• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Heat wave in the west...

geargrrl

Angel Diva
How is everyone doing? Here, projected triples at least through next Friday. I'm getting out early for walks, then hunkering down in my basement sewing room. We had AC put in with our first remodel so I feel pretty fortunate.

Christy

Angel Diva
How is everyone doing? Here, projected triples at least through next Friday. I'm getting out early for walks, then hunkering down in my basement sewing room. We had AC put in with our first remodel so I feel pretty fortunate.
I have been complaining about it nonstop in Dawning Chorus. :-) No A/C here, I never thought I'd get it, but apparently it's time. Today of course is just the beginning but we've managed to keep it 80 inside and it doesn't feel bad at all. The house is looking pretty trashy as I taped up my giant Mariners blanket over our east windows. The next two days of course are going to be significantly worse. Fed Ex is supposed to deliver a portable AC unit to us tomorrow. Fingers crossed that actually happens. Thought about eating out but none of our neighborhood restaurants have A/C so we'll grill in the shade. I think we are going to go ride a ferry back-and-forth later.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I feel bad for all of you out west. It sounds dreadful. It just caught up with us here in Vermont in the last day or so, and I can hardly stand it. Today it's 90 degrees and we have NO AC. We usually only need it for a few days each year, so we never bothered putting it in. I was so desperate today I went grocery shopping, just so I could get out of the heat.

Christy

Angel Diva
Wendy, what's the humidity? I have to think it's more than us. I think we are like 37% today. Though maybe humidity doesn't matter so much for indoor air temp. It was still 85 in the house at 10:30 PM last night, and 83 when we woke up this morning.

I personally recommend both sitting with your feet in a bucket of ice water, and wearing a T-shirt doused with cold water. Repeat as necessary.

But relief is on the way. Relief is on the way! Coming from the southwest. Look at the clouds and that little bit of green already hitting the coast.

20210628_125542.jpg
Screenshot_20210628-125520_Facebook.jpg

Jilly

Staff member
At lunch today it was 31C, but the humidex is 38C. A/C takes out the moisture which helps. We still can't use the gym inside. So work out tonight is on the green space in front of the studio. Hope there is breeze. But we are used to these temperatures in Ontario is the summer.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Good question: the humidity here is 56%. And no, it's not 90, as I said above. It's 88, though it feels like 94.

I played pickle ball this morning at 8AM and when I stopped at 10 I thought I was going to die. Sitting here right now with an oscillating fan going, drinking a tall glass of ice cold lemonade. So that helps.

Christy

Angel Diva
Currently 103/feels like 108. Here is where I am working today--at the bottom of our stairwell. That way I get natural light from the windows in the stairwell while also getting the cool basement temps (and that musty basement smell).

1624921214298.png

Outside was fine this morning, as long as I kept my feet in a bucket of cold water with ice.

1624921251164.png

newboots

Angel Diva
In the Hudson Valley, we are sweltering too, though nothing like out West. We’ve been in the 90s with high humidity for several days now.

Today’s high is predicted to be 97, with 79% humidity. I have to bring water for a 10 minute trip in the car and lots of water for a half hour outside. I don’t leave the house without a bottle of water.

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
And relief as predicted! Was a gorgeous 64F this am and house back down to comfortable temp after maxing out at 89F

We were in EWa camping on a heat tolerance test and when we got back Sun eve hubs just plugged the teardrop trailer in and slept in there w/AC in the driveway lol

Both of us were pretty psyched to go back to work Monday in lovely AC.

Hospitals are maxed out tho and all our elective surgeries w/overnight stay cancelled thru the rest of week. We’ve learned to pivot quick w/covid. And the need for more RNs is critical. Pandemic, apocalyptic heat, just…..

Christy

Angel Diva
It sounds like there will be a significant death toll between WA/OR/BC, though they are still tallying.

In all, the heat wave — which experts say was spurred by climate change — could be responsible for hundreds of deaths in the Pacific Northwest.

In Oregon, officials said more than 60 deaths in the state have been tied to the heat. British Columbia’s chief coroner, Lisa Lapointe, said her office received reports of at least 486 “sudden and unexpected deaths” between Friday and Wednesday. Normally, she said about 165 people die in the Canadian province over a five-day period.

Beginning last Friday, people made at least 1,648 visits to Washington hospitals’ emergency rooms for suspected heat-related illness, according to the Washington State Department of Health as of Wednesday evening. Of those, 22% were admitted. During that time period, the state also saw 35 drownings, the health department reported.

kiki

Angel Diva
It’s been aweful here in BC with the heat. We had driven up to okanagan for some winery visits and golfing but the weather was 44.5 C (112F). Cancelled golf. Restaurants and many businesses shut down. Luckily we found places to eat. We decided to leave early but the extreme heat and mountain roads caused some coils to break in our engine so we sat on the side of the highway for 7 hours waiting for a tow truck (yes, I cried). We were in the middle of nowhere, in the mountain dessert area about an hour either way from small towns, with spotty cel and internet, so calling for help took a long time as the lines kept cutting out. Due to Covid many of the tow companies would not take passengers and clearly that wasn’t an option. I wanted to hug the tow truck driver who did eventually save us. Cars were littered all over the sides of the roads due to the heat. Got home about 10 hours after the car broke, 12 hours after leaving our B&B that morning just so exhausted and at least our cats were still alive. We have two window /portable ac units and all blinds closed but house was an oven. Now reading the news, a whole small town burned down last night, looks like we left that region at the right time.

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh, @Christy I only heard about some of these before I read your post. Horrifying! I imagine that most of these deaths were older folks who don't have the means for air conditioning. So sad and unfair!

newboots

Angel Diva
Ugh, @kiki - this is terrible! This heat wave is so frightening!

I once broke down on a long trip in a heat wave. I insisted we keep going to the next underpass, and thank God we did. But that was only in the 90s.

kiki

Angel Diva
It sounds like there will be a significant death toll between WA/OR/BC, though they are still tallying.

In all, the heat wave — which experts say was spurred by climate change — could be responsible for hundreds of deaths in the Pacific Northwest.

In Oregon, officials said more than 60 deaths in the state have been tied to the heat. British Columbia’s chief coroner, Lisa Lapointe, said her office received reports of at least 486 “sudden and unexpected deaths” between Friday and Wednesday. Normally, she said about 165 people die in the Canadian province over a five-day period.

Beginning last Friday, people made at least 1,648 visits to Washington hospitals’ emergency rooms for suspected heat-related illness, according to the Washington State Department of Health as of Wednesday evening. Of those, 22% were admitted. During that time period, the state also saw 35 drownings, the health department reported.
Yes I think in BC we had 500 deaths over 3 days due to heat. Most homes and condos here don’t have A/C and many folks including the elderly live alone. Wait times for the ambulance/paramedics was between 5-12 hours so people were not able to get help in time.

kiki

Angel Diva
Ugh, @kiki - this is terrible! This heat wave is so frightening!

I once broke down on a long trip in a heat wave. I insisted we keep going to the next underpass, and thank God we did. But that was only in the 90s.
Yes we broke on a very bad narrown uphill curve on the side of a mountain. Put warning lights on and prayed not to be rear ended and wind up dead. Called dealership. They said to turn off and then on to reset the computer. Did that and then managed to get it to jerk up the hill to a wider spot where people can pull over for passing and brake checks etc.

Christy

Angel Diva
I feel traumatized from the heat wave and nothing like that even happened to me. I feel like I did after the Capitol insurrection. Did that really happen? If that can happen, what else can happen? Are we going to start having typhoons and tornadoes and who knows what else?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna