• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Helmet audio?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Am I the only one who was like “oh look, popping out this foam piece lets the Chip sit right inside like it was meant to be there all along??” Lol
:smile: fwiw I was checking out my helmet the other day (a Smith... Valence?) and the pads don't really come out without some peeling -- they're kind of glued in, but very weakly. So I think I'll see how the chips feel in there with the pads in place before I do anything more drastic, though I don't think it will be a problem to take the pads out if that seems better.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
To be fair, it took me half a season to realize the ear foam inserts can be separated from the rest of the foam in the ear muffs (which appeared to be glued/attached to the inside in some way).

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought Eco Pucks last season and I had no idea how much music makes me ski better until I started using them! I keep the volume down enough that I can hear conversations and therefore what's going on around me. I use the phone function sometimes, but it's not the best for those on the other end of the call. Today was a powder day--I played the Foo Fighters and had a blast!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I bought Eco Pucks last season and I had no idea how much music makes me ski better until I started using them! I keep the volume down enough that I can hear conversations and therefore what's going on around me. I use the phone function sometimes, but it's not the best for those on the other end of the call. Today was a powder day--I played the Foo Fighters and had a blast!
I agree! I think it has to do with focusing on the beat and getting out of my head, in my case.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just ordered some headphones & looking forward to having them this season. Mainly because it will enable me to better handle my inevitable work calls. I hadn't really been thinking of playing music with them. But I'm intrigued at the better skiing with music. So now I want to know... does anyone have a skiing playlist?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just posted my review of the Cardo PackTalk Communicator System on TheSkiDiva blog, if anyone's interested.
I was just reading your blog post, very interesting! I don't think I have a need for the additional capabilities currently (I only use mine for music and choose not to take calls and such when skiing in general), but if friends I ski with had them it would potentially be an incentive to be able to communicate while skiing.

Idahoskier

Diva in Training
I use BE Headwear from Amazon. I've used mine for 4 seasons and they are still going strong. They happen to be on sale for $39 right now but they've never been over $50. I have had 2 smith helmets in those 4 years and the BE Headwear speakers fit both helmets. I put the speakers on the outside of the foam that is in my helmet ear pockets so the foam sits on my ears not the speaker. For me there is a sweet spot where they do not put any pressure on my ears. I do sometimes have to adjust the speaker I pull out to charge if I'm getting some pressure.

A lot of people are anti speaker. I keep the volume low enough that I can hear people around me and have a conversation on the chairlift but just loud enough to hear skiing. I'm in a much better rhythm when I have music.

Here is an Amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HSXKQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Used my new Chips for the first time this past weekend and they're great. I really should have gotten some years ago but was being a cranky old person about being unplugged while out in nature, or something. Can now confirm that skiing bumps to Lizzo is A+++.

The ear pads in my helmet (a Smith Valence I think) are in 3 sections but not removable, so I ended up cutting out the middle section so that the Chips could sit between the 2 edge pieces without squishing my ears. I can slide the middle piece of foam back in if needed, but unless I'm skiing on a very cold day without the Chips in I'm not sure I'll ever bother.

Anyways, I love them! Thanks all.

Jilly

Staff member
I have 1 ear pad that has the cut, the other seems to be glued where it should be....So I'm cutting that one too, Smith helmet too. Fit fine in my Salomon.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly