• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hated Black Pearls! Help please with alternatives

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So in a nutshell, I understand the BP feelings. I see how people love them as well, but now they've become my float/mush ski.

I really think skiing styles/personalities are a big factor in who likes what. I didn't like older, longer BPs, but I liked the newer BP in a 146? well enough (although it was a bit short and the next size up... 152 was a bit long). It wasn't love, but it was strong like. I get good technique is good technique, but I think we all have for lack of a better word, "ski personalities." For example, I've spent YEARS wishing I could ski like @MissySki or @lisamamot. They like a lot of the same gear and like very little of what I like. They're graceful; they look like they're dancing when they ski. I'm a former and current gymnast and a bit of brute at skiing and I look REALLY rigid; I've seen the video.

CarolPollock

Diva in Training
I'd love to be providing an update on what I tried and loved BUT weather and life has gotten in the way of good demoing. Tahoe has had wild storms and...when I got to our cabin and storms stopped..I got to supervise shovelling of our roof. Ugh. Expensive ugh. Haven't had time to demo, so took out the old Lotta Luvs a few more times.

I'm going to add a question to this string: Ever since my not so fabulous knee replacement, the outer quad (not the whole quad) on that leg has whined slightly and screamed a lot directly related to how long I've skied. I've adjusted my stance, tried different turn methods, exercised the heck out of my hamstrings (quads are good). I wonder if the old Lotta Luvs are just so heavy for me now or what... or maybe just another annoying AR (age related) issue. I felt far less fatigue on the drab Total Joys. Maybe because they're so light? Maybe rocker? Any opinions on what skis/characteristics can help reduce fatigue?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heavy skis like that will definitely contribute to fatigue.
Another ski to check out that is new is the Nordica Santa Ana 88. Boy are they fun and maneuverable, with a different feel than the Black Pearls that might appeal to those who don't care for them.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm a former and current gymnast and a bit of brute at skiing and I look REALLY rigid; I've seen the video.
Au contraire, friend. And I've got some videos also. You look like a strong, athletic skier. Because you are. :becky:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I wonder if the old Lotta Luvs are just so heavy for me now or what... or maybe just another annoying AR (age related) issue. I felt far less fatigue on the drab Total Joys. Maybe because they're so light? Maybe rocker? Any opinions on what skis/characteristics can help reduce fatigue?
^^ This. From what I recall of that vintage of K2 Lotta Luv, they were VERY heavy skis. (I also remember the Lotta as being one of the wider of the Luv series, with the 2008 vintage being around 78 - or...memory may elude me?) So, yes, you need to get on something lighter. I don't think the rocker/camber ratio affects it as much as the total overall weight.

Drab, schmab. Total Joy was one of my favorites at demo. Along with Volkl Yumi and Head Super Joy (75 wide - worth a try). I'm also wondering if you should try an even longer ski with your stats. In the Head series, that would be 168. (Remember, rocker lowers the actual contact cm of the ski.) I ski a 163-166, and I'm about 5'5/125.

And I tie you on "that age thing." Also have a bunch of nasty left hip issues, so I ski "lightly" now. (Knees okay - for now.) The next size up in Total Joy might be a better fit for you. It's an awesome ski which covers a lot of "ground" in terms of suitability. Reconsider??

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know this suggestion may be a tad offbeat from the usual : but have you considered the Dynastar Legend ( women's ) 84? This ski is one easy-peasy-on-the -kneesy ride. Light like the Joys .
I was impressed with this ski when I demoed last season. I did not care for the Joy skis at all, but that's just me. The Legend is not super popular, but it was so maneuverable that I hardly felt it on my feet.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@CarolPollock , I forgot to mention that the RENOUN Z-77 is another terrific option for those that have knee issues. Pricey, but could also save you a trip to the MRI . I am a petite woman skiing this ski on groomers only. My reason for that limited terrain is due to the fact the ski is really a bit long for me @ 5'2, 95 pounds. For YOU, this would be a great option in a variety of terrain choices.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
@CarolPollock , I forgot to mention that the RENOUN Z-77 is another terrific option for those that have knee issues. Pricey, but could also save you a trip to the MRI . I am a petite woman skiing this ski on groomers only. My reason for that limited terrain is due to the fact the ski is really a bit long for me @ 5'2, 95 pounds. For YOU, this would be a great option in a variety of terrain choices.

I have this ski and absolutely love it! I'm a half inch shorter than @badger and a few pounds heavier, but man oh man, this ski is da bomb!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
How do they rate against the old Tierras?

I loved the Tierras. These aren't as heavy or stiff, but they can carve like nobody's business. I love how the Renouns feel super stable, no matter what the conditions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna