• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

helmet?

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Horsey Ski Divas,

I have a riding lesson lined up for this Friday. Do you think that my snow helmet will work for riding, at least for now? This is my helmet. I have the EPS hard foam kind.

abc

Banned
Might get awfully hot...

Not a horsey woman. So I really don't knwo what I'm talking about. ;-)

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fortunately, the wool liner pulls out completely - so it's not any warmer than a typical cycling helmet if I take the liner out.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's really up to the instructor/barn owner if they'll allow a non-riding helmet. My understanding of riding helmets is they are designed to withstand a fall from higher up (because you are higher up!) They also usually come down further in the back. I'm sure any helmet will offer some level of protection, but a riding helmet would be best. Go buy the $29 Troxel--I have one and have for years. It's perfectly fine if you aren't riding daily and aren't showing in it.

And BTW, glad to hear you found a place to take a lesson! Keep us posted!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Coincidentally,nI have my first lesson of the season this Friday, too.

Your ski helmet looks like it has ear coverings. You may find it hard to hear the instructor when you're in the ring. I second Contesstant's idea about the Troxel.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Second what contesstant said--it's up to the barn/instructor as to whether they will allow it or not. Maybe give a call first and ask.
Riding helmets are designed on similar principles as ski helmets--hard styrofoam inside to absorb impact, but there may be differences in the design that we don't take into account.
If you have a tack shop nearby, it may be worth it to just go and pick up a cheap riding helmet-- the prices range from about $35-$500 but they are all certified, so get what fits your budget and what fits your head shape.
Keep us posted about your lesson!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly