• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Heated boots vs socks

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi do they make heated socks or boot warmers for school aged kids? I can't find much online.
What age? Kids grow out of their boots so fast that there probably isn't much of a market.

Keeping the core warm is key for everyone, but especially for kids. My daughter didn't like vests but I made her wear one for skiing anyway.

I didn't even bother to buy boots until I found that my local ski shop would take boots in good condition back for store credit. We weren't skiing that many days so a season rental made more sense.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What age? Kids grow out of their boots so fast that there probably isn't much of a market.

Keeping the core warm is key for everyone, but especially for kids. My daughter didn't like vests but I made her wear one for skiing anyway.

I didn't even bother to buy boots until I found that my local ski shop would take boots in good condition back for store credit. We weren't skiing that many days so a season rental made more sense.
11 and 8 - we buy gear as they are quite advanced as there is a trade-in program where you get 50% back towards new gear. It has worked well for us and the gear is much better. The seasonal rentals were not good quality enough for their skiing ability (ie boot buckles that kept breaking or not staying fastened!). They are in a program all season.

The kids have to get up at 5:30am to drive up to mountain and will load up at 7:15am - keeping them as comfortable as possible is must! They love hand warmers but we don't put things in their boots - wondering if there is a way to make their toes cosy too - other than Merino socks. My kids have texture issues too to add.
Guessing you are right...not much of a market.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
11 and 8 - we buy gear as they are quite advanced as there is a trade-in program where you get 50% back towards new gear. It has worked well for us and the gear is much better. The seasonal rentals were not good quality enough for their skiing ability (ie boot buckles that kept breaking or not staying fastened!). They are in a program all season.

The kids have to get up at 5:30am to drive up to mountain and will load up at 7:15am - keeping them as comfortable as possible is must! They love hand warmers but we don't put things in their boots - wondering if there is a way to make their toes cosy too - other than Merino socks. My kids have texture issues too to add.
Guessing you are right...not much of a market.
So kids boots usually have enough room in the toes to use the toe warmers that stick on. Same as the chemical hand warmers but thinner and with adhesive. I actually will stick them to my core (outside of my base layer) if I'm going to be sitting or standing outside in the cold or on really cold ski days. They work great.

The thing about boot heaters like Hottronics is the foot pad has to be embedded into the footbed, meaning it has to be cut to accommodate the heating disc and also a hole has to be cut in the boot liner sole to run the wire.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Once we started buying rather than leasing we added Hottronics to our daughters boots and added over the counter footbeds. The hole in the liner is pretty small. The Hottronics were then moved to larger boots as needed. (New heating discs if needed are relatively inexpensive)

Jilly

Staff member
@FayGoneAstray - you should be able to buy case quantity of "hot shots" at Costco.

Talk to Barry EVO in Whistler about boot heaters for your kids. Tell him Jill sent you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly