• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Guatemala, February 2010

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recently returned from a weeklong trip to Guatemala. I went with a charitable organization I'm involved with called Friendship Bridge. We provide microcredit loans to women in Guatemala to allow them to start or expand their own businesses. The women join together in borrowing groups and all collectively guarantee each others loans. This trip allowed us to travel around the country meeting some of the borrowers, seeing some of the educational programs Friendship Bridge provides and hearing how these very small loans have changed the lives of these women and their children.

The kitchen belonging to one of our clients. This woman uses her loan to raise chickens and pigs, as well as to grind maize for tortillas:

DSC00702.jpg

The grounds of the hotel on the shores of Lake Atitlan where we stayed later that night. Kind of a disconnect from the homes we had visited earlier in the day.

DSC00722.jpg

The waterfront in Santiago Atitlan with views of one of the many volcanos surrounding the lake.

DSC00746.jpg

Maria, one of our borrowers showing and describing her work. This woman is 26 years old, speaks only Quiche (a mayan language) and has only been as far as 2nd grade. Her loan enables her to buy thread for the beautiful embroidery work that she does. The money that she has made (as well as other family earnings) has allowed her extended family to buy a house and to send their children to school.

DSC00732.jpg

Maria's sister in law making tortillas in an open air kitchen.

DSC00735.jpg

Riding in a tuk tuk to visit the village of Santa Caterina Palopo.

DSC00771.jpg

Members of our borrowing group in Santa Caterina Palopo.

DSC00776.jpg

Me with Maria, the daughter of one our our members. She was quite the little entertainer!

DSC00780.jpg

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Looks awesome. When I was deep in the Yucatan a few years ago, I had the opportunity to buy some beautiful embriodery direct from a women's collective... not the usual tourist way to but things. It was a really fun experience.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
That is fantastic, and what a great trip. I am a huge fan of microloans, especially for rural women. They do such great things!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna