• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Have You Seen This? Utah skier OK after 1,000-foot fall down Alaskan mountain

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
whoa. that's crazy. i can't believe she walked away unscathed.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Saw it on national news last night.... crazy... glad she survived relatively unscathed.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I staarted to watch her POV video of that and had to stop. It's pretty amazing what people can survive. I'm sure several of the EC skiers here have been to Tuckerman Ravine and seen some pretty bad falls. I was there just as an observer on a day when everything turned to ice around 2 pm, and a bunch of folks were stuck on the lip. One by one people would try to ski down and biff. Some looked exactly like she did--serious ragdolls--although the fall was several hundred feet, not 1000. That was the year I learned that a fall can look terrifying, but be survivable as long as you don't hit anything on the way down.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry, I was not saying that is wasn't insane, scary, and incredibly dangerous. Not trying to diminish it at all. Only that it's amazing what the human body can withstand.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No need to apologize. I totally agree with you on everything.

Just my observation that she's quite lucky in not hitting any hard object on her way down.

Or maybe that was why they ski that particular gully. The shot from above doesn't capture the contour of the gully. Maybe the rock band were such she got bounce AWAY from it rather than onto it.

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry, I was not saying that is wasn't insane, scary, and incredibly dangerous. Not trying to diminish it at all. Only that it's amazing what the human body can withstand.

I think that's definitely true.
I haven't been skiing long enough to ski firsthand anything really remarkable, but relating the same train of thought to hirses...I've seen (and experienced) some major crashes, horses flip, roll, riders get tossed in such a way that certainly there would be some serious injury, yet everyone was fine. And I've seen falls so minor, they were almost non falls (rider chatting at a walk, horse trips, rider slides off) that resulted in some pretty serious injuries, broken pelvis, ribs, etc.
I think sometimes, it's just luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly