• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Has anyone tried a ski shipping service?

JessIsTryingToSki

Certified Ski Diva
In light of the Ski Diva's horror story, it got me wondering. I've seen services like shipskis.com and would be tempted to do that instead of carrying on.

Anyone have any reviews?

marzNC

Angel Diva
In light of the Ski Diva's horror story, it got me wondering. I've seen services like shipskis.com and would be tempted to do that instead of carrying on.

Anyone have any reviews?
Haven't really read many reviews. Know people who ship a big box to Alta Lodge with boots, helmets, etc. for the entire family. But they don't ski often and rent skis.

I always fly Southwest for assorted reasons. So does my ski buddy who lives in Cleveland. In the last ten years, between the two of us there was only one time a bag didn't make it. SW had the ski bag on the next flight and sent it FedEx to the resort where we were staying. Did require a bit of time on the phone to figure out what was going on.

On the flight out, I have ski jacket, ski pants, base layers, ski socks, helmet, goggles, gloves, and ski boots with me. If my checked luggage doesn't make it, I can ski for a day or two without going shopping.

There are lots of different ways to pack for a ski trip that involves flying.

I've flown a fair amount for leisure trips that don't involve skiing. Here's what works for me when I'm bringing skis for a week or two. The helmet is in a Transpack Sidekick. My boots and basic ski clothing is in a rolling Transpack boot carry-on, one pair of skis are in a Sportube 2 (with snow boots and a few other bulky items), rest of the clothes are in the red suitcase (4 wheels). Sometimes I take a larger rolling suitcase. Depends on transportation after I arrive. To get around the airport, I link the rolling Transpack and the small suitcase with a bungie cord. I wear or carry my ski jacket. Both the Transpack Sidekick and the rolling Transpack have a padded slot for a laptop.
Transpack red red 2016.jpg

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have. I had my skis shipped out to Steamboat several years ago. It was a total breeze - I packed my skis up in my sportube, clipped the shipping tag onto it, and they had my skis picked up at the house and the next time I saw them was when I was checking into our condo at Steamboat. I didn't have to worry about getting them to the airline, hauling them through any airport, finding a taxi that was properly configured for carrying something like that on either end, taking them on any bus, nothing. I would absolutely do it again.

We went skiing last year at Mount Hood, but I decided in advance not to bring my own sticks - but that was mostly because I knew that I probably don't have the right skis for the conditions we were likely to encounter, and so I settled on doing a performance rental. I definitely brought my own boots and helmet, though, and that stuff I DO NOT EVER consign to the baggage hold (see what just happened to Ski Diva). I've got a good carry-on bag that accommodates my ski gear.

The only real drawback to the ski shipping is that there was a gap between the time I needed to ship them and the time I left for my trip, so I had to use a spare pair for skiing during that period.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always ship our pants, jackets, ets. But the boots and helmets go on the plane on carry on with me. Skis we rent.

In fact, when I just got my new boots, Claude the boot fitter said they must go on the plane with me and never ever check them hehehe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna