• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me choose skis for my son

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
These skis will be for my more aggressive kiddo. He can ski anything groomed on the mountain and has made a lot of progress on bumps.

The local shop has a good deal on Volkl mantra and Black Crows Junius. He’s 12 so has growing ahead of him. Unless there is a huge difference m, I’m inclined to go with the cheaper ones. Also, I know nothing about bindings whatsoever. I’ve always blindly followed ski shop pro recommendation but the kids guy at our local place does not inspire much confidence.

Thanks in advance

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Volkl mantra jr uses a wood core whereas the black crows junius is a foam core. I’d choose the Volkl. For bindings much of the Salomon line has an extended heel track that can grow 3 boot sizes so if something there is available at your shop that could get some more flexibility too.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mantra Junior will be great for him if growing and progressing. Regarding bindings, if he is doing a lot of growing you want something that can adjust at least 2-3 boot sizes!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Volkl mantra jr uses a wood core whereas the black crows junius is a foam core.
I read this and thought there's no way BC could make a ski with *gasp* a foam core! But @SarahXC is right on the money. And for FWIW I had very good luck withe the "JR" versions of Volkl skis for my DD at that age.

That being said, the equivalent Black Crows ski would be the Camox JR. which has similar specs to the Mantra Jr. Camox is 90mm /16 turn radius at 149 vs the Mantra 86mm / 14.5 turn radius at 148.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Thanks. we are going with a mantra and a look binding that has to grow. He is a lucky kiddo.
I think that is your best option. I can't comment on the Mantra, but we've owned Volkl's and have loved them all. We're mostly a Blizzard family at the moment, but I just got my oldest Volkl Revolts for Christmas, and each of us would be happy to return to Volkl in the future. They make great skis, for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna