• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Have you ever fallen on your own binding?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried it out a few weeks ago, so you don't have to. :smile:

_bruiselol.jpg

I literally lay in bed at night for days after I did this, trying to envision how I managed to lose both skis and then land on one while tumbling downhill! It must have somehow shot underneath me.

I thought I got away with this one completely aside from the bruise, but ended up having some persistent shoulder and elbow pain a couple of weeks afterwards, luckily my physio is sorting me out nicely. Seems the impact pulled something in my shoulder which resulted in a bunch of referred pain down into my elbow. Certainly the weirdest ski injury I've ever personally seen :smile:

Amazingly, as the bruise changed colours, it started to look even more like my binding, including an oval gap in the bruise matching a hole in the binding (where the DIN settings are) ;)

bruiselololol.jpg

^ the culprit!

Attachments

• bindingshape.PNG
    bindingshape.PNG
    966 KB · Views: 3

Tvan

Angel Diva
Yikes! That is one spectacular bruise!

Jilly

Staff member
In the first picture I was thinking....that looks like the heel piece. The second picture shows you're coming along good. All in all that bruise is a good one.

altagirl

Staff member
I have done that too! Except my binding shaped bruise was on my thigh.... like 20 years ago.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Very nice! I landed on mine once, had a nice thigh bruise for a while. You could tell I hit the side of it because you could easily make out where the brake piece was.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

View attachment 13934

I literally lay in bed at night for days after I did this, trying to envision how I managed to lose both skis and then land on one while tumbling downhill! It must have somehow shot underneath me.

I thought I got away with this one completely aside from the bruise, but ended up having some persistent shoulder and elbow pain a couple of weeks afterwards, luckily my physio is sorting me out nicely. Seems the impact pulled something in my shoulder which resulted in a bunch of referred pain down into my elbow. Certainly the weirdest ski injury I've ever personally seen :smile:

Amazingly, as the bruise changed colours, it started to look even more like my binding, including an oval gap in the bruise matching a hole in the binding (where the DIN settings are) ;)

View attachment 13936

^ the culprit!

I would offer to match you and raise you with a much worse bruise from my wrist to my shoulder from sailing! But this is a ski forum so I will save you from that ugliness! That said your ski really took a bite out of you! Big huge ouch! And do feel better soon!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

View attachment 13934

View attachment 13936

^ the culprit!
@fgor, I understand you lost both skis and fell directly on one of them. Did you still have the bindings set at 4 when this fall happened? If yes, has this accident made you think about getting your bindings set where the chart says they should be?

I don't think you've described the fall yet in this thread. Bindings are usually set so that the skis will stay on in most falls.

newboots

Angel Diva
That is something I would totally do. Half the time, I have no idea where my bruises come from. So sorry for your pain and hope you recover quickly. :/

Like you and @BlueSkies I have this experience. I bruise easily, and some of them are pretty startling when I have no idea what happened.

I fell on my binding once. Since it was in a big messy fall, I didn't know where my bruise came from. Mr. Blizzard identified it at once - apparently he has seen those binding-shaped bruises on more than one occasion.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
Ouch! That whole situation sounds so painful! I had a similar nasty bicep are bruise and shoulder pain after a superman style mtb crash in september. I ended up being diagnosed with a fractured greater tuberosity of the humerus after an MRI. The Xrays were normal. I guess this is a commonly missed/misdiagnosed mountain bike and ski crash injury. I hope your injuries heal fast!

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
The fact that you can get your elbow up that high over your head in the photo looks promising for your recovery LOL! Great range of motion! I hope it doesn’t hurt too bad!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@fgor, I understand you lost both skis and fell directly on one of them. Did you still have the bindings set at 4 when this fall happened? If yes, has this accident made you think about getting your bindings set where the chart says they should be?

I don't think you've described the fall yet in this thread. Bindings are usually set so that the skis will stay on in most falls.

Bindings set to 4.5 as they were all season :P Honestly it wasn't a fall that made me consider moving up the DIN settings - what had happened was I'd gone down part of a run that hadn't been groomed for a couple of days (because there had been a little fresh snow the day before), and the snow there was heavy and choppy, and I was on my narrow skis as I spent 98% of the day on groomed snow. As I went into one of the turns I seemed to get one ski stuck/caught an edge/got off balance, twisted out of that ski as I fell, and must have somehow caught the tip of the other ski on.... something, because I really felt my heel being dragged up and out of that binding with a lot more resistance.

I seem to have a knack for falling badly if bindings are meant to stay on in most falls... normally when I fall, I lose a ski, and often I'm praying while I'm falling that the ski pops off before my knee does! (edit: that is to say, often i fall and then lose the ski while falling. the only falls im not sure about are the ones where i twist out of the ski because i caught an edge weirdly)

At any rate I'm confident I lost the second ski for a good reason because I felt a lot of resistance before my heel pulled out of it, I'm just not sure what happened with the first ski. Chop is not my forte especially on skinny skis with zero rocker so I probably just got the ski stuck on an edge oddly and was doomed at that point. Really have no idea though without a video!

Last edited:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ouch! That whole situation sounds so painful! I had a similar nasty bicep are bruise and shoulder pain after a superman style mtb crash in september. I ended up being diagnosed with a fractured greater tuberosity of the humerus after an MRI. The Xrays were normal. I guess this is a commonly missed/misdiagnosed mountain bike and ski crash injury. I hope your injuries heal fast!
The fact that you can get your elbow up that high over your head in the photo looks promising for your recovery LOL! Great range of motion! I hope it doesn’t hurt too bad!

Aaaah, that's such bad luck! Especially crazy that the xrays didn't pick anything up! Luckily I have normal range of motion, and my physio instructed me to keep using my shoulder as normal (but nothing strenuous) during rehab to make sure it stays sound. For a while it was hurting to do things like take off a sweatshirt or do up my seatbelt (reaching across the body), but it's significantly better already now :smile: Apparently they are a complex joint but my injury is very mild thank goodness!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly