• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Has anyone purchased special travel/medical insurance before?

mustski

Angel Diva
A flight nurse recommended this site and said that too often life flight is not covered my regular insurance. I got some quotes from them today and plan to make some phone calls tomorrow. One of the policies covered “skiing on marked trails” and I want to check if that includes trees. I’l update after phone calls tomorrow.
https://www.insuremytrip.com

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
The Nationwide Travel plan looks great for domestic travel! I think I would pay extra for the increased medevac coverage of up to $250k. Typical domestic medical helicopter flight is between $30-50k but at $20/year extra, it’s worth it for the peace of mind.

I always buy travel insurance for my retired mother when she goes abroad... I think it’s worth looking into for anyone that travels with any chronic health concerns. Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection has a very competitively priced product.

I don’t bother to insure the trip cost, but paying about $40 per trip for $1 million in medevac coverage provides me inexpensive peace of mind that no one will go bankrupt trying to get her to US medical care. I learned my lesson when my mom took her first trip abroad after retirement and texted me from a Malaysian hospital at 5am asking me to log onto her credit card site and pay down some of the card so she would have credit availability to pay thr hospital bill! Thankfully it was a very minor issue.

mustski

Angel Diva
I went with the nationwide insurance as mentioned by @WaterGirl and paid for the extra $250k evacuation. It cost $79 and was good all travel for one year from date of purchase. The same policy covers DH as long as we are traveling together. It won't cover him if he takes a trip separate from me since I am the primary policy holder. I confirmed two things:
1. it covers all inbounds skiing - ie: patrolled areas but it does not include backcountry skiing
2. although it say medical Evacuation must be approved in advance and by a physician, it means deemed necessary by whatever medical authority is there so that would include ski patrol. I specifically discussed in bounds avalanches as an example.

Something I have learned over the years, be very specific and ask these questions if you call. All phone calls are recorded so, if later, they try to deny services based on those issues - you can direct them to their own recording of the phone call. I specifically asked about trees that are within the resort boundaries and within patrolled areas. He said yes that is covered.

If you only need insurance for one trip, this company has a much more extensive coverage for the same price but it is only good for one trip. @nopoleskier there are a bunch of different policies. I am sure that some of them will provide coverage for NY.
https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-insurance-quote/?destination=USA#/quote/destination
Worldwide Trip Protector - $78 includes up to $1,000,000 for evacuation- medical and non medical. It has the same exclusions as above except it specifically mentions skiing off marked trails.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes thank you @ilovepugs - mammoth does not have an urgent care so you end up at the hospital .... non skiing incident for dd which quickly resolved :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna