that growth requires discomfort. Breaking bad habits or ingraining good habits is hard, otherwise we would all be non-smokers and eat 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
3) It’s YOUR TURN to invest in yourself, and you’ll be with other women who want to do the same and hang out having fun doing something fun. There’s NO downside.

Have a blast, let me know how it is and I HOPE you love it so much!!!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Oh, also, we are going to need demo reviews, right? Because I would bet I’ll like a lot of the same skis, and today I was thinking about my quiver, and how if I wanted narrow and all mountain skis, next year would be the right year for the narrower waist skis… so I can ski my current all mountains until I’m ready to give them to DD and get new ones…. :wink:

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Oh, also, we are going to need demo reviews, right? Because I would bet I’ll like a lot of the same skis, and today I was thinking about my quiver, and how if I wanted narrow and all mountain skis, next year would be the right year for the narrower waist skis… so I can ski my current all mountains until I’m ready to give them to DD and get new ones…. :wink:
You got it! I will definitely give my intermediate skier mom bod impressions of each of the skis I get to try! :smile:

I am also plotting to give my current skis to my daughter in a couple years. I think she will need ooooone more pair in between her current skis and my 154s ...

pamdl

Certified Ski Diva
I am so jealous. It was 20 years or so ago that I decided to get back to skiing after a long hiatus. I did a 5 day Women's camp at Okemo and it was just so good. When I arrived I was skiing on my very long and very straight Volant sticks very infrequently and when I left I had sprung for my first shaped skis. In addition to great instruction and tons of encouragement and feedback, I got to demo lots of skis. The buzzy ski among the instructors was a Volkl carver with a 68 in waist. It was the most fun ski and that's what I bought. Fast forward yet another long hiatus, and I was so sad to discover those skis were too old to be put into use again. I still think of them with affection. But all that to say, you will probably have more fun and feel better about your skiing and leave with lots to help you keep improving, so have fun!

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
So thankful for all the kind and encouraging comments here! I decided to drive down to Holiday Valley today to just ski for the day and get more comfortable prior to the clinic on Wednesday, and I am so glad I did. I only got a 4-hour ticket, but I rode pretty much every open lift at least once and FINALLY feel like I have my feet under me for the season. (Bonus, I managed to avoid the fear-response burning feet that I asked about in another thread! LOL.) And I got some intel about which lodge we will be meeting in the first morning, so now I know where that it and scoped it out, too.

Because I was really still warming up for the year, I stuck to green and blue terrain today. I found my rhythm on the well-groomed sections but was getting my butt kicked by the thick 3-inch slushy man-made powder that was on the bottom quarter of just about every hill. I get in my head and my technique to manage it isnt great yet and it wears me out. So hey, something to work on in the clinic!

Getting super excited about all the demos and spent yesterday watching Ski Essentials reviews of all the available options, too. I am as ready as I am gonna be!!

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Oh, friends, at the clinic and struggling today.

Hard parts first: they were really kinda disorganized and didn't communicate well with participants in advance and the day just started rough. I didn't end up taking out demo skis in the morning because of the chaos, but whatever. Instruction on my current skis first seemed like a good plan. But then I struggled to settle back in after lunch on the demo I picked and just felt totally overwhelmed. I was really tired by the end, didn't feel like I was skiing my best at all, and just felt like an idiot for even coming.

Gonna look for some bright spots: I dressed just right for the weather and was not too cold or too hot all day. We got a couple inches of fresh snow. I found a reasonably matched buddy in my group (even if we are the two slowest and most timid ones, me being the objectively actual slowest. Someone has to be, right?) And I was able to communicate to my lovely and kind instructor when I needed to spin off and do a couple runs by myself to just work on internalizing all the feedback.

Nothing a good cry in the bathtub before dinner won't fix, I suppose. At least I have a nice hotel room to myself for the night before putting myself through the physical, mental and emotional wringer again tomorrow.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Aww, sorry it didn't start out so well for you. Hopefully they'll get their act together for tomorrow!

I really wish I could have made this clinic. Next year for sure.

MissySki

Angel Diva
The good points sound really good though!!

Finding someone you could relate to in the group is great and confirms you are in the right place. It sounds like you have a wonderful instructor and were comfortable calling it quits when needed for the day. Lots of wins there! :smile:

Honestly.. I love to demo skis, but I don't think I necessarily would during a clinic because I'd be concerned about trying to feel comfortable on a ski if I didn't jive with it right away.. and I have had a number of occasions where I take one run and cannot wait to get off of a ski I'm demoing! IF that part did cause any undue stress, perhaps stick with your own skis tomorrow, to take one potentially unsettling variable off of the table?

Hope tomorrow starts out in a more organized fashion!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Glad you’re able to find some highlights. TBH, a solo night in a hotel room sounds fantastic… LOL.

You know this… but worth restating: learning things is incredibly challenging as an adult, because to be open to learn, we have to go to the very vulnerable place of accepting that we aren’t “there”… if anything, your vulnerability is your superpower at a clinic.

Sending good vibes.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Knitjenious feel you on all of it - and damn I so want to ski with you now!
Also I have to search “burning feet” because I inexplicably experience that from time to time. Sounds like you figured it out!

A few seasons ago we shared the same height and weight and once I found the sweet spot on the ski nobody could keep up! I have a feeling you’ll be most improved by the end of it. :smile: Def want to hear your impressions of the demo skis and see some updates on how the rest of the camp goes.

You got this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna