• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Had such an awesome private lesson!

BMR

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got sick and tired of my husband 'teaching' me (you may recall my gripes from seasons past, lol) and booked us both a private lesson this past Sunday. It was THE best thing ever for a couple of reasons. Reason one, we both got a lot out of it. Reason two (and the more important one, haha) is that it was humbling for my husband who realized that just because he skis faster and is more adventurous does not mean he is better. SWEET!

It was supposed to be raining that day, but when I woke up and saw nice and clear skies I called up the office and asked for the same instructor I had a private lesson with at the beginning of the season. She was not working that day, but they recommended a different instructor who was apparently very popular. The office asked me about our level and what we wanted to work on. I said we ski all blues comfortably, blacks less comfortably when conditions are not ideal but quite comfortably when it is not icy. Wanted to work on upper-lower body separation, bumps, and hubby wanted to work on carving. They said we will love this instructor, and so I booked a 3-hr lesson with Justin. We left the kids at the condo and went.

First, Justin asked us what we usually ski. We told him we usually warm up on the blues down here and then go to the peaks and would do the blues and blacks there. So with that we went up to our warm up blues and he had us ski a bit while skiing around us watching. First comment out of his mouth: "Wow, you guys really undersold yourselves, you can actually ski!" It was so great to hear... until I started thinking yeah right, he is just saying that to be encouraging, all instructors say good things before digging in, lol. Then he proceeded to say "however, we can always improve, no matter how well we ski", and the work began. First things first, pivot slips. We did it in my previous lesson early in the season, but for some reason I never practiced past the lesson. I should have. Husband was just as bad as me. It was funny, Justin demonstrated, I tried first, it was not pretty. Asked husband, can you do these? He said, yes, of course, and proceeded to NOT be able to do it. LOL. We eventually got it, and it is easier on steeper pitches.

Then we went into the bumps. OMG, that was hard. They were not small bumps, they were huge. Perhaps Justin should have started us on smaller ones, but he did not. We could traverse them, but actually turning was a bit dicy, and we fell a bunch of times, yard sales everywhere. Problem: when flying up on top of a bump we ended up in the back seat and did not correct for that making it harder to turn. We were somewhat more successful with smaller bumps.

After we had enough of the bumps he suggested we try one of the blacks. It is one of the steeper blacks on the mountain, and we do it from time to time, but get defensive on it when it is icy. He started us out with pivot slips. Reason: to get us used to staying in a narrow corridor of snow to stay off the icy middle portion. It is amazing how that one drill is so incredibly helpful. I am going to do it every single morning as a warmup. After pivot slipping for a bit I was able to do short dynamic turns with rhythmical pole plants all the way down, no defensiveness, feeling completely confident and in control. That was my best black run ever. Hooray!

We finished off the lesson with doing some one-legged skiing (both skis still on) on a green run to get used to balancing on the new outside ski sooner. He suggested we try and do this any time it is flat, while traversing, etc, just to make a good use of these sections instead of just cruising. On the subject of carving... Hubby was obsessed with wanting to do it, but Justin set him straight. There is a time and a place for doing that, but it is not on every terrain and not in all conditions. We did a bit, but personally, it was not too helpful because yeah, ok, I get wanting to do it but it is not a goal of mine, and I don't like to go fast anyway.

Overall, such a great lesson. Hubby noticed a huge difference in my skiing, and he himself learned a ton and was very humbled. I am glad. He needed to be taken down a notch to slow down and take it down to the fundamentals instead of just going fast all the time. As everyone always says, speed hides a multitude of sins.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I really love the idea of doing the balance checks when you’re on a flat part. Constant reminder and muscle memory building.

Sounds great!

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great lesson and great feedback. While riding the lifts with my daughter and one of my favorite instructors (female) she would point out to us the flawed technique of skiers speeding down the hill - 99% were guys

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@BReeves215 Where is this female instructor - in NH/VT? also OP @BMR Great positive vibe post! Glad you had such a great day. Where did you ski/where is Justin? Anyone have a fave instructor at Sunapee?

Reactions: BMR

newbieM

Angel Diva
That sounds like an awesome lesson. I’ve never heard of pivot slips and looked them up. They look like such a great skill. I would never have my BF teach me. We are just not on the same level and I don’t want to introduce that dynamic with skiing. He’s taught me other things like drive stick shift with a ton of patience but I think it takes some knowledge on how to teach to do an effective job of it.

So glad you had a great lesson and learned new things.

Latetotheparty

Certified Ski Diva
I looked up pivot slips, and I am not sure I get it. It seemed like a how to bailout of of a bad situation. Useful, no doubt! I think my preference is to work on skills long before I get into a bad situation. Which is probably why I’m I am still such a cautious skier.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I looked up pivot slips, and I am not sure I get it. It seemed like a how to bailout of of a bad situation. Useful, no doubt! I think my preference is to work on skills long before I get into a bad situation. Which is probably why I’m I am still such a cautious skier.
Would need an instructor like @liquidfeet or @snoWYmonkey to explain why pivot slips are considered a fundamental drill for advanced skiers. What I know as as advanced skier who's been taking lessons regularly is that it's been part of lessons I've had with over 10 different L3 instructors in the past five years.

As for "survival" skills to get out of a bad situation on steep terrain, regular side slips (both directions) and Falling Leaf are well worth learning and practicing. Note that what seems "steep" is relative. A steep section of a blue may call for side slipping for someone who isn't skiing black trails yet. What someone skis one day in good soft snow might be worth Falling Leaf a day later if the snow is frozen and unforgiving.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
pivot slips are considered a fundamental drill for advanced skiers. What I know as as advanced skier who's been taking lessons regularly is that it's been part of lessons I've had with over 10 different L3 instructors in the past five years.
Pivot slips is on the agenda for my lesson Friday. I'm working on preparing for moguls, so I assume it relates to moguls in some way ... maybe how to bail out of them since he may already know that's a skill I will need!

Latetotheparty

Certified Ski Diva
That makes a whole lot of sense! I have not been able to take lot of lessons, and am not familiar with a great deal of the terminology- so I keep looking things up. My experience has been skiing 10 to 12 days a season, back in the ‘70’s, then 2 really great seasons in the ‘80’s at Purgatory- and then a huge hiatus due to to health Issues. Now, I’m back. Skiing with people born skiing- who have adapted the “new” ski technology to their own style-and it’s a whole new world! I ski mainly blues and a very few blacks- I look up the terms, and watch the videos, and I know I know I have a lot to learn. Falling Leaf is another one I have to look up.it sounds lovely.but if you’re talking frozen and unforgiving... not so much.
Would need an instructor like @liquidfeet or @snoWYmonkey to explain why pivot slips are considered a fundamental drill for advanced skiers. What I know as as advanced skier who's been taking lessons regularly is that it's been part of lessons I've had with over 10 different L3 instructors in the past five years.

As for "survival" skills to get out of a bad situation on steep terrain, regular side slips (both directions) and Falling Leaf are well worth learning and practicing. Note that what seems "steep" is relative. A steep section of a blue may call for side slipping for someone who isn't skiing black trails yet. What someone skis one day in good soft snow might be worth Falling Leaf a day later if the snow is frozen and unforgiving.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Falling Leaf is another one I have to look up.it sounds lovely.but if you’re talking frozen and unforgiving... not so much.
I use Falling Leaf more often on soft snow on steeper terrain in a situation that's relatively narrow. It's more flexible than side slipping.

My experience has been skiing 10 to 12 days a season, back in the ‘70’s, then 2 really great seasons in the ‘80’s at Purgatory- and then a huge hiatus due to to health Issues. Now, I’m back.
Welcome back! The current design for boots and skis really does make skiing easier. But making use of the skis works better with technique that's a bit different than what worked well on the straight skis of the 1980s. I have a pair of those in my closet.

If you are the type to read about ski technique, Soft Skiing by Lito Tejada-Flores, might be useful. I'm a visual learner so in-person lessons work best. I got some useful ideas from the book that helped me understand what instructors were trying to get me to feel.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@BReeves215 Where is this female instructor - in NH/VT? also OP @BMR Great positive vibe post! Glad you had such a great day. Where did you ski/where is Justin? Anyone have a fave instructor at Sunapee?
You can always ask a ski school if there is a good female instructor. If you also mention that you would prefer a Level 3 instructor but that a Level 2 would be fine, it can help make it clear you probably won't be happy with someone who is really only qualified to teach beginners.

Reactions: BMR

Latetotheparty

Certified Ski Diva
I use Falling Leaf more often on soft snow on steeper terrain in a situation that's relatively narrow. It's more flexible than side slipping.

Welcome back! The current design for boots and skis really does make skiing easier. But making use of the skis works better with technique that's a bit different than what worked well on the straight skis of the 1980s. I have a pair of those in my closet.

If you are the type to read about ski technique, Soft Skiing by Lito Tejada-Flores, might be useful. I'm a visual learner so in-person lessons work best. I got some useful ideas from the book that helped me understand what instructors were trying to get me to feel.
So awesome that you would say that! I love that book- that’s what got me going last year on learning new techniques, and ultimately, brought me here. I have already learned several game-changing things, and am scouring this site for new things. And I’ve found plenty! I think I need to focus on lessons next year, though- too much I don’t know. This a truly fun new adventure.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pivot slips are by default the shortest radius turn possible, and moguls are usually judged by keeping the skis in a narrow corridor, aka the zipper line.

Pivot slips help develop rotary skills, while promoting the ability to flatten the skis which allows for greater friction. Friction of a flatter edged ski will slow the skier down, as opposed to higher edged carved turn. In moguls speed control is the key to successful learning.

Slowing down without using skiing across the hill in a traverse is also useful in very narrow colours and chutes.

A solid pivot slip combines speed control with ultra short radius, and once that technique is learned it is easy to add a slightly bigger radius and also apply it to steeps or tight trees where once more managing speed is critical.

(Written during a bout of 2 am insomnia)

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am only speaking as a student here with my own experience - to me pivot slips aren't about bailing out, falling leaf and sideslipping is my bailout (but only on my 'good' side!) for steep slopes.

For me, pivot slips are a struggle BUT they really help upper/lower body separation, are useful for my awareness of where my weight is in relation to my skis, make sure I sideslip on my 'bad' side because I HAVE to turn both ways and I think when I do them, my skiing improves afterwards!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@scandium my dearest friend who only learned to ski in her forties, was flabbergasted when she discovered that side slips are not just for "bailing" as she had assumed. Discovered this when she was watching Seth Morrison, the extreme skier, in a documentary about his first trip skiing in chamonix. He would sideslip or forward sideslip across particularly dangerous blue ice sections above Cliff bands. Not because he was bailing but because it was the only safe way to navigate a particular stretch. Meanwhile, she thought that she had been taught the skill and would never use it again once she became an advanced skier. It is at once drill that helps us in all aspects of skiing, and a skill at the best experts in the world continue to use regularly. Where I teach, we do not let our students advance to Blue runs until they have mastered side slipping on easy terrain.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think of ski skills as residing on a spectrum defined by pivot slips on one end and RRTrx (railroad tracks) on the other. Gain the skills to do both of these drills and you'll have a very full toolbox to use on the mountain.

1. Pivot slips take the skier at a constant speed straight down the fall line without any left-right travel, but with maximum ski rotation and minimal edging. Legs are rotated separate from and beneath the pelvis. Skis are pointed all the way to the skier's left then all the way to skier's right, while the upper body faces as much downhill as the skier's range of motion at the hip joint (the pivot point) will allow. The required level of precision control over edging, weight distribution, and leg rotation to do pivot slips without left-right travel and at a constant downhill speed is very high. Once the skier has built the edging, balance, and rotation skills to do pivot slips, that precision control is available for use in all turns.

2. RRTrx take the skier straight down the fall line with only a small amount of left-right travel inside a very narrow corridor. This left-right travel is created exclusively by tipping the skis. Ski rotation is forbidden. Skis are tipped by the feet and lower legs while the upper body stays laterally upright (no leaning) and balanced over the skis. Pencil-thin tracks resembling railroad tracks are left in the snow. Speed gain happens as there is no speed control without increasing the width of the corridor with completed turns. This drill is usually done on low pitch terrain because of the speed issue. Very precise control over edging, balance, and rotation (preventing it) is required to keep the tracks pencil-thin. Building the skills to make those thin tracks gives the skier precision control over edging, balance, and rotation that will be available for use in all turns.

Pivot slips and RRTrx develop very different skills, each in isolation. One develops ski rotation without edging. The other develops ski edging without rotation. Both require everything else to be working properly too.

Learning to do these two drills is a worthy goal. But they are drills. The precision control over body and skis that they require is usually the goal.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna