• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Has anyone skied Dynastar Intense 12 or Rossignol Nova 14 or...?

Skisnow

Certified Ski Diva
Has anyone skied the Dynastar Intense 12 and/or the Rossignol Nova 14? Especially interested if you are a skier who sometimes slips into the back seat (as I do), I don’t want to overextend myself with too much of a ski. Also please any advise on length? Or alternatives.

More info:

I am 172cm and 70kg. I have a Dynastar Intense 10 in a 160cm, they are great, very forgiving, very easy, perhaps too easy. I would like something which perhaps is more grippy, more demanding and with more pop out of the turns.

However I have a back injury, limited mobility due to QL spasm (left hip to rib is a disaster), one leg which doesn’t respond well (am working on it). I currently ski with an a-frame very evident in one direction and slip into the backseat when things get hairy. Working on inside leg activation at the moment.

I’ve been suggested to forget women’s skis and get a race ski but am unsure. I did consider a Head I.Race SLR or the Supershape. Not by choice I did ski a Volkl Race Tiger SL in a 160cm and they were a blast, but I was exhausted after one run. Stuck on a Head FIS in a 165cm and I was just shoving them around not even turning them and they were very heavy with my current fitness level.

Jilly

Staff member
These skis are sisters from another mother. And both are very similar to the Rossi Hero MT. So they have race DNA.

If you like the Dynastar's but want a little more stiffness try the Rossi Hero ST Ti. I'll have to go find the Dynastar equal.

Basically you want a tuned down race ski.

Skisnow

Certified Ski Diva
These skis are sisters from another mother. And both are very similar to the Rossi Hero MT. So they have race DNA.

If you like the Dynastar's but want a little more stiffness try the Rossi Hero ST Ti. I'll have to go find the Dynastar equal.

Thanks, how stiff/hard are the Rossi Hero ST Ti? Are the women’s skis I mentioned more
Or less forgiving than the Rossi?

I feel like I want more from the skis definitely more grip and kick from the tail but every time I look at alternatives they seem like a big jump. I just don’t want to get something which I can’t do slow turns on when I need to, I want to be able to practice drills etc. on them and also don’t want something which is going to be really unforgiving when I touch the back seat (although I do tend to just stop completely and reset when this happens).

My current physical issues are that due to HSD I have big ankle instability which results in shortened calf muscles. I had strengthened and got a lot more flexibility in them but then neglected them for the last ten years when I stopped skiing (from back injury, IVF, pregnancy causing immune issue and treated with steroids which led to bone loss and muscle atrophy). I’ve started the last three months strengthening and stabilising the ankles and loosening the calves off but this does mean I ride more centred than I should with little ankle flex. It will improve, I have got there before but is taking time.

I also have a disc and SI joint issue so the right side of my lower back is in spasm and has reduced mobility. This means my turn to one side results in either very little angulation or an A-Frame as my hip folds in to compensate for the lack of mobility in my back. Basically hip to rib on my left side is literally impossible. I’m working with a rehab trainer to stabilise and strengthen before we move to loosening this off.

So skis which are a bit more stiff but not going to be completely unforgiving if I forget to drive them! Would any of these work? Is there such a thing? thanks

Skidreamer

Certified Ski Diva
Hi, I totally agree with your assessment of the Dynastar Intense 10, I have them too and find them ridiculously easy and forgiving for a ski supposedly intended at the advanced intermediate (or higher) market. Which is great for me, as I'm a very ordinary intermediate indeed. I'm 170cm, 58 kg, also on the 160cm length. I love them, will probably never be a good enough skier to outgrow them or draw out their full potential.

In trying to compare the 10 with the 12, why not have a look at some of the online reviews and videos on YouTube? There are a few there if you hunt around. Can you also get your hands on some to demo from somewhere? That's how I originally stumbled across mine (in Australia.) Let us know how you go with trying some different ones.

Skisnow

Certified Ski Diva

Just wanted to add thank you for the recommendation of the ST Ti - I hired them for a week in Zermatt and loved them so ordered a pair. Although they didn't arrive on time for my instructor training course so I bought a pair of Elan SLX locally - wow I really am in love with these now! Thanks again for the advice, no more piste skis for me!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly