• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Has anyone ever done the Utah Interconnect tour?

sleddog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're thinking of taking the tour and wondered if anyone here has ever done this - how grueling an experience is it and are there any chutes that are required?

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't heard of it, but it sounds intriguing! Website or link to information??

altagirl

Staff member
I've never done the official guided tour you're talking about, but touring between the resorts is pretty easy. There's obviously some climbing involved, but there are pretty tame descents you can take. Avalanche danger is a much bigger concern IMO than difficult terrain this year, since we've had a particularly dangerous snowpack this season. But if you're paying for the tour, you're paying a professional to do the safe routefinding for you.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's doable with the right equipment and if you're with someone who knows the terrain. The Interconnect tours have not been as prevalent in 2006-07 ski year due to conditions. Avalanche conditions are not the greatest right now, with such a weird/erratic snow year, so be sure you know what conditions are and don't take any risks---guides should be hip to this, but there are some out there who may not be as savvy and willing to minimize the risks. Beacons recommended and most guides provide them. We had a slide in Little Cottonwood today, triggered by 2 backcountry skiers, who got out. Not all are that lucky. BTW: It's a lot of uphill hiking, some bowl shots, traversing, and resort runs.

sleddog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone - I know Epic had a thread about the tour a few years ago but I was hoping for a more recent review and wondered about the conditions this year - it's been awfully warm the last week and we're not leaving for Utah until March 22.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interconnect: The tours are running

Book now if you plan to go, as they seem to be filling up fast for certain dates, as the out-of-staters migrate in to Utah for their spring vacation. Expect spring skiing conditions----unfortunately no powder in the forecast. Slides are happening due to erratic snow year, see below from today's paper:

Avalanche Strikes Near Snowbird Ski Resort

LITTLE COTTONWOOD CANYON - A severe avalanche occurred in Little Cottonwood Canyon on Sunday afternoon -- near the Snowbird Ski Resort.

The large snowslide was reported at approximately 1:30 p.m. on Mount Superior. There were no reports of injuries and officials do not believe that anyone was caught in the avalanche, despite its close proximity to ski areas and backcountry terrain.

The Utah Avalanche Center issued an advisory on Sunday morning, reporting that danger was considerable due to the warm sunshine heating up the slopes

sleddog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've pretty much decided not to try it this year. I found out yesterday that my brother, who is meeting us there, is really most comfortable on the blue runs - has never skied powder and can't do the big bumps (found out though that he bought a pair of boots at a tent sale that are a size 27.5 and he wears an 8 shoe, - this could very well be the reason for no success in the bumps) - I'm afraid he'd be the one that got left behind after the ski off. If I find otherwise, we'll see if there are any openings towards the end of the week - but with the extremely warm temps today I'm not sure how the conditions will be.

As to how much hiking I do, I live in Wisconsin , so no hiking with skis is required, however, last year we did the same trip and had a couple of 20,000 vert. days - skiing everything from deep freshies in Mineral Basin at Snowbird to double blacks at Park City. My bigger concern is my husband and brother who are weaker skiers.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
The interconnect is something we really, really, want to try - hopefully in a year or two we'll be where we need to be to do it confidently.

They offer 2 routes, and one is more challenging than the other, though I forget which is which. They also take you on a "test run" at the resort you start at, and if the guides think you're not up to it you get a full refund.

There are also a ton of great travelogues online from people who've done it:
https://www.greatoutdoors.com/published/ski/rockymountain/powderperfect/
https://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ut/ski_int.htm
https://www.feedthehabit.com/articles/ski_utah_interconnect_tour.html

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's rather a weird snow/ski year here in Utah. With the high temps more like May here in Utah, the slides on the high cliffs are rampant. Slabs are sliding.

In normal years, the Interconnect is not technically difficult, but one must be in aerobic shape and be comfortable on skis in variable conditions. I do think the media overrates the experience (marketing etc. to eastern skiers). There are other excursions and adventures that could be equal or more fun for divas :-) But I'll keep it a secret.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lola's husband Phil did it, I am sure you can PM him off of Epicski.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly