• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

HAGYL Tear

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
Hi,
I’m 3 years into learning how to ski starting at the age of 65. I love the sport although I’m not totally at peace with the fear factor. I’m very fit and have been injury free until January at Deer Valley one of my skis slid under the other and I fell on hard ice dislocatng my left shoulder resulting in a HAGYL tear. My orthopedist said surgery would make it worse so I’ve been going to PT since January, several steroid shots and most recently PRP injected into the joint. All in all I can say I’ve had improvement but get discouraged because I’ve never had an injury that has lasted so long and so many people have discouraged me from going back to skiing. Has anyone else experience this kind of tear? Thank you.

Jilly

Staff member
First at our age, healing takes longer. At this point be thankful it's summer and you're not jonsing to go skiing.

These people that are discouraging you....are they skiers?? What does your PT and ortho say? When I went into the doc's about my knees, my doc's only comment was lets get you ready to ski next season. So look for the right educated people for help. Many people think skiing is dangerous sport. Yes it can be, but it can be managed too. And super fun!!

Keep at it with the healing process. You'll be better for all the work you are putting into it.

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Jilly,
Of course the people dissuading me from skiing are non skiers. My orthodontist is a skier and says because of my age, surgery is not an option and it will only make the injury worse. The shoulder is a complex joint and takes time to heal. He’s positive about my recovery but warns that skiing is not a benign sport but sees no reason why I can’t go back to skiing.

Thank you for you positive input!

marzNC

Angel Diva
My orthodontist is a skier and says because of my age, surgery is not an option and it will only make the injury worse. The shoulder is a complex joint and takes time to heal. He’s positive about my recovery but warns that skiing is not a benign sport but sees no reason why I can’t go back to skiing.
I assume you mean "orthopedic surgeon." :wink:

My experience with shoulder injuries is indirect. What I learned during knee rehab is that the decision to get back on the slopes after an injury is very personal. Can be more about the mental aspects than the physical. There were certainly people who thought I was making a big mistake skiing again without surgery to reconstruct an ACL, but it was the correct decision for me given my personality, fitness level, skiing ability, and age at the time.

My husband tore his rotator cuff playing tennis on vacation. Tried serving way too hard. Bottom line is that he had a frozen shoulder for over a year. Only did PT even though surgery was discussed. He did massage and stretching that we learned from PT that I did for him at home. After 2-3 years, he was close enough to normal. However, he stopped playing tennis. Wasn't something he was doing that often in any case. He is not a skier at all.

My old friend who is an advanced skier over 60 dislocated a shoulder during an Alta Demo Day a few years ago. He was having too much fun on skis that he ended up buying later on. Didn't need to do formal rehab, mostly just rested it I think. Alta Medical popped it back in that day. He was an advanced skier in middle school but has only been back on the slopes regularly in the last 5-10 years.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@DvR : I know you are a beginner, but here's a little inspiration. The story is about a senior who has no plans to stop skiing but also knows that avoiding a fall is important because it takes longer to recover after a certain age.

Vail Daily - March 2017
Skiing better at 90: Vail resident uses lessons to improve his technique

"VAIL — When Harvey Simpson was 80, he started getting nervous about his future as a skier. Realizing that one bad fall could end his days on the snow for good, he made a decision to reduce the chances of that happening by becoming a better skier.

"I decided, in order to avoid that I'd better ski correctly," Simpson said.

Simpson is a veteran of both World War II and the Korean War. He started skiing in New York in 1954 after he got out of the Navy, and he skied hard.

"I used to be wild out there," he said.

These days, he's 90 years old, skiing on two new hips and he resides at the Sonnenalp as their only permanent resident. Skiing as a lifestyle is very important to his goals in longevity.
. . .

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Jilly,
Of course the people dissuading me from skiing are non skiers. My orthopedic surgeon is a skier and says because of my age, surgery is not an option and it will only make the injury worse. The shoulder is a complex joint and takes time to heal. He’s positive about my recovery but warns that skiing is not a benign sport but sees no reason why I can’t go back to skiing.

Thank you for you positive input!
Hah
@DvR : I know you are a beginner, but here's a little inspiration. The story is about a senior who has no plans to stop skiing but also knows that avoiding a fall is important because it takes longer to recover after a certain age.

Vail Daily - March 2017
Skiing better at 90: Vail resident uses lessons to improve his technique

"VAIL — When Harvey Simpson was 80, he started getting nervous about his future as a skier. Realizing that one bad fall could end his days on the snow for good, he made a decision to reduce the chances of that happening by becoming a better skier.

"I decided, in order to avoid that I'd better ski correctly," Simpson said.

Simpson is a veteran of both World War II and the Korean War. He started skiing in New York in 1954 after he got out of the Navy, and he skied hard.

"I used to be wild out there," he said.

These days, he's 90 years old, skiing on two new hips and he resides at the Sonnenalp as their only permanent resident. Skiing as a lifestyle is very important to his goals in longevity.
. . .

This video is spot on and it’s exactly what I’m striving to do. I take lessons every time I go out because I want to technically ski correctly. Thank for posting it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna