• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Heated Ski Boots

KJC200

Diva in Training
Has anyone in this group tried the new heated ski boots (not heated inserts)? If so, what are your thoughts? pros and cons?? TIA

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My older daughter has the Salomon ones. She doesn't want her friends know that she has heated boots, for some reason she finds the idea embarrassing. But do they help keep her toes from turning bright red and frozen immediately? Yes. On a really cold day they run out of power by the end of the day, but if she weren't so embarrassed she could easily plug them in at lunch time for a re-charge.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Has anyone in this group tried the new heated ski boots (not heated inserts)? If so, what are your thoughts? pros and cons?? TIA
Welcome! I hadn't heard of heated boots before. Looks like Alpina has the most options in terms of offering heated boots for different ability levels. Can't say I've ever heard of Alpina before either.

It certainly sounds more convenient to have the heater and battery pack built-in. But only if the boot happens to be a good fit. Otherwise fit trumps the heat option.

What region do you ski the most?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I remember being embarrassed of my cold feet in middle school on a tubing trip. I have no idea why, but assumed I must be the only one. Nowadays I’ll do anything to keep my feet warm skiing, and shout it from the rooftops! Haha

KJC200

Diva in Training
Welcome! I hadn't heard of heated boots before. Looks like Alpina has the most options in terms of offering heated boots for different ability levels. Can't say I've ever heard of Alpina before either.

It certainly sounds more convenient to have the heater and battery pack built-in. But only if the boot happens to be a good fit. Otherwise fit trumps the heat option.

What region do you ski the most?
I am in the PNW so mostly White Pass WA or 49 Degrees...

KJC200

Diva in Training
I remember being embarrassed of my cold feet in middle school on a tubing trip. I have no idea why, but assumed I must be the only one. Nowadays I’ll do anything to keep my feet warm skiing, and shout it from the rooftops! Haha
There is nothing worse than having a good day on the mountain but having to go inside due to cold feet.

MissySki

Angel Diva
There is nothing worse than having a good day on the mountain but having to go inside due to cold feet.

Absolutely! Just curious, is there a reason you’d prefer the heated boot over something like Hotronics that you add later? I’ve had them for a good number of years and love them! The bonus also is that you can add a heating element to other shoes etc. and use with the same batteries if you do other cold weather activities. Each element is really cheap, the majority of the cost is in the batteries. Of course if the heated boots are a good option for your feet that’s cool too! Only issue is down the road you’ll have the same problem with the next boots you get if they aren’t heated, whereas something like the Hotronics can move to a new pair with you.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am in the PNW so mostly White Pass WA or 49 Degrees...
I don't know the mountains in the PacNW very well. Are the runs long or short? I've found that I don't get as cold in comparable temperatures at destination resorts in the Rockies with high speed lifts and longer runs than at small hills in the east with slow lifts and short runs (under 5 min) before the next lift ride. For me, the solution to getting cold turned out to be keeping my core warm. I almost always wear a vest, unless it's spring skiing conditions. Since I live in the southeast, that can happen in Jan.

Here's a thread from last year about add-on boot heaters.
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/boot-heaters.23305/

Jilly

Staff member
There are many options to keep your feet warm. Many of us have some sort of "boot heater", be they Hotronics, Thermic or Sidas. These are after market products that go into/on your footbed.

Atomic and Salomon did have pre-wired liners to some boots in the line. But you still needed the "heater". There wasn't enough demand and this is not an option now.

Also there are heated socks...Lenz comes to mind as a brand.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Atomic and Salomon did have pre-wired liners to some boots in the line. But you still needed the "heater". There wasn't enough demand and this is not an option now.
My daughter's boots are all-in-one, Salomon x-pro custom. You just plug the cable into the back to charge them, and there's the on/off and heat settings on the top of the cuff. There's something similar by K2, Rossignol, and Elan. I

The pro of this system is no extra cables, no external batteries to lose. The con is that if any part is faulty, you are left with a normal liner and can't just replace one part like with hotronics.

Jilly

Staff member
I just called the store, and yes Salomon does have the Custom Heat. It's just not showing up on the website. (Advantage of living in the same town as the warehouse for both Salomon and Atomic!!)

Jilly

Staff member
Salomon is only making 3 boots with it now. 2 boots you need an app on your phone for it. CH is custom heat and CHC is custom heat connect (the one you need the app for). I'll check Atomic next.

Jilly

Staff member
Rossi has the Pure Heat. It appears to be an intermediate level flex and very wide last.

That would be the problem with most of this type of boot. Getting the fit you need. The Solly were 3 different models with different flex in each. X-pro was only the 90 flex for example.

Also boots only last so long. I've used my Thermic heaters in 2 pairs so far. Maybe a 3rd in a year or 2. You're not going to move the liner with a new boot. And the Rossi boot was listed at $550. That's $$$ and the Solly was more!!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's $$$
Very true! If DD hadn't needed new boots anyways, and the Solly hadn't been marked down to around $200, I would have gone with non-heated boots and hotronics for her. But the shop said both fit and flex were good, the price was good, and for the poor embarrassed teen (well, now an embarrassed 20 year old) it isn't obvious that they are heated.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The pro of this system is no extra cables, no external batteries to lose. The con is that if any part is faulty, you are left with a normal liner and can't just replace one part like with hotronics.

Another pro of aftermarket heaters is that you can carry an extra set of batteries if it's a really frigid day and just swap them out anywhere.

Do heated boots heat the entire foot or is it just a heater on the footbed?

Jilly

Staff member
Salomon site says the liner. They have some at the local shop. I'll see if I can more intel on them.

Jilly

Staff member
As much as I like the idea, in the of case of Salomon it's only in 3 boots.

QST Access 80, S/Pro 90 and S/Max 110. They may or may not fit your foot. But maybe the liner can be switch out of the boot and into a stiffer one. ie the S/Max 110 also has a 120 stiffer flex in the line. Maybe the 110 liner can be used in the 120. That would be a question to ask a fitter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly