• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Helmet Study

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
When I took my helmet off yesterday, a chunk of the padding fell out from the back right-hand side. It ticked me off, but I ordered a replacement right away and will be chucking the old helmet (it's a K2, the one in my picture. I bought a very similar replacement). I have taken at least three good blows to the head in this helmet (one from a snowboarder who hit me from behind on a green run), and I guess it is time to say goodbye. I've also been cranged in the head a few times by chairlifts (because I am turned around watching for it and bent over like a fool, I guess). Paradise Chair at Lake Louise is just the worst for smacking me in the head.

I have had a few concussions (equestrian (no helmet that time) and figure skating related), but none from skiing. I like seeing people in helmets. :smile:

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
I used to rock climb a lot, and never wore a helmet then as I felt they messed with my balance and screwed with my peripheral vision. But I guess we get older and wiser, and now I just couldn't see riding, biking, or skiing without protecting my noggin.

Would like to see lighter helmets though, and ones that don't block my hearing so much.

newboots

Angel Diva
Sometimes I see someone and I think, what a goofball! Then I try to figure out what gave me that impression. The goofballs are skiing without helmets! (Or snowboard riding.) They look out of place and, despite wearing snow pants, give me the impression they're wearing jeans.

This is a good development. I think all the cool kids wear helmets.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
“I have taken at least three good blows to the head in this helmet”

Please please please replace a helmet after any accident where they are impacted. They can get internal damage you cannot see and then not do their job next time.

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
“I have taken at least three good blows to the head in this helmet”

Please please please replace a helmet after any accident where they are impacted. They can get internal damage you cannot see and then not do their job next time.
I know that. My bad :(

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Until we develop some kind of internal brain-restraint, I'm afraid the burden for avoiding TBIs is going to remain on the individual to avoid impacts.

This is a good point. After getting injured, people asked me “How did you get a concussion if you were wearing a helmet”? I had to remind them that the brain essentially floats in a pool of fluid inside a hard casing. With enough impact, the brain smacks into the casing, and nothing on the outside can stop it. To a person they became visibly queasy.

The bottom line is, skiing is a high risk sport. It’s important to do it properly and in control. But the question will always remain whether the pleasure of engaging in any high risk activity — skiing, biking, climbing — is worth the risk.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For those interested, the videos on the CDC webpage about concussions are worth viewing. Geared towards parents, but really applies to anyone. I learned a lot when my daughter was required to do the concussion awareness training program that was designed for high school athletes. Parents were required to do it for new students. Students are required to repeat the course every two years. It was an online course, with questions to check that someone is paying attention.

https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/basics/concussion_symptoms.html

One of the points emphasized in the course for high school athletes is that staying off the playing field and taking it easy is VERY important. Really need to give the brain time to fully recover. Once someone has had a concussion, they are more susceptible to another one.

USA Swimming requires all coaches to have concussion awareness training. My hubby just completed the course which is quite comprehensive - it took a couple of hours+.

jskis190

Certified Ski Diva
I was very reluctant to wear a helmet. My mom had just bought one when she injured herself (seat not down on chair) and her ski days were over. She insisted that I try her helmet, and I did just to keep the peace. Imagine my surprise when I realized it was the perfect head covering for me. No more itchy hats, cold ears and wondering if I looked good in the current hat. With a helmet and goggles, everyone looks similar. I couldn't imagine skiing without it now.

Jilly

Staff member
I was very reluctant to wear a helmet. My mom had just bought one when she injured herself (seat not down on chair) and her ski days were over. She insisted that I try her helmet, and I did just to keep the peace. Imagine my surprise when I realized it was the perfect head covering for me. No more itchy hats, cold ears and wondering if I looked good in the current hat. With a helmet and goggles, everyone looks similar. I couldn't imagine skiing without it now.

They are just plain warm!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly