• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gymnastics - got a trick back!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just found out the gym my niece goes to has open gym and allows adults. I think I'm going one week - just to play and see if I can still do anything.

I forgot to ask, have you gone yet? :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
Just wanted to share that I am sooo close to having my kip on bars back. Like this.close. I've made it 3 times on my own sporadically, the 3rd time being the best kip I've done on my own so far. Just have to get more consistent with it now. :smile:

Supposedly, this coming Sunday our coach wants me to try a flyaway on bars. So if I don't come back, I probably died.

I can't wait to hear how it goes!

I've got nothing to add - I only did gymnastics for maybe 2 years as a kid and barely remember it. But in yoga I do finally have my handstand down to where I can at least sometimes get up and hold without touching a wall (and finally had the guts to try in the middle of the room), and finally can pike up from a wide straddle to a headstand and back down with no wall, all of which were accomplishments for me. It's yoga instead of gymnastics, but the handstand feels like gymnastics to me! :smile:

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I forgot to ask, have you gone yet? :smile:
Not yet. I've been doing a 12 week exercise program and next week is the last week. So, maybe next Friday or definitely the week after! Looking forward to trying it.

Congratulations on almost having the kip back!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Made 2 kips by myself today, or was it 3? So getting ever so slightly more consistent with them. I'm still shocked every time I find myself flopped on top of the bar at the end of an attempted kip. I never really expect that I'm going to make it. haha.

Tried two flyaways today. First one was bad, bad, bad. It was more of a flyaway layout because I was stiff as a board. I also released too late and almost whacked my feet on the high bar while flipping (if anyone knows what a flyaway is). Ooops! Second one was much better. Nerve wracking though!

But I LIVED! :thumb:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Feet! Although, it wasn't pretty and there was a good amount of shuffling/stumbling after my feet hit. :smile:

Coach also stuck me on the strap bar and was trying to work me up towards a giant. Uh... no. Once my tap swings started getting too high for my comfort level, I bailed on him. I'm not sure I care if I ever do a giant.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I don't know (never having done either flyaway or giant, thank you very much) but at least with the giant you get to keep your hands on the bar. Although with a death grip I guess you'd never really make it all the way around, without peeling the skin from your palms, that is.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't wait to hear how it goes!

I've got nothing to add - I only did gymnastics for maybe 2 years as a kid and barely remember it. But in yoga I do finally have my handstand down to where I can at least sometimes get up and hold without touching a wall (and finally had the guts to try in the middle of the room), and finally can pike up from a wide straddle to a headstand and back down with no wall, all of which were accomplishments for me. It's yoga instead of gymnastics, but the handstand feels like gymnastics to me! :smile:

That's totally gymnastics! I LOVE headstands. My headstand is much better than my handstand too. I devoted a lot of time and energy into my headstand when I was a kid (turning, clapping, pike, straddle, etc.), because we had a weekly headstand contest every Friday at our gym. If you won, you got out of some of the conditioning the following week. If only I had put as much effort into my handstand. :tongue:

altagirl

Staff member
That's totally gymnastics! I LOVE headstands. My headstand is much better than my handstand too. I devoted a lot of time and energy into my headstand when I was a kid (turning, clapping, pike, straddle, etc.), because we had a weekly headstand contest every Friday at our gym. If you won, you got out of some of the conditioning the following week. If only I had put as much effort into my handstand. :tongue:

That sounds so fun!!

And I know - it's so easy to get sucked into working on whatever you're best at! The funny thing is I was obsessed with handstands but then my wrists started bothering me from overdoing it, so I switched to headstands and forearm balances, and now I'm sort of back and forth, but they're both coming along. And most of the improvement right now is coming from core strength. If I can go up slower, I don't need to recover my balance once I'm up, but man does that take a lot of core!

Jenny

Angel Diva
@timymoose - So we're at the grocery store today, headed toward the ice cream, and who do we walk by but Shannon Miller (are you old enough to remember her?). She had two of the Olympic gold medals from 1996 with her and was signing autographs, and something or other with Hershey. I made sure to touch one of them - they're huge.

So we stopped and chatted ever so briefly. We saw her in 1991 World Championships, in Indianapolis. I always liked her style, more so than some of the others she was competing against at the time.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny definitely not too young to remember her! The 1992 Olympics were a very big part of my getting into gymnastics at the ripe old age of 13. lol

I'll always love her floor routines, even if she wasn't the most powerful tumbler. So graceful.

Jenny

Angel Diva
You DID leave it until late, didn't you?! What it remember most is the contrast between her and the power tumblers. The event I most remember her for most is beam.

At any rate, she's aged gracefully. Looked really good - still recognizable, although the sign and medals did help. Otherwise I might have spent the rest of the day going "She looked really familiar, where do I know her from?" and not figuring it out until later.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thought of you, @tinymoose, when watching the bar routines. I think it's so cool that you've gotten back into gymnastics -- and fabulous that your instructor even suggested a giant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly