• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Heavenly 2/7-2/8

gingerjess

Angel Diva
So I just finished the first day of a two day trip to Heavenly! It's incredibly exciting after staying locked down for the last two months.

I went into today pretty worried, to be honest. The last two-day trip back in November barely was enough time to get me back in the groove of skiing and feeling confident in my ability, and I was scared it'd be back to square one. Luckily that turned out not to be the case and I found my rhythm pretty quickly this time.

Heavenly is a seriously massive resort, and I enjoyed exploring it. I made it all the way from the "Perimeter" trail at the eastern Nevada edge all the way to the "Round-a-Bout" trail running the western border. The Skyline trail has breathtaking views, and I think Heavenly might be the Tahoe resort that best takes advantage of its geography.

I continue to enjoy the Ripsticks; I think the best word to describe them is "pliable"? You can drive them if you want, but you don't need to, and they plow through skied-up muck like it's not even there.

My fitted boots are great! I can really feel the difference at the end of the day in terms of muscle pain; there's very little in comparison, and none in my shins as compared to the rental boots I was on last season. I do think I have a hot spot that needs to be checked out over my right inner ankle, but other than that, they're a dream.

Fatigue was an issue today; I found myself needing to pull over and rest for a minute periodically, even with extended wait times for lifts. It's possible it's related to the fact that I drove up this morning, leaving SF at 4AM. It's also possible that the Heavenly trails just tend to be much longer than what I'm used to; lapping feels strenuous here.

Skiing highlight: the last run of the day around the western edge of the resort and down World Cup to the California lodge. Exhausting. Worth it.

Non-skiing highlight: there was an adorable dad and daughter pair with coordinated outfits and equipment. He was wearing neon green clothes and boots with pink skis; she was wearing all-pink clothes and boots with neon green skis. It was pretty cute.

Lessons learned: taking a break and getting a Gatorade does a lot when you're feeling worn out, and can prevent dumb mistakes.

newboots

Angel Diva
This sounds . . . heavenly! I can't wait for the day I get to ski out West. I haven't the faintest idea (and too lazy to look it up) but couldn't altitude have caused some of your fatigue?

gingerjess

Angel Diva
This sounds . . . heavenly! I can't wait for the day I get to ski out West. I haven't the faintest idea (and too lazy to look it up) but couldn't altitude have caused some of your fatigue?

That could make sense! It was a pretty abrupt altitude shift (sea level to 10,000 feet in the space of 4.5 hours). And I didn't feel nearly as fatigued yesterday.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Day two report:

Most of the same things from Sunday held true. I did end up feeling a lot less fatigued by the end of the day, even though (according to the EpicMix app), I skied a lot more vertical. Possibly my technique was better, possibly my body had adjusted to the altitude, possibly it was just easier because I was more well-rested.

Crowds and lines were much less of an issue on the weekday, as expected. COVID-related behaviors also seemed different; there was much more consistent mask-wearing and more pairs going up without a third on the other end of the chair.

The event of the day for me was dropping a glove off the lift in the middle of the woods. Rather than try and handle terrain I wasn't ready for to get it back, I downloaded the gondola to the village at lunchtime to buy a new pair. On my way back up, the staff member directing traffic at the big map chuckled and reassured me that he would typically see at least one glove loss a day.

I also got the chance to ski with a fellow Diva! @ski_hat lives in the area and joined me for the afternoon, and we had a great time exploring all the way over to the far Nevada side and back to California. I think my favorite run is the long, extended trek over Skyline and down Perimeter; it's sparsely populated, and alternately wide and swooping and steep.

This trip has cemented my resolve to get a private lesson to learn moguls; there's a lot of terrain that's inaccessible to me at the moment because I can't handle them.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sounds like a great day, and especially always fun to meet up with a new diva!

If I could go back and start to learn moguls sooner, instead of avoiding them for as long as I did, I totally would. Though know that anything iffy in your regular skiing will be amplified in bumps. It really opens up a whole new world on a mountain when you know you don’t have to obsess about whether something is bumped or groomed because you can handle it either way. I avoided them like the plague for SO long!! I’m still working on them constantly, and I’m not good at them, but I can safely get down which is the point. I hope someday it’ll look prettier though haha.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly