• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Helmet Light Mounts?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone know a way to mount a Nite Ize light on a helmet without having to use a permanent adhesive-based bracket? They make a portable strap that you can run through a helmet's vents, but both my Smith helmets (skiing and biking) have honeycomb material covering the vents that prevents using the strap. For biking I just use an old non-Smith helmet when I ride at night, but I would like to put a light on top of my ski helmet for backcountry (well, "sidecountry," really) climbing and skiing. Thanks.

newboots

Angel Diva
Anyone know a way to mount a Nite Ize light on a helmet without having to use a permanent adhesive-based bracket? They make a portable strap that you can run through a helmet's vents, but both my Smith helmets (skiing and biking) have honeycomb material covering the vents that prevents using the strap. For biking I just use an old non-Smith helmet when I ride at night, but I would like to put a light on top of my ski helmet for backcountry (well, "sidecountry," really) climbing and skiing. Thanks.

You’re nuts.

or,
Death Wish?

:clap:

:hail:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mostly what I had in mind was skinning up easy places in the dark and then skiing down in the morning light. I did that a bunch last winter at S6 and enjoyed watching the sunrise from the top.
But there are also some small hills and hayfields here on and around campus, and I'm thinking of putting together a group called "Night Sliders," kids who want to sled, board, or ski a little in the afternoons or after dinner. More an excuse to play outside than anything else. Given our..., let's say "student profile", I think some powerful light might be in order.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat I get it! Sounds Fun!!!! This time of year I become a "vampire" surfer - dusk and dawn and I do full moon SUP. All w/out any additional light. Always thinking about how to water proof a headlamp.

For the up do you need your helmet? what about getting a "clip on" light for the brim of your helmet - something that would work on a baseball cap? I don't see why a goggle strap holder wouldn't keep a headlamp with elastic falling off. Alternatively, a light you can clip on to your chest similar to a body go pro mount (google chest led harness) ? or if you have a backpack, why not attach the light to a sternum strap?

you could add these -- https://actionglow.com/products/led-ski-lighting-system

newboots

Angel Diva
Mostly what I had in mind was skinning up easy places in the dark and then skiing down in the morning light. I did that a bunch last winter at S6 and enjoyed watching the sunrise from the top.
But there are also some small hills and hayfields here on and around campus, and I'm thinking of putting together a group called "Night Sliders," kids who want to sled, board, or ski a little in the afternoons or after dinner. More an excuse to play outside than anything else. Given our..., let's say "student profile", I think some powerful light might be in order.

Okay. Maybe not nuts. More like unstoppable!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat I get it! Sounds Fun!!!! This time of year I become a "vampire" surfer - dusk and dawn and I do full moon SUP. All w/out any additional light. Always thinking about how to water proof a headlamp.

For the up do you need your helmet? what about getting a "clip on" light for the brim of your helmet - something that would work on a baseball cap? I don't see why a goggle strap holder wouldn't keep a headlamp with elastic falling off. Alternatively, a light you can clip on to your chest similar to a body go pro mount (google chest led harness) ? or if you have a backpack, why not attach the light to a sternum strap?

All great ideas; thanks! Last year I just used a regular hiking headlamp for the skin up and it was perfectly fine. I like the idea of a chest mount. I guess I have the crazy-bright Nite Ize for biking and was hoping for a cheap bracket to get them on my helmet (without a dorky-looking permanent mount) for more serious night-time goofing around.

Jilly

Staff member
My chesty mount for the Go-Pro has a clip in for the Go-Pro mount. Don't know if there are any lites that would work for that.

I know there are pictures out there on the Internet of people skinning up at dark, so there must be something that is used.

elemmac

Angel Diva
@SallyCat - Any chance your bike helmet is a Forefront or Forefront 2? Smith makes a specific clip you can add to those two helmets. Even though it goes on with a screw and a little bit of adhesive tape, it's low profile and works really well.

I spent quite awhile fighting against adding an adhesive mount, because I didn't want it on there all the time, and as you said, I thought they can look dorky...but after I did it, I don't regret it at all. People can think I look dorky all they want...I've tried many things...zip tie a headlamp, the thru strap (that doesn't work with my current helmet), handlebar light only...the adhesive mount works the best, IMO.

But if you're really against going the adhesive mount, here's a couple ideas to consider....
- A headlamp with a good rubber strap or a "non-slip" interior...the rubber will keep it in place around your helmet. (I use one for my hardhat at work, though it's a bit heavy, it stays put)
- Clips for a normal headlamp. Linked to one example, but I'm sure there's others out there.
- You could also add Velcro to the inside of the headlamp, and a thin strip to your helmet. Where the strap around your helmet and the Velcro will help keep it from slipping off. It's a different "permanent" option, but might be less noticeable than the mount.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are in the market for a new helmet you could just get a skimo type helmet which would offer integrated clips for a headlamp. I don't usually wear my helmet for the skin up, so I would just wear a thin hat with the headlamp on and then change out when I strip my skins for the down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly