• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Helmet recommendations for egghead :) (oval vs round head)

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
I have been looking at helmets and found the same issue I have with my (horseback) riding helmets, most are more for round heads than oval. So it fits tight front to back but I can stick my hands in on either side of my head. I had a double ACDF (cervical fusion) a few years ago and am prone to headaches, especially with tight pressure on the front/back of my head and can't have a heavy helmet as it increases strain on my neck and that in turn causes headaches.

Anyone have brand/model helmet recommendations for a good, lightweight, helmet for us oval heads that has vents that can be open/shut?

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Try to find helmets with the BOA adjuster that can tighten the helmet around the head. I have found the basic helmets with no tightener don't fit correctly. Also some have an adjustment on the back of the helmet that helps the helmet wrap around the back of the head better by positioning the helmet more forward or backward on the head. I have a more egg-shaped head and found some Smith helmets fit better than others. There are some very nice light, but expensive, helmets out there. Look for last season models for savings. I can't wear a heavy helmet either otherwise I will get a headache.

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you, I'll have to look closer at the tightening mechanism. I had one with a dial but seemed to tighten too much to the front and back and the helmet seemed unstable side to side still. I have a 22" noggin so I am just on the low end of the medium, but a bit too big for a small, especially if I am going to wear a balacava. I know if it torques my neck and/or gives me a headache I won't wear it. I get headaches from glasses, hats and goggles easily, so I wear those relatively loose...but I know it's time for a helmet.

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
Ah I see now they have round/oval, oval and long oval head shapes. I will have to do more digging and see which I fall into....

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I recommend heading to different sporting good stores and trying on many. I know for Smith the men's and women's are the same, just different colors and materials. Women's tend to have fuzzier materials but sizing and size ranges are the same. Even within a brand the fit can vary depending on the model.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd recommend, as others have, to go to a shop and try several on. I have a Smith Vantage MIPS that works well with my oval noggin. It was the only helmet brand that fit me (Oakley, Glade, Giro were all no-go's). I have the same issues, also, with riding helmets. Tipperary is pretty much the only brand that I can use, and of course it is the higher priced models that work the best. Le sigh.

newboots

Angel Diva
The padding can be played with in some helmets, which might help with too much room on the sides. See if there’s someone at your local ski shops who is knowledgeable on this.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My current and previous Salomon helmets fit my egg-head nicely. Also I -almost- bought a new helmet while in Germany (took too long deciding for shipping to get it there before flying out.) It was the Head Rachel / Radar with integrated visor, but it doesn't have the "visor" look as much. But that one also fit my head well when I tried it on in a store.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@KKL2018 fwiw have Ovation riding helmet just ordered Giro Avera mips helmet to replace prior year Giro lightweight helmet.

I think lighter may work better for you? The Avera /Neo is pretty light weight.

Also I find some helmets just feel "off balance" for me which leads to that headache feeling ....

MissySki

Angel Diva
I also have the Smith Vantage for my oval head. For some reason I also felt like the men’s fit a bit better than the women’s so I got that. :noidea:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recommend heading to different sporting good stores and trying on many. I know for Smith the men's and women's are the same, just different colors and materials. Women's tend to have fuzzier materials but sizing and size ranges are the same. Even within a brand the fit can vary depending on the model.

This. Your best bet, like others have said is just to get to some stores and try a bunch on. If you can find someone in a store that is knowledgeable about helmet fit, even better! I was able to find a guy at one of our local shops that to this day I just call the helmet whisperer b/c he was able to take a look at my head shape and my description of the issue and find me a great fit within minutes.

I've always had Giro helmets. Had the Giro Sheer for years, but it would leave imprints on my forehead b/c it was too tight front-to-back in order to get a better side fit (I also have a long egghead that is is narrow side-to-side and longer front-to-back). I ended up taking a step down in their line to the Giro Era and it fit sooo much better for my head shape than the Sheer, so like @HikenSki said, it's not even consistent within a brand as far as head shape fit.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Smith helmets don’t fit me at all - press on my forehead and are wide on the sides. Giro is what fits my oval head. From what I read online in reviews/blogs, Smith is normally recommended for round and Giro for oval. My daughter and I both have oval heads and wear Giro, and my son and husband both have round heads and wear Smith.

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
@WaterGirl I also have a Ovation riding helmet ;) I found the troxel, which many use, are best suited for more round heads. I will have to go store to store and try a bunch more ski helmets on.

I also found they are cut way lower in the back than riding helmets--is this the case with all? I usually keep it pulled back down very low in a bun or braid, but it was still pushing the helmet forward. I wish they had a pony tail cut out. I have a ton of long baby fine frizzy curly hair that needs to be tamed.

sakebu

Diva in Training
I have been looking at helmets and found the same issue I have with my (horseback) riding helmets, most are more for round heads than oval. So it fits tight front to back but I can stick my hands in on either side of my head. I had a double ACDF (cervical fusion) a few years ago and am prone to headaches, especially with tight pressure on the front/back of my head and can't have a heavy helmet as it increases strain on my neck and that in turn causes headaches.

Anyone have brand/model helmet recommendations for a good, lightweight, helmet for us oval heads that has vents that can be open/shut?
May I ask: Were you pleased with ACDF surgery? C5 and C6, here. I have numbness in arms at night that is keeping me up, and arms are weak and painful. Dread having this surgery. I want to continue to ski, along with so many other things!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Smith helmets are the only brand that fit my oval noggin. Plus, I love the integration w/their goggles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly