• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gymnastics - got a trick back!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That video was hilariously awful! I'm glad us old folks just tumble. I have no desire to prance around the floor again! Although, now I'm now embarrassed for juvenile tinymoose! I did see the infamous fall out of the spin represented in that video, though!

Sent from my SGH-i667 using Board Express

altagirl

Staff member
Altagirl - Lately my yoga instructors seem to be focusing on the splits, which I also could never do as a kid, so I'll be sure to check out that link. I still don't see it happening for my body, but we'll see. I can do a handstand now, and even take my feet off the wall for a few seconds, which is more than I could do before, too, so I guess you never know.

Well, and Dr. Long can do it too and he's basically built like a linebacker rather than your typical yogi, so that also made me think a little more positively about the whole thing. Plus, I had been blaming my "bad knees", but he actually did an eval on my knees for the group so they could all see what ACLs with some laxity look like and he basically said there's no reason he can see that I can't do it if I put forth the effort to work on it as he showed. He recommended doing the process shown on the blog every other day for 6-8 weeks. I made it through about 3 weeks and then did something (unrelated to yoga) to one of my knees and took a break. But now that they're feeling better I think I'm going to give it another shot. In the 3 weeks or so that I was working on it I went from my butt being about 12" from the floor to being about 4" from the floor, which is huge improvement. The fun thing is that that improvement opened up several other poses that I couldn't really get into before.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can so totally relate to many of the comments here. Not because I did gymnastics, but because my girls were competitive gymnasts for so many years. My oldest daughter continued to compete right on into collegiate gymnastics. When she visited a gym to see a friend's little daughter "perform" in class last year, my daughter was thrilled when she just managed a glide kip on bars ! I know how much time, energy, strength and flexability conditioning are needed to do even the simplest of tricks. Congrats to you, Tinymoose for still "having it"! :smile:

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG you made me laugh... as far as I can tell, current floor routines are a mix of tumbling and catching your breath while you wave your hands gracefully/artistically, snort...

But check this out. Talk about funny!

Some definitely ungraceful moments there!

That hand waving while catching their breath from tumbling passes makes me laugh sometimes. Granted the tumbling skill difficulty has increased quite a bit, but I miss the dance artistry of the old Soviet teams.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
My mother sent me this link-

This is for all of us- "used to do gymnastics when we were younger" people. She is amazing. You have to watch. I'm feeling pretty good about her routines (at least her floor routine)- that I could still do that. But she is 41 years older than me

https://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=WK67PWNX

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing is right!

What are you waiting for, ride_ski? Get back out there!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've seen videos of hers before. I do wonder why the parallel bars, rather than uneven bars? I've only ever seen videos of her doing parallel. Maybe since it doesn't involve all of the swinging and transitions between low and high bars? Probably not as risky?

She kinda motivated me to get back into it, since I couldn't really use age as an excuse. My flexibility is crap right now, though. :smile: Kinda limits what I can do on floor. I'm sure she's more flexible than me at this point!

You should try it ride_ski!! Fun way to get a good work out!

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've seen videos of hers before. I do wonder why the parallel bars, rather than uneven bars? I've only ever seen videos of her doing parallel. Maybe since it doesn't involve all of the swinging and transitions between low and high bars? Probably not as risky?
I was surprised at the parallel bars also, since it's not a women's event. But I guess they would be a lot harder for her. On the parallel bars she can use her strength and agility, which she still has quite a lot of, bless her.

I admit, though, I was waiting for at least a back handspring on floor. Silly me. :doh:
What seems so easy and basic when you're just watching is actually quite difficult to do.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wiki tells me she started gymnastics as a kid.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Wiki tells me she started gymnastics as a kid.
I kind of figured she'd have to - but I was wondering what kind of career she would have had, based on her age and whatever the state of competitive gymnastics was when she was a kid. The things she did on pbars kind of reminded me of a "posing" style - which isn't exactly the term I'm looking for and anyone that can pose in the plank thingy she did is amazing - but I think what I'm getting at is that "artistic" gymnastics is more "athletic" gymnastics today, and maybe what she's able to do now is the same as when she was competing. I mean, do you think she competed in an era when she would have don a back handspring on floor? I need to do some googling.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wiki said she began competing in 1934. I haven't the foggiest what gymnastics looked like in 1934...

Jenny

Angel Diva
Been googling - the British women in 1908 had lovely uniforms. Can't see any skin except their faces and hands, and they're all in a line holding up hoops.

The first Olympic women's gymnastics was 1928 (I think it said) and was synchronized calisthenics!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Weird, apparently gymnastics used to include a lot of track and field stuff...

https://usagym.org/pages/home/gymnastics101/history_artistic.html

As late as the 20's, apparently women could only compete in team "synchronized calisthenics."

https://gymnastics.isport.com/gymnastics-guides/history-of-gymnastics

I would wager there probably wasn't much in the way of tumbling back then, and but it sounds like it was maybe more leaps and dance, more similar to rhythmic gymnastics today? Kinda more similar to what we're actually seeing in her floor routine! She probably never dropped the tumbling because of age, because it was probably never a part of gymnastics when she competed. But I bet they could dance! :tongue:

https://www.fig-gymnastics.com/vsit...88434-205656-44680-282887-custom-item,00.html

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Been googling - the British women in 1908 had lovely uniforms. Can't see any skin except their faces and hands, and they're all in a line holding up hoops.

The first Olympic women's gymnastics was 1928 (I think it said) and was synchronized calisthenics!

I apparently took too long writing my response. haha.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maria Filatova, circa 1980:
Much more graceful than what we see now. But I think I've read that the Russian girls received solid ballet training.

Jenny

Angel Diva
We were at my husband's hometown Sports Hall of Fame banquet this past weekend. He's a member, and they were also inducting John Geddert (Jordyn Wieber's coach and head coach of the 2012 Olympic women's team). John graduated from the same high school as DH - I think they were on the team together for one year. Also there was Kurt Golder, who was the assistant coach of the men's Olympic team, and also graduated from the same high school. Kurt has been coach of the U of M men's team for 17 years now, and they just won NCAA nationals. U of M is hosting nationals next year, so we're already planning to go.

I just really love gymnastics. Never could do it - waaaaay too tall and uncoordinated - but I never thought I'd get to know people who are big in the sport. It's my little brush with greatness. :smile:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly