• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Has anyone flown United on a ski trip?

mustski

Angel Diva
We always fly Southwest, but are flying United to Diva West this year. Their baggage policy says that skis and boots count as "one bag" and that you are allowed two. I am worried that they won't allow a double ski bag. DH and I both want to bring two sets of skis, but can bring just one if that's the rule. I can't find the info on their website and thought I would ask what your experiences are.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've flown United with skis. I've never checked a boot bag though, so haven't tested the skis/boots=one bag policy. But I've flown with skis and a checked suitcase, so 2 bags. I can't imagine they wouldn't allow a double ski bag as long as it's not over 50 pounds . . .

alison wong

Angel Diva
I've flown United with skis and ski bag. It is correct that ski bag + boot bag = count as one piece check in luggage -> as long as the total weight (i.e. ski bag+boot bag) does not exceed 50 lbs. They will ask you to put both on the scale and check weight.

Depends on what airport you are flying out of? Some airports are not as strict, they do not do the weight check (probably they were not aware of the weight limits for 2 combined bag?)
I remembered Denver Airport and Salt Lake City Airport did check the baggage weight...

Last edited:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have flown United w/my double sport tube and boot bag no issues w/me as single having 2 pair of skis and double sport tube. You'll be fine just be below the 50# yes, they did check the weight, I always carry my boot bag on the way out w/helmet/googles,ski pants,socks because I would be so upset if they lost my boots on the way to vacation but going home I check it all.

mustski

Angel Diva
I would think that as long as the ski bag (containing 2 pairs) doesn't go over the 50lbs, you're OK. You are NOT checking your boots I hope!
Boots will be carried on for sure! The helmet can go in the luggage because, truthfully, if necessary I can ski a day without one and I am happy enough to rent that. I will try to get my good socks and ski pants into the carry on as well.

Thanks everyone. I want to pack 2 pairs of skis and so does Bob so that will work out fine.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you go on your trip yet? I'm curious how it went. I'm flying united in January and from my Google research, they will allow 2 sets of skis per ski bag. The weight limit seems to be the most important part of the equation. I just hope I don't get a clueless clerk at the baggage check!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Side note: has anybody tried vacuum sealing their liquids to prevent leakage? I thought about it the other day when I was sealing some leftovers for the freezer. Think it would work to contain a leak? Or would a zip lock bag be just as good?

mustski

Angel Diva
We haven’t flown yet- our flight is end of January for diva West. I always pack liquids in ziplock freezer bags for extra safety against spillage. I would think a vacuum seal would be great. The issue is making sure the plastic is thick enough to withstand some abuse.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I not only use ziplock freezer bags when packing, I bring along a few extra empty ones. Usually the extras are gallon size.

Sparky

Angel Diva
What about boot heater batteries? I normally just have them in my boots and have only been questioned one time. That time the gate attendant gave me a couple strips of some kind of tape to put on each of them. Is there a special way they should be packed, should the batteries be taped whenever flying?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
What about boot heater batteries? I normally just have them in my boots and have only been questioned one time. That time the gate attendant gave me a couple strips of some kind of tape to put on each of them. Is there a special way they should be packed, should the batteries be taped whenever flying?
Are you checking your boots? Depends on your battery type - if they are lithium ion I believe they need to come in the cabin with you. If they are metal nickel hydride they should be fine as is.

Sparky

Angel Diva
I never check my boots, only when they require it at the gate on smaller planes where they won’t fit in the overhead. I have the Hotronic batteries and thought they may be lithium ion (whatever that really is idk) but looked it up and now know they are NiMH which you’re saying are fine. I guess that time the gate attendant made me put tape on the batteries was unecessary. Ok good to know for future reference, thanks!

R0ckette

Certified Ski Diva
I would suggest one of these for a carry on, that way you don't have to worry:

https://www.backcountry.com/dakine-boot-locker-duffel-4200cu-in

There's enough space for all of your ski gear (boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, & goggles) as well as another compartment separate to keep other items. I use it most often for something that I could get away with outerwear & a base layer if I need to, like yoga pants and an athletic top with a clean pair of socks.

I've used it as a carry on many times and never had a problem.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would suggest one of these for a carry on, that way you don't have to worry:

https://www.backcountry.com/dakine-boot-locker-duffel-4200cu-in

There's enough space for all of your ski gear (boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, & goggles) as well as another compartment separate to keep other items. I use it most often for something that I could get away with outerwear & a base layer if I need to, like yoga pants and an athletic top with a clean pair of socks.

I've used it as a carry on many times and never had a problem.
No kidding? I got DH one for Xmas but he didn't take it as a carry on because we figured it would be way too big. The measurements for united are something like 22x17x10. Might have to use it for the Montana trip.

R0ckette

Certified Ski Diva
No kidding? I got DH one for Xmas but he didn't take it as a carry on because we figured it would be way too big. The measurements for united are something like 22x17x10. Might have to use it for the Montana trip.

If you can squish it, the dimensions really don't matter. I would just make sure you aren't in the last group to board. In addition to that, I have a hard carry on that expands - and often travel with it expanded and I've never been checked to see if it would fit.

Edit: I just looked up the dimensions of the bag. It fits easily - at least by volume. Depth is a bit questionable, but I know it fits in United Airbus & Boeing overhead baggage areas with ease:

Tech Specs
Material
600D polyester, 300D poly twill
Shoulder Strap
yes
Dimensions
22 x 15 x 13 in
Recommended Use
travel, skiing, snowboarding
Manufacturer Warranty
limited lifetime

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can squish it, the dimensions really don't matter. I would just make sure you aren't in the last group to board. In addition to that, I have a hard carry on that expands - and often travel with it expanded and I've never been checked to see if it would fit.
We are usually the last to board because we choose seats in the second row from the back. Nobody wants a window seat in the back, it seems, so we usually have had that seat open by doing that.

Yamaste

Certified Ski Diva
We always use a double ski bag for every airline, including United, and it's never been over the weight limit and no airline has ever questioned how many skis we have inside. We also have a double boot bag that can hold 2 pairs of boots. If you have a scale, I would weigh them before hand as others have suggested.

Double ski bags and double boot bags are more expensive than single, but they more than pay for themselves!

mustski

Angel Diva
Truthfully, the biggest issue with ski luggage is maneuvering through the airport. I am ready to purchase a boot bag that is both a backpack and rolls. When DH is with me, it's not as big a deal. One of us pulls the ski bag and the other the suitcase and we each carry our own boot bag. When I am by myself, it's harder for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly