• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Grocery shopping during COVID

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh man. We’re allowed to being reusable bags still, if we bag our own groceries. Which is what I’ve been doing, because all that plastic makes me hyperventilate. But I also get super stressed bagging, because it takes me longer and I hold up the line. My pandemic grocery store anxiety has seriously been the focus of more than one therapy session. Sheesh.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just thought of something else - I miss being able to use the reusable grocery bags! We’re just back from the grocery store with at least eleventy-seven of the stupid thin plastic bags.

No reusable bags yet where I live in Rhode Island. I can use them, as long as I bag, in Vermont. And I was given plastic bags in New Hampshire. It can make my head spin! I’d be fine with bagging my own. But every place is different.

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just thought of something else - I miss being able to use the reusable grocery bags! We’re just back from the grocery store with at least eleventy-seven of the stupid thin plastic bags.
Me too!!! A few of our stores are at least using paper not plastic...but the paper is pretty thin, so I end up have a million bags

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No reusable bags yet where I live in Rhode Island. I can use them, as long as I bag, in Vermont. And I was given plastic bags in New Hampshire. It can make my head spin! I’d be fine with bagging my own. But every place is different.
Both the NH and MA stores that I go to are allowing the reusable bags. I had built up quite the supply of the plastic bags in the last year.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, that's wild. Plastic bags got banned in supermarkets in New Zealand a year or two ago, so now we all just have collections of reusable bags at home!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Oh, that's wild. Plastic bags got banned in supermarkets in New Zealand a year or two ago, so now we all just have collections of reusable bags at home!
They've been training us pretty successfully it seems to use the reusable ones, then the pandemic and we we weren’t allowed to. They'll have to start all over again!

I think if I brought them we'd be allowed to put the plastic ones inside them. And if you ask quick enough, they have paper, but they don’t have handles and are kind of a pain, too.

We do reuse the plastic ones when we clean the litter box, but she's only one cat and we have quite a supply! Luckily, we can also take them back to the store for recycling there, but it's just one more thing to fit in.

Christy

Angel Diva
Funny how variable the grocery bag thing is. Most here have gradually let people use their own again but my main store still doesn't. Plastic bags have been banned in Seattle forever and stores charge 10 cents each for paper, unless they are a store that doesn't let you bring your own. The food banks will take people's used paper bags.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
On the note of plastic, and cheap bag plastic in particular, I thought I would share this lovely story of a local not for profit that I really love. I’ve bought baskets from them and it’s just so cool.
Total non-sequitir (sorry) ... but I love the idea of reusing the cheap plastic into a truly durable item while also creating social good.

Look at the pictures on the bottom! (if you’re a crocheter, you can find instructions online on how to do this. I am literally the worst at crochet and have a local good cause source, so I just try to remember to donate bags and then buy baskets... LOL)

https://www.whynotnowmissions.org/milwaukeesnewestartisans

Jilly

Staff member
We've been able to use our own bags since summer. But you have to bag your own. I too feel like I'm holding up the line. Normally the cashier would be bagging while I was using the machine to pay. But it's the way it is, deal with it.

ski skuhl

Angel Diva
I became an early adopter of grocery delivery service so did not need to make that pivot a year ago. Seriously, I get so distracted and over-stimulated in large modern grocery stores I come out tired, thirsty, and behaving like a cranky toddler. Oh, and I leave with a fraction of what was on my list.:doh:

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I became an early adopter of grocery delivery service so did not need to make that pivot a year ago. Seriously, I get so distracted and over-stimulated in large modern grocery stores I come out tired, thirsty, and behaving like a cranky toddler. Oh, and I leave with a fraction of what was on my list.:doh:

I am so this person, too. I was using curbside/service desk pickup at stores for like 2 years before COVID hit (especially during the holidays at stores like Target!) This last year has made me feel so validated in this lifestyle choice. :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I am doing curbside pick up at local Independent market.. had groceries delivered for about 6 months and pick up 6 months. Wonder if I’ll ever go to Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s again.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish this were me. I go to the store and come home with at least twice what I went for, and then on the way home realize I forgot something.

kiki

Angel Diva
Yes me too, I hate grocery stores and crowds and have used a delivery service for several years. It’s nice to have the groceries show up at the door.

Christy

Angel Diva
Funny, since I've had more time during Covid I do more grocery shopping than ever. I go to an independent grocery for my main shop, a large natural food coop for my produce and a few other things, my small neighborhood market for the things I forget, and a bakery 7 minutes away for my bread. When I go to my favorite park in another neighborhood I take the opportunity to go to a great grocery over there.

If my only choice were one of those huge chain supermarkets where they keep all the sugary cereals on the bottom shelf I would never want to go. I can't stand a bad grocery and I tend to think poorly of places that only have bad chain groceries (Boise, I'm looking at you).

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I rather enjoy grocery shopping. I like browsing and noticing new items to try. I don't think I'd enjoy grocery delivery that much---however last April when the pandemic was new, we did try to get groceries delivered but there were no slots open so couldn't. We have 3 grocery stores in my town--2 are part of the same local chain (not a huge national chain) and one is Trader Joe's. The 2 local ones are not crowded, so never an issue going there. Trader Joe's is always crowded--even during non covid times so I really only go there like once a year.

ski skuhl

Angel Diva
Funny, since I've had more time during Covid I do more grocery shopping than ever. I go to an independent grocery for my main shop, a large natural food coop for my produce and a few other things, my small neighborhood market for the things I forget, and a bakery 7 minutes away for my bread. When I go to my favorite park in another neighborhood I take the opportunity to go to a great grocery over there.

If my only choice were one of those huge chain supermarkets where they keep all the sugary cereals on the bottom shelf I would never want to go. I can't stand a bad grocery and I tend to think poorly of places that only have bad chain groceries (Boise, I'm looking at you).
We are fortunate to have a two independent grocers and a small cooperative grocer/farm market in the historic neighborhood in Philadelphia that we live in. We were working members of but it is tiny and because of the pandemic we opted out, paid the extra fee in lieu of work hours. I went in there once months ago for milk or something and even though the number of shoppers is capped the aisles and overall space is just too limiting to allow for any social distancing. I left without anything.
Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are conveniently located just too big for me. Having everything delivered to my doorstep is just magical for me....well, not as magical as a powder day. ;-)

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am doing curbside pick up at local Independent market.. had groceries delivered for about 6 months and pick up 6 months. Wonder if I’ll ever go to Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s again.
I am so this person, too. I was using curbside/service desk pickup at stores for like 2 years before COVID hit (especially during the holidays at stores like Target!) This last year has made me feel so validated in this lifestyle choice. :smile:
Yes me too, I hate grocery stores and crowds and have used a delivery service for several years. It’s nice to have the groceries show up at the door.
I'm with you all on this one. Since March 1 of last year I haven't been in a grocery store. I've finally come to terms with the difficulty of shopping online; it's not like it was when I could walk up and down each aisle and browse. So I've learned to make a list, and check things off as I order them. It's taken a year to get me to do that with some amount of competency. All my groceries come in paper bags.

Now if only the grocery stores I buy from would keep their online options updated....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly