• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Half great ski trip/half usual boot disaster

knolan12

Angel Diva
We're currently at Bretton Woods and were here yesterday. This trip last year is the one that was a pure disaster because of my new boots (crying on green trails cuz my feet then legs hurt so bad, etc). I was nervous cuz of this memory (my issues, not the actual resort haha)

Anyway, yesterday was great. I had taken my first lesson ever last week (I know I know) and learned that I was missing some of the basics. It was a private lesson and with the 1:1 attention, I really feel like I progressed quick. So yesterday I wanted to reinforce what I learned and it went pretty well. I stuck to Rangeview, which is one of the trails I got stuck on last year. It's long, but very gentle so it was great to use it to reinforce what I learned (chest facing downhill, leaning forward properly, using my poles correctly). It also helped build confidence as I definitely thought it was an easy trail and was very sure of myself on it.

Today, however, is a different story. I think one of the issues is we never ski two days in a row so I'm tired. And the boot issues have started up pretty much immediately. They were an issue yesterday, but I just got down the trail and it was brutal.

I had them stretched on the sides and given more room on top last week. When I put them on, they fit securely snug and I'm generally comfortable. But then the toes start to fall asleep fairly quickly and eventually the whole foot (both feet) start to ache. It felt like both the outside and the arches of my feet are burning when I turn. I did ask my instructor last week if there was anything form wise I'm doing to exacerbate the pain and he gave me a tip to keep lifting my toes to make sure I'm leaning forward properly and not putting all the pressure on my feet. I have been doing that, but when my toes are asleep in the gondola, it's a little late when it comes to skiing haha (I have also tried wiggling my toes while sitting, it helps a little but doesn't do it for the whole foot).

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to keep playing with the boots this season or just resign myself that I can only wear them for an hour before I need to take them off and have a break. We only have a few more ski days left this season (thanks to full-time jobs womp haha). We also have a plan to get pregnant later this year and from what I've read on other threads, it's very possible I'm going to need new boots after that anyway due to foot changes.

Anyway, just another foot vent but also a somewhat success story. Def feel like I'm becoming a better, more confident skiier. I just want the rest to catch up haha

Jilly

Staff member
I would ask your boot fitter to look at the cuff. It could be pinching some where and causing your foot to fall asleep. That was a problem I had. We had to bell out the top of the cuff and straighten out the tongue. It may not be your case though. I don't remember did you get foot beds made?

knolan12

Angel Diva
I would ask your boot fitter to look at the cuff. It could be pinching some where and causing your foot to fall asleep. That was a problem I had. We had to bell out the top of the cuff and straighten out the tongue. It may not be your case though. I don't remember did you get foot beds made?

We did just align the cuffs to my legs last round and I did notice an improvement today (the boots were pinching my calves and causing tender spots, with the adjustments I didn't even think about those spots). No custom footbeds and I think that will be my next step, seems like a minimal investment in the grand scheme of things so if it's not the answer, I won't be out too much haha

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you have custom insoles in these boots? If not, that probably will help. Your foot may be flattening as you ski and that may cause a nerve to get pinched. A support structure made from an impression of your foot will maybe keep that from happening.

If you already have a custom insole, then the next thing to consider is having any hot spots addressed. When you remove the boots at the end of the day, pull your socks off and look at the areas that have been hurting. If they are red, draw a circle around them with a big magic marker. You'll need to have that magic marker ready, because the red will diminish fast as you drive home. Then take pictures to show where the hot spots are. See your bootfitter for punches/grinding, and show him/her the photos. Or re-draw the circles before you go to the shop.

A third thing that may be causing the burning is a Morton's Neuroma. Look it up. The bootfitter can relieve the pressure that inflames that nerve with an additive to your custom footbed.

Bootfitter Adam Greenier at Sport Thoma in North Lincoln, exit 33 off I-93, is excellent. Call before you go. The shop is about 40 minutes southwest of Bretton Woods.

Good luck!

newboots

Angel Diva
I just want to say I love the title of your thread!

knolan12

Angel Diva
@newboots Haha thank you! I'm definitely pleased with the progress I've made post lesson (and my husband was impressed too!).

I went to my foot appointment this week and was kinda like wtf I'm getting annoyed here haha Since there aren't any hot spots in my boots causing irritation, we tried to put pressure on my calves (wrapped one very tightly, it's been two days and my leg is still sore haha) while doing calf raises to see if we could make my foot go numb haha That did not do the trick unfortunately so she doesn't think it's a compression issue with my boots on my calves. She was onboard with the idea of footbeds, but cautioned about making sure they don't take up too much volume which is fair and something I'm aware of.

We were contemplating going to Pat's Peak tomorrow, but honestly I'm tired and not sure I can fathom being in the car at 7 AM tomorrow to drive two hours May have to wait till next weekend to get back out on the slopes.

newboots

Angel Diva
We were contemplating going to Pat's Peak tomorrow, but honestly I'm tired and not sure I can fathom being in the car at 7 AM tomorrow to drive two hours May have to wait till next weekend to get back out on the slopes.

Ahh, I'm tired, too. I had an inadvertent trip down a bump trail on Tuesday, P.T. on Thursday, learning how to use weight machines - I overdid it. Skied Friday, only lasted an hour. My legs were toast! Skied today (huge crowds) and had an interesting fall. Mr. Blizzard is going out tomorrow to demo some slightly wider skis, because we actually have some snow, but I'm staying home!

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just curious, do you unbuckle your boots at the bottom of the lift, and rebuckle them at the top? I do have some boot issues that began this year (feet hurt immensely after a difficult bumpy run, starting at the beginning of the season on 1-2 year old boots and it’s making such runs very hard to finish), but I found these issues are so much worse if I don’t unbuckle after every run. I’m wondering if new insoles would help in my situation too.

knolan12

Angel Diva
@SierraLuLu I don't unbuckle them for the ride, though I'm going to try that this weekend. They're pretty loose anyway (3/4 are on the loosest setting, 1 is a little tighter near the ankle to keep my heel back). Where are your feet hurting?

Jilly

Staff member
Your feet shouldn't hurt, nor should you have to unbuckle on a ride up. Everyone get back to your boot fitter or find another....

I put my boots on in the morning and take them off when I'm done skiing. Only time I might play around with the buckles is if I've got a thicker pair of socks on for some reason. But that's first thing when I put them one.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I often times have to unbuckle the top buckle on my right boot before I get on the lift and/or if I am in a long lift line. I leave the power strap alone. I find lifts without the leg rest cause my right foot to ache and sometimes fall asleep. It's my finicky leg that has a nerve that can get irritated if the boot tongue isn't in just the right spot or if I tighten them too much. Some days I have no issues, some days I feel like I'm fighting that foot all day. Had same problem with my previous pair.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@knolan12 starting at the beginning of the season I was having trouble tightening them the right amount so they feel secure but not cutting off circulation. I have new heavier skis this year, but not new boots. I made some adjustments that helped, and then started unbuckling on the lift after every single run, which also helps. But after a run that’s long, bumpy and difficult, I feel so much pain it can be hard for me to finish. The pain is mostly spread out on the bottom of my feet, which are probably working too hard to stabilize me. At this point I think the issue may be as simple as not having enough arch support.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A fix on my boot troubles posted in this thread: I visited a reputable bootfitter during my last weekend skiing and they thought I didn’t have enough arch support because apparently arches can change over time? Because of this change I was over-tightening my boots which meant they were simultaneously too tight and too lose and my feet were doing too much work balancing. So they gave me new insoles and that fixed that. They also put some inserts in the back of my ankles so my ankles don’t move as much when I ski and I can actually lean more forward now without feeling like I’ll fall out of my boots. So with many things skiing-related, a good bootfitter is the solution!

knolan12

Angel Diva
So glad to hear you found a solution @SierraLuLu !! I added in high arch support insoles and it's made a huge difference. So interesting they can change over time, definitely something I'll keep an eye on.

knolan12

Angel Diva
Seems like the high arch support and latest boot tweaks have been the answer! Skiied Monday and Tuesday without the boots being too much of an issue. My feet bothered me some and I took a few short breaks, but overall it was such a difference! Now to actually focus on improving since this issue is pretty much solved

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly