• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Heavy Powder Skis

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my Volkl Aura 100 waist skis for the groomers, moguls, crud, soft snow, and skiing in general. But I think they are too heavy for deep powder, as they are two sheets of metal. While I think it's obvious I should get a lighter powder ski, I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the type of ski that's needed for heavy PNW powder. I was skiing tracked out deep heavy powder the other day and my skis seemed heavy and unwieldy. You would think they would be great since they are so heavy and can cut through the thick snow. I would think a lighter ski would toss me around in heavy powder, so maybe I'm wrong and I'm just not very good at skiing in the deep heavy snow.

It's hard to demo skis on powder days because we don't get a lot of them in Seattle. Although it's snowmageddon for us right now!

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

newboots

Angel Diva
Excellent! The perfect combination!

Be sure to try other skis. Describe your level and interest to the sales people, especially if you find one who is knowledgeable. And ask your friends and google, because sometimes the sales folks just want you to buy something, rather than work hard to put you on the right ski. And ask here! :-)

Last edited:

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Excellent! The perfect combination!

Be sure to try other skis. Describe your level and interest to the sales people, especially if you find one who is knowledgeable. And ask your friends and google, because sometimes the sales folks just want you to buy something, rather than work hard to put you on the right ski. And ask here! :-)

Thanks! All good suggestions.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find my Armada JJs good in most soft conditions - I'd say they're moderately heavy but will be much more forgiving than the Auras. Also wider which will help too. I have some lighter powder skis as well and I'd be reluctant to try them in heavy chop, I think they'd get thrown around like crazy.

I struggle in deep heavy powder too but I think it's because I feel most comfortable when I'm doing short to medium radius turns. My husband is a much more directional skier and charges through where I'm trying to control what happens next. So for me confidence is definitely a factor. The other thing I find is that by the time I'm hitting the chopped up runs on a powder day, my legs are bit shot so everything is more difficult!

Hope you get to demo a few options in powder!

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find my Armada JJs good in most soft conditions - I'd say they're moderately heavy but will be much more forgiving than the Auras. Also wider which will help too. I have some lighter powder skis as well and I'd be reluctant to try them in heavy chop, I think they'd get thrown around like crazy.

I struggle in deep heavy powder too but I think it's because I feel most comfortable when I'm doing short to medium radius turns. My husband is a much more directional skier and charges through where I'm trying to control what happens next. So for me confidence is definitely a factor. The other thing I find is that by the time I'm hitting the chopped up runs on a powder day, my legs are bit shot so everything is more difficult!

Hope you get to demo a few options in powder!

I wish I could have demoed the Armada JJs today! Those are 116 right? I only demoed three skis because all the skis they had were too long for me (in the 170s).

I tried the Blizzard Shivas 104, which were awesome! I got lost in Northway (tight trees and untracked powder) and they served me well as I carefully made my way out. My Volkl Auras wouldn't have done well out there.

I hated the K2 Mindbenders 106. I couldn't figure out how to ski them, they were just terrible. I was lucky to get down the mountain on them. Who says skis don't really matter?!

I also tried to Salmon Stellas 106 and they were pretty good, but I didn't like them as much as the Sheevas.

I'd like to demo the Black Crows Atris Birdie 108 sometime. I may just rent them from a local store for the day. I am also wondering if I should try wider?

I think you are right in that it may be time for me to pick a line and just ski it rather than picking my way through the moguls. lol

While powder is rare in the PNW, heavy snow is pretty easy to come by! And it does seem like a powder ski does really well in heavy, wet, chopped up snow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly