• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hats for sun protection

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think so.

Question for her and @MissySki
I golfed today with my straw hat and it got quite hot. There really isn't any kind of ventilation. I did take my vizor to wear after golf just because I knew I'd have hat hair and wanted to disguise it when we went shopping for groceries afterward.

I'm looking at the hat Missy bought and think it may provide better ventilation on super hot days out here.
Thoughts??
I haven’t yet worn mine in humid New England to review from that perspective.. but it was very comfy when I wore it in Arizona with dry low 90s temps in full sun hiking/sightseeing/hanging by the pool/etc.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think so.

Question for her and @MissySki
I golfed today with my straw hat and it got quite hot. There really isn't any kind of ventilation. I did take my vizor to wear after golf just because I knew I'd have hat hair and wanted to disguise it when we went shopping for groceries afterward.

I'm looking at the hat Missy bought and think it may provide better ventilation on super hot days out here.
Thoughts??
My Wallaroos are very lightweight and breathable. I tried similar strawhats before and find them heavier. I am in NM where 15% humidity is too humid for me but my hats were good when I golf in Hawaii with 80% humidity.
You could try wearing the hat looser and use hair clips to secure the hat to your hair in the back. Is there a liner in your hat too? You can also buy Wallaroo on Amazon to compare to your strawhats.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Wallaroos are very lightweight and breathable. I tried similar strawhats before and find them heavier. I am in NM where 15% humidity is too humid for me but my hats were good when I golf in Hawaii with 80% humidity.
You could try wearing the hat looser and use hair clips to secure the hat to your hair in the back. Is there a liner in your hat too? You can also buy Wallaroo on Amazon to compare to your strawhats.

I live in Reno, NV where the humidity is similar to your area.
We're supposed to get some light drizzle this evening and our humidity is 17%.
My hat is not lined and it is quite light but just doesn't seem to vent well.

I've seen Wallaroo on Amazon but will likely buy one the next time Wallaroo has a good sale like they did for Sun Protection Week.
From the pic in your next post, you're all in! Looks awesome!

Love my Wallaroo hats!!

View attachment 23382

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live in Reno, NV where the humidity is similar to your area.
We're supposed to get some light drizzle this evening and our humidity is 17%.
My hat is not lined and it is quite light but just doesn't seem to vent well.

I've seen Wallaroo on Amazon but will likely buy one the next time Wallaroo has a good sale like they did for Sun Protection Week.
From the pic in your next post, you're all in! Looks awesome!
I have a couple of hats in the car and wear one whenever the sun is out, not just on for golf. My car has a very large windshield so I also wear a hat while driving or I will burn!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm Swedish and don't often burn. I do, however get very brown. (more if I forget sunscreeen but I rarely forget sunscreen)
My tan lines from my various summer activities is kind of interesting.
think...golf glove, sock line from golf shoes, bike shoes and hiking shoes, shorts/skirt line.
I rarely, if ever, wear a bathing suit and usually its for hot tubbing at a ski house or other vacation spot, so its usually not in the sun.

I actually believe I should cover more of my skin when I'm out in the sun, but I'm a minimalist when it comes to clothing.
I do, however wear good sunscreen and am diligent about it.
I also buy new sunscreen every year because I know its affectiveness is not good as it ages.
Some people may not know this, however I had a friend who worked as a chemist for a sun screen company several years ago. She said that the components do have an expiration date and we should never count on the sunscreen affectiveness after a year.

I currently use this one and have a small one in my ski boot bag, golf bag and micropack that I use when I bike and hike.

I don't like having the lotion aspect on my hands just before golfing because I don't like the oils getting into my golf grips, so I'm thinking about getting the spray versoin of this same lotion to apply easier and even re-apply during a round of golf.
This may do the trick, but they have other options too.

FWIW, I used to work for a place that was partnered with supergoop and I still get the employee discount with them, and I really like their products.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm Swedish and don't often burn. I do, however get very brown. (more if I forget sunscreeen but I rarely forget sunscreen)
My tan lines from my various summer activities is kind of interesting.
think...golf glove, sock line from golf shoes, bike shoes and hiking shoes, shorts/skirt line.
I rarely, if ever, wear a bathing suit and usually its for hot tubbing at a ski house or other vacation spot, so its usually not in the sun.

I actually believe I should cover more of my skin when I'm out in the sun, but I'm a minimalist when it comes to clothing.
I do, however wear good sunscreen and am diligent about it.
I also buy new sunscreen every year because I know its affectiveness is not good as it ages.
Some people may not know this, however I had a friend who worked as a chemist for a sun screen company several years ago. She said that the components do have an expiration date and we should never count on the sunscreen affectiveness after a year.

I currently use this one and have a small one in my ski boot bag, golf bag and micropack that I use when I bike and hike.

I don't like having the lotion aspect on my hands just before golfing because I don't like the oils getting into my golf grips, so I'm thinking about getting the spray versoin of this same lotion to apply easier and even re-apply during a round of golf.
This may do the trick, but they have other options too.

FWIW, I used to work for a place that was partnered with supergoop and I still get the employee discount with them, and I really like their products.
Minimilist here as well and Im similar to you in that I dont often burn but go brown very easily, unlike you I'm not very diligent with sunscreen though :redface:
I went through our bathroom cupboards the other day and threw out a few sunscreens that were about 3yrs out of date must make note to self ...... "if your going to buy the stuff then USE it !! "

elemmac

Angel Diva
I went through our bathroom cupboards the other day and threw out a few sunscreens that were about 3yrs out of date must make note to self ...... "if your going to buy the stuff then USE it !! "
I was always a "buy the big bottle to get more bang for your buck" kind of person. I think this comes from growing up, my parents always had the "NO AD big bottle" on hand. Over the last 5-10 years, I realized they always expire before I get to the bottom, or it's not with me when I need it, so I end up buying a new one. I now buy smaller tubes "as needed". This way they're kind of scattered across the house, in the car, in my bag I take biking...etc. And I find myself using sunscreen more...because it's there.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Minimilist here as well and Im similar to you in that I dont often burn but go brown very easily, unlike you I'm not very diligent with sunscreen though :redface:

I was always a "buy the big bottle to get more bang for your buck" kind of person. I think this comes from growing up, my parents always had the "NO AD big bottle" on hand. Over the last 5-10 years, I realized they always expire before I get to the bottom, or it's not with me when I need it, so I end up buying a new one. I now buy smaller tubes "as needed". This way they're kind of scattered across the house, in the car, in my bag I take biking...etc. And I find myself using sunscreen more...because it's there.
This is why I usually get the 2.4 oz size. Fits in my ski boot bag, golf bag, micropack, etc... much easier which means its handy when I need it.

One of my issues (well not really issue but...) is that we have house guests who come in from time to time that will inevitably buy sunscreen (usually at a ski resort) while they visit and end up leaving it here so I end up with a lot of sunscreen in our guest bathroom that I end up throwing out because it expires.

I really wish house guests would just ask to use mine or check the guest bathroom before buying.
I also use a daily face moisturizer that has spf 30.

altagirl

Staff member
You all will laugh... in pilates this morning, in an air conditioned classroom... half the class was whining about the humidity the past day or 2. It's 25%. The rest of us we like have you all ever traveled anywhere?

Anyway I tend to go with many smaller bottles of sunscreen because I tend to forget or reapply so I need sunscreen in the car, in various bags, etc... And I do love Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen as it doesn't leave me feeling sticky.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I do love Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen as it doesn't leave me feeling sticky.
I had that the last time and really liked it. I tried this one and and like it too, but I'd go for unseen again in a heartbeat.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Question:
Looking for insights on spray sunscreen. I have never used spray.
I really don't like having any kind of lotion on my hands when I golf, mostly to protect my grips from getting slick. So, ...I was looking at Supergoop's website and thought about trying their spray sunscreen.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Question:
Looking for insights on spray sunscreen. I have never used spray.
I really don't like having any kind of lotion on my hands when I golf, mostly to protect my grips from getting slick. So, ...I was looking at Supergoop's website and thought about trying their spray sunscreen.
I'm not a huge Supergoop fan and have tried several of their products. I have found their sunscreens leave white residue and tried their lip protectors as well.
I use SunBum 50 spray sunscreen for the beach and really like it.
I've also used expensive spray sunscreens (la roche posay, clarins, lancome but now pretty much use Sunbum products. They're reef safe and not expensive (under $20).

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not a huge Supergoop fan and have tried several of their products. I have found their sunscreens leave white residue and tried their lip protectors as well.
I use SunBum 50 spray sunscreen for the beach and really like it.
I've also used expensive spray sunscreens (la roche posay, clarins, lancome but now pretty much use Sunbum products. They're reef safe and not expensive (under $20).
Thanks for the information.
I do happen to like Supergoop and maybe I'm using something different than you've experienced.
I am quite interested to hear if you have had good even coverage with sprays.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
You probably are using something different. I can't remember exactly what I had but initially bought at Northstar and then on Nordstrom website that I didn't care for.
Sprays are not as even as applying by hand but so much easier. They can be greasy though. For golf, easy to spray hard to get areas like behind your knees, back of your legs, etc. I like sprays for the beach as take a couple of tropical vacations each year and quite easy to spray. YMMV

I should try the Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen though..... whatever one I used left white streaks on my skin...

Last edited:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You probably are using something different. I can't remember exactly what I had but initially bought at Northstar and then on Nordstrom website that I didn't care for.
Sprays are not as even as applying by hand but so much easier. They can be greasy though. For golf, easy to spray hard to get areas like behind your knees, back of your legs, etc. I like sprays for the beach as take a couple of tropical vacations each year and quite easy to spray. YMMV

I should try the Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen though..... whatever one I used left white streaks on my skin...
You probably tried the mineral version. I like the unseen better.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I think i'll try the "unseen" Super Goop next time. Thanks!

elemmac

Angel Diva
I am quite interested to hear if you have had good even coverage with sprays.
This is my biggest issue with sprays. In order to get an even coat, I always feel like you need to spray a lot and end up wasting so much.

But I do like the ease of spraying on…So I normally either spray and rub it in to get an even coat or you can do one thorough coating of lotion at home before you leave and just use the spray for touch-ups on the course.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is my biggest issue with sprays. In order to get an even coat, I always feel like you need to spray a lot and end up wasting so much.

But I do like the ease of spraying on…So I normally either spray and rub it in to get an even coat or you can do one thorough coating of lotion at home before you leave and just use the spray for touch-ups on the course.
Yeah, that's part of my question on the topic. I'd like to avoid touching it but not sure it will do what I want. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CathyR