• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Helmet audio?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Historically I've never listened to music while skiing, but I'd like to start. I am not a gearhead at all, so ideally you all could just tell me what helmet audio system to buy and that would be that. :smile: I am really just looking for something that's a decent value and good quality, and am willing to pay a little more for something that is well built and just works.

Which ones do you all use? Any particularly good / bad experiences with specific models? I have a Smith helmet, in case that changes things (not sure if audio / helmet tend to work best with you stick with the same brand, the way goggles / helmet of the same brand can).

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have Outdoor Tech chips, they slip right into the zippered ear pieces of my Smith Vantage helmet. I love them!! Had them for around 8 or so years now and they just work. Last a super long time between charges, connects to my phone with bluetooth easily. I have no complaints.

I just use them for music when skiing solo at times, I don’t take calls/texts or anything with them so can’t speak to that functionality.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Same as @MissySki ..... Have had them for many years but 2-3 yrs ago switched to wireless. I actually have taken calls on mine (sort of by accident)... you just press a button and answer. Never take phone out of pocket as no reason to.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Outdoor Tech chips in a Smith helmet, too, and absolutely love them. They're really simple to use and the sound quality is good. And as @santacruz skier says, you can use them to answer phone calls, which is pretty cool. Right now I'm testing a new system that combines an intercom with an audio system. I plan to review it in my blog in a week or so, so stay tuned......

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ditto on the chips. Just make sure your helmet earflaps have the little pockets for them.

The only downside for me is that my ears start to feel squished after a while, so I loosen my helmet strap on the chair. Oh, and they muffle people's voices a bit (when not playing music). But otherwise they are great.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I’ve had Outdoor Tech in my Smith helmet for a few years but friend upgraded to a Smith x Aleck 006 system from the Smith site and loves the communication features.​

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I also have the Outdoor Tech Chips 2.0 with a Smith helmet. My ears were squished, then I realized I can remove the helmet ear foam inserts. It’s been fine since. I only use it for phone calls and Siri.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also have the Outdoor Tech Chips 2.0 with a Smith helmet. My ears were squished, then I realized I can remove the helmet ear foam inserts. It’s been fine since. I only use it for phone calls and Siri.
OMG, that is a game-changer! Thanks for the suggestion!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is going exactly how I hoped it would. :smile: I will spend 3-5 min googling reviews and then order some Outdoor Tech Chips. Thanks everyone!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
OMG, that is a game-changer! Thanks for the suggestion!
I'm going to Tahoe tomorrow and my ears do feel a little squished. I thought the foam helps but now I'm removing mine!

Brilliant idea to remove foam pads, I will have to try that! I bought a new Smith helmet (no incidents with the old one but I replace every 4-5 years for ultra noggin protection) and got the Alex 006 system. Haven't tried it out yet (while skiing) 'cause I haven't skied yet! I love having music available while I ski that's easy to turn down or off. I take photos of the instructions and put them in an iPhoto album for easy access so when the season starts I will know how to use them!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So I removed the 4 in thick foam and omg pain went away! Thank you thank you!!!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
If this many people had an issue with it, you should all write to the company to tell them to specify this in their instructions!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
If this many people had an issue with it, you should all write to the company to tell them to specify this in their instructions!
lol, I am going to have to check and see if my Giro helmet has foam inserts in the ear flaps...when I got my Outdoor Tech I noticed my ears now feel a bit squished too.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Am I the only one who was like “oh look, popping out this foam piece lets the Chip sit right inside like it was meant to be there all along??” Lol

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
I just use plantronics backbeat FIT headphones under my helmet. Am able to press to turn them on and off, as well as going forward/back on the playlist, and answering the phone by pressing with my mittens on the outside of my hemet pads. Before testing that and seeing that it worked, I was close to getting chips...

I realize it's pretty basic, but it works, and they are the same headphones I use for working out anyway

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna