• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

head banger

newboots

Angel Diva
I tried to keep up with the other skiers I was with . . . should have said, "No thanks, I'll take a few laps on this lovely green trail instead." I fell a couple of times on Monday at Killington. Didn't break any glasses or bones, but I did whack my head, again, and exacerbated that whiplash feeling around my neck and shoulders.

I wake up really stiff. And my head hurt only a little. But here it is Wednesday afternoon, and my head is bothering me after Aleve and later, some Tylenol. I'm debating taking an Imitrex (migraine med), because sometimes these big storms (low pressure systems) prompt a migraine. In any case, I'm laying in bed and can only read for short periods of time before it just seems too hard. I guess I'll bite the bullet and take the Imitrex (annoying side effects notwithstanding).

Concussion? After I banged my head, I was only dizzy for a moment. Pupils equal and reactive. No more clumsiness than usual. They say irritability can also be a symptom, and I was pretty damned irritated, but that's because I was annoyed about being taken/agreeing to go down those trails. No trails I couldn't handle, but just trail after trail that strained my skills. I don't think I have a concussion.

Signed,
Grumpy in Vermont

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
You might want to get checked out if you continue to have headaches..
Also don't be so hard on yourself! You know your limits and sometimes it's okay to stretch your limits, but it's really okay to say you'd rather not go down a certain trail today.. You know, conditions change a trail rating very quickly. Probably on another day you would have been just fine.

newboots

Angel Diva
Thanks for the encouraging words! I can ski those trails. It was just too many of them in one day, I think. No relaxing runs, just . . . work!

I'm hoping I can get more assertive about this. I don't need to be doing any more head-banging!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Concussion? After I banged my head, I was only dizzy for a moment. Pupils equal and reactive. No more clumsiness than usual. They say irritability can also be a symptom,
How long has it been since the fall that broke your glasses?

mustski

Angel Diva
^^^ Feel better, but don't assume migraine after those kind of falls on top of a previous fall. It doesn't need to be a concussion; whiplash can cause headaches also.

newboots

Angel Diva
How long has it been since the fall that broke your glasses?

That was last week, Tuesday.

Maybe get yourself checked out tomorrow, if you've still got the headache...?

I hate to even say this. I have new insurance, with a new (big) deductible. And in two months I'll have newer insurance (starting new job), and will undoubtedly have to start over with a new deductible. Any medical care I have will be all cash. :-(

I went to a clinic with toenail fungus last month. The doctor told me to get a pedicure! (In fairness, he also said that taking medication to get rid of it has side effects that make it not worth it.) I got a bill for $371.00. I was there all of 15 minutes, maybe 20 with some waiting.

But yes, I am a little worried. I wish I had a doctor here. Makes me want to drive back to Massachusetts to see my PCP!

newboots

Angel Diva
Just to clarify, @newboots ... I was not questioning your being grumpy (or your right to be -- I would be too). I was referring to your falling again, 2 ugly falls in one week. Are you feeling better today?

Hah! I read it both ways! But it was funny and sweet either way. Thanks for your good wishes!

I'm staying in bed today. My head hurts a little, like it has all week, and I'm tired and grumpy (still!). If it was a migraine, it didn't respond to Imitrex, but then, you have to take the Imitrex at the very start of the headache. My migraines last 4 days, so today would be day 3, if that's it. Tired/grumpy/headache would fit with my migraine picture - they don't bring severe pain, just relentless pain, going on for days.

If it's the head banging, I feel kind of lost. I don't want to go somewhere (like an ER) and get a bunch of expensive tests ordered, that I will have to pay for. And start with a new deductible in two months - ugh! That could cost thousands! On the other hand, I don't want to ignore something serious. I don't have a doctor here. Maybe I'll call my old PCP just to consult.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried to keep up with the other skiers I was with . . . should have said, "No thanks
I read your post just as I got home from skiing Sunapee yesterday with DD, and it made me realize that next time I really should take it easier when my body starts complaining. Luckily no mishaps for me, but on the last several runs I kept thinking "maybe this should be my last, don't want to get hurt". But by the time I caught up with DD at the lift, I could tell she wasn't ready to call it quits, and I knew if I did she would follow me in. And it was our last chance to ski together before she heads back to Smith next week.

I hope you feel better soon. Do you have an Urgent Care center near you? With our insurance we can go to urgent care for the same co-pay as our PCP. And if they recommend any tests, you can call around to price shop, and then call your insurance to see what coverage would be, where as in emergency they just tend to run tests first and bill you.

newboots

Angel Diva
I have to pay the first $4,000 (deductible), regardless of where I go. Thus, --> grumpy!

As it does when I have a migraine, the pain gets worse as the day goes on. I realized I never made any coffee this morning, and caffeine helps a LOT, so I made a cup of coffee and now it's back to bed. Unless there is significant bleeding or other severe injury, the treatment is rest and limited activity, and Tylenol, so that's what I'm doing. Crossing my fingers.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have a robust "concussion protocol" at school and take any head injury very seriously given recent research.

All athletes take a baseline, computerized reflex test prior to each sports season, and it's used after injury for assessment of progress. Any head injury is a mandatory doctor visit. A diagnosis of concussion generally results in a student either staying home from school for an extended period and/or doing limited days until cleared by the doctor.

The upshot seems to be that it can take quite some time for a concussion to resolve, and until then, the student is typically prohibited from reading, watching television, or doing any computer-based work. That seems to be the important thing: no visual stimulation or mental challenge while healing.

Interestingly, the student can usually do light activity in the fitness room, such as walking on a treadmill or using a stationary bike.

I don't know if this helps much except to say don't take it lightly and maybe try to avoid certain activities for a while.

Good luck; I hope you feel better soon! We may have to take a Diva Vote to change your user name to "CrashBoots" :wink:

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh, good. When I read this thread, it was starting to sound a bit....scary. Head injuries are....scary. Lie low for a bit yet.

No skiing planned until Tuesday. And then, easy trails.

I struggled. I certainly don't want to take unnecessary chances, but I didn't really want to spend very large amounts of money finding out I was okay. I promise to continue to self-monitor for memory problems, dizziness, headache, clumsiness, poor concentration, and anything else that seems neuro in origin. I'm taking it easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna