• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Heat wave in the west...

Christy

Angel Diva
Ha, it came about a half hour ago. We are back down to normal temps.

But we had an amazing thing happen. I shot an email to our furnace company just saying we were interested in a/c options, fully expecting them to say, see you in December. They said, you are longtime customers, we save 2 days a month for them, here are your options and we can install Friday the 16th. !!!! So next week we are getting a top of the line energy efficient heat pump which is for heating and cooling. This means we are getting off natural gas for heat (yay), moving to all electric (it's hydro here), and should be cutting our energy use in half because heat pumps are so efficient. We will be set for smoke season which is good as there is already smoke in the forecast from BC fires. I can't believe our good luck. Never thought I'd get a cooling system and the Mr. balked at the price without being able to get other quotes (other companies won't even come out to do a quote until fall) but in the end, we're getting it.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It’s been aweful here in BC with the heat. We had driven up to okanagan for some winery visits and golfing but the weather was 44.5 C (112F). Cancelled golf. Restaurants and many businesses shut down. Luckily we found places to eat. We decided to leave early but the extreme heat and mountain roads caused some coils to break in our engine so we sat on the side of the highway for 7 hours waiting for a tow truck (yes, I cried). We were in the middle of nowhere, in the mountain dessert area about an hour either way from small towns, with spotty cel and internet, so calling for help took a long time as the lines kept cutting out. Due to Covid many of the tow companies would not take passengers and clearly that wasn’t an option. I wanted to hug the tow truck driver who did eventually save us. Cars were littered all over the sides of the roads due to the heat. Got home about 10 hours after the car broke, 12 hours after leaving our B&B that morning just so exhausted and at least our cats were still alive. We have two window /portable ac units and all blinds closed but house was an oven. Now reading the news, a whole small town burned down last night, looks like we left that region at the right time.

Glad you're ok. I would have been in tears too.
:hug:

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Christy -- Getting priority service and an item they have on hand vs. tied up in the supply chain issues, this is some really good fortune. Congrats!

Jilly

Staff member
I have a heat pump....love it. Lots has changed since they came out in the 80's too by the way. The condo I bought had an old unit. I upgraded and it's been a blessing. The original owners left me the instructions for the unit. I read them, and thought....ah....NO. I can't ask someone to do this while I'm away. Talked to the local contractor we've used for years. Installed a new unit, inside and out. The only problem is that is he missed out on getting a HUGE discount that the government was offering. Like 2 days. I was not impressed, but the unit meets my needs....

Jenny

Angel Diva
Ha, it came about a half hour ago. We are back down to normal temps.

But we had an amazing thing happen. I shot an email to our furnace company just saying we were interested in a/c options, fully expecting them to say, see you in December. They said, you are longtime customers, we save 2 days a month for them, here are your options and we can install Friday the 16th. !!!! So next week we are getting a top of the line energy efficient heat pump which is for heating and cooling. This means we are getting off natural gas for heat (yay), moving to all electric (it's hydro here), and should be cutting our energy use in half because heat pumps are so efficient. We will be set for smoke season which is good as there is already smoke in the forecast from BC fires. I can't believe our good luck. Never thought I'd get a cooling system and the Mr. balked at the price without being able to get other quotes (other companies won't even come out to do a quote until fall) but in the end, we're getting it.
Like winning the lottery!

Christy

Angel Diva
We are heading out of town tomorrow for the long holiday weekend, to get our dog out of town and away from the fireworks as always. The place where we go is still hotter than normal – – in the 90s– – and there is no AC. Plus there is smoke coming down from BC already. The idea of being hot again, and of smoky air...ugh. Don't want to go.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Christy - I would feel the same way. I have an intense dislike for air pollution; it makes me feel sick. And nobody is going to be happy in that weather! Hoping for the best!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna