• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Have any ski instructors here decided to stop instructing?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What was the change-over like? How is skiing different for you now that you have made the change?

I'm asking because last season I decided to stop instructing right before Christmas and started a new skier life as a "recreational" skier. It does indeed feel different. Actually, almost everything about skiing is different.

I'm wondering if others have encountered the same differences I've noticed between being a skier who skis for fun in social groups vs being a ski instructor who skis with clients and with other ski instructors. I think I'll hold off on telling how it's different for me until some other people have responded.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Not an instructor, but looking forward to reading about the differences you’ve felt and whether they are positive or negative. I know I feel large differences in seasons where I do seasonal programs as a student versus not (big pros and cons on each side).. but that’s a different topic. :smile:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I knew it was time when I was dreading the scheduling and thinking about the weekend commitments over spring/summer/fall. I love it when I am doing the actual teaching, but the prep and "there goes that weekend" feeling **all the time** meant time to move on. I will occasionally offer up my instructor hat when on group rides but only if the mood suits me.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@geargrrl,
--Did the frequency or length of your rides change?
--Have you started riding in new places since the change?
--Did you start riding more with groups, or ride alone more often?
--Are you missing the teaching itself?
--Has the overall intensity of your enjoyment as a mountain bike rider changed?

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I can share the reverse thinking. My Massanutten ski instructor was pushing the idea of my becoming a ski instructor after the first season I worked with him. I went as far as reaching out to the SSD to see what the minimum number of days would be required to get started. Mnut is a 4-hour drive so I would have had to find a place to stay for 1-2 months. Definitely not day trip distance.

Another factor is that my parents were professors. When I finished grad school, I knew that I was not interested in working in academia. I like teaching informally but have little patience for the realities of being a professional teacher.

Bottom line is that for me, I was having too much fun on ski trips to Massanutten with friends with kids, plus trips out west with ski/travel buddies to spend a season (Dec-Feb) becoming a ski instructor.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Might not be analogous as it's a hobby (albeit high-end), but it's sport-related so maybe. I do athletics officiating, and I do find it hard to take off the I'm-Here-To-Officiate hat, and put on the I'm-A-Parent-Watching-Sport one instead. I do really want to jump in and shout "Those aren't the rules!" at events - (especially when they have a really bad starter like yesterday, honestly he was one step up from "Ready Steady Go" - not just me being a bit of a dick; it disadvantages the kids who need a few seconds to settle).

I've posted before that my son is having a downer about his athletics at the moment, his coach suggested to me that maybe being heavily involved all the time with the running of the show might be partially causal, and I should just try being with him and just supporting him. So I'm giving it a try; stepping back from running a club - which I miss - to being simply a member. We will see how it goes.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I taught yoga part-time, 3 classes a week, for 5 years. The days and times that I taught started out very inconvenient (weekends, in the middle of the day) and eventually got more convenient (Monday evening, Sunday afternoon, evening). But, this was a part-time gig for me, and eventually I was traveling enough on the weekends that having to be back by a certain time to teach was becoming a burden rather than a joy. Teaching became a job (which it was). Also, the joke among people undertaking yoga teacher training is that teaching ruins your own practice because you don't have time for it. I was always picky about my yoga instructors, so being an instructor didn't really change anything; if anything, it gave me more tools about how I wanted my personal practice. That aspect hasn't changed since I have stopped teaching. I'm still picky about my instructors. What has changed is that I can no longer write off the trainings and workshops I attend.

Jilly

Staff member
I got into ski teaching back in the 80's when I joined a travelling ski club. Part of your membership was lessons every trip. The club paid back our CSIA dues, any courses and somewhere during the winter you a nights accommodation somewhere for free.

When I left the area, I decided to work at the local bump. I was the only female with a L2 and there were only 4 L2's to start with. Lots of L1's.

I suggested a women's only program, like I'd seen in Ottawa. One weekday night, ladies only and lady instructors. They thought I was nuts. It became the largest program next to Saturday morning. My DH wasn't happy about the weekend's teaching and 1 or 2 nights a week. And eventually I gave it up.

Fast forward DH passes away and I'm bored. I answer an ad for instructors at the same place. It's 20 min from home so why not. The CSIA had "parachuted in" an L4 for us. He was great. Then that contract ran out and a L3 took over. Managers need to know how to manage and this one didn't. I run my own business so I know you need to keep your employees happy. I had a student who thought that this sport should be easy and no effort was needed. I tried to talk to the director, but he was never in. The supervisor had an even worst idea. Eventually I was relieved of my student. I sorry but you can't learn, if you don't try. So that spring I also ended up with major knee issues that ended up requiring surgery. I haven't been back since then to that club. I hear there is a new director, but...

I also did a guest week at Tremblant. They are always looking for "seasoned" read mature, instructors to teach Presidents week. I really wanted to do it. The only issue there was no orientation. It was just into the fire. I did end up having a "meeting" with the supervisor. They didn't like something I did with a class. I asked if the clients complained. No, we just don't do things that way. OK, if the clients didn't complain, forget it. I'm all about the clients having the best time.

Tremblant has been after me since then. I just don't have time anymore. I'm keeping myself up to date with all the CSIA conferences, seminars and courses available. I might go back when I retire. But I really think I'd rather do the InfoGuide.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....Tremblant has been after me since then. I just don't have time anymore. I'm keeping myself up to date with all the CSIA conferences, seminars and courses available. I might go back when I retire. But I really think I'd rather do the InfoGuide.
Curious: what's the InfoGuide?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
@geargrrl,
--Did the frequency or length of your rides change?
--Have you started riding in new places since the change?
--Did you start riding more with groups, or ride alone more often?
--Are you missing the teaching itself?
--Has the overall intensity of your enjoyment as a mountain bike rider changed?
A lot of this is hard to quantify. Several new life factors are in the equation., including hiatus due to COVID (I refused to teach all), a new gravel bike, and full retirement from work.

I am riding about the same amount. Currently doing lots more gravel than mtn. My friends are all off doing things and not in the mood for our ginormous ladies rides.

Same amount of new/old places.

Riding with social groups less

I miss the joy of showing someone what to do to be better a rider and the lightbulb moments when they get it. I will still privately coach friends on an informal basis. All the trainers at my gym ask me to take them out when they get bikes lol.

last one, see the gravel bike. It's fun to have a new way to get out on wheels. I've been a hard core mainly mountain biker for almost 25 years.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mountain Guide. My french isn't good enough I think. But they actually are looking for more english speaking.
You're talking about becoming a guide then. Winter or Summer??
I interpreted "InfoGuide" to be a book title. :smile:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A lot of this is hard to quantify. Several new life factors are in the equation., including hiatus due to COVID (I refused to teach all), a new gravel bike, and full retirement from work.

I am riding about the same amount. Currently doing lots more gravel than mtn. My friends are all off doing things and not in the mood for our ginormous ladies rides.

Same amount of new/old places.

Riding with social groups less

I miss the joy of showing someone what to do to be better a rider and the lightbulb moments when they get it. I will still privately coach friends on an informal basis. All the trainers at my gym ask me to take them out when they get bikes lol.

last one, see the gravel bike. It's fun to have a new way to get out on wheels. I've been a hard core mainly mountain biker for almost 25 years.
It sounds like you are enjoying the changes.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I quit last year- I was feeling I was punished if I had to go to my 'real' job- (selling real estate) I always gave plenty of notice and would schedule real estate showings in the afternoon so I could teach the morning classes- When ever I had to take the full day off I'd be given EVERY lesson the next day. while newbies sat on the bench- they need the $$ and experience! I had also requested no under 5yr olds- and that's what i was given over and over, while my students that requested me were given to someone else. So I quit, so did several other mature seasoned instructors. The new owner was horrified when we all bought season passes, he did try to talk us into coming back but we all said No. I had wanted a Ladies class for over 10yrs and was refused. Last year they were going to do it- to lure me back- Never happened. Now they have mostly 14yr olds teaching. Most of the clients are young people but they lost all the seasoned high level instructors. there is no one to teach bumps, powder or level 7 or higher.

Fast forward to how I felt. I had a wonderful winter of skiing last year, 89 Days in, I loved not having my day interrupted with line up, I loved not 'having" to go to the mountain on rainy/icy days to sit inside and see if someone would want a lesson. I maintain my PSIA standing and do my upgrades but doubt I'll ever go back to teaching. I do always help anyone that needs skiing tips though. It was 30Yrs this year as a member and that doesn't count 12yrs back in the 70's that I was instructing. PSIA wouldn't give me back my level's unless I paid them 1500!$

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does not being employed by the mountain as an instructor open up the option to teach clients privately?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna