• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

great season underway - and can't get to it!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So just made the call to cancel our January trip; there's a new prime minister in Japan who has a hard-line approach to border closure, there's zero chance that they'll announce a border opening any time soon and we had to pay for the trip tomorrow.

Club Med have transferred our booking again, and thrown in a 10% discount on top, so very happy with their customer service, but bitterly disappointed overall.

Bring on NZ in August!
Omicron is really throwing a spanner in the works of many travel plans now :( I have some UK friends who are having to cancel January skiing trips in France because they've suddenly slammed the doors shut there as well. So sorry about the Japan trip! Hopefully better luck for January 2023 - and yes, hope to see you here in NZ in August 2022!! Fingers tightly crossed we're letting Aussies in again by then...

Jenny

Angel Diva
That's a bummer. I HATE when something I’m looking forward to doesn’t happen. Even if it's understandable.

Still hoping our friends from Scotland can still come to Diva West. No predicting what will happen between now and then.

newboots

Angel Diva
Don't come to the Catskills, NY, USA! Still awaiting decent snow. Central Vermont and north are better after one large-ish storm, but here we are looking at ice on ice, with rain today and warm temps until 1/3.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Don't come to the Catskills, NY, USA! Still awaiting decent snow. Central Vermont and north are better after one large-ish storm, but here we are looking at ice on ice, with rain today and warm temps until 1/3.

I went to Killington last week, and it was HORRIBLE (couldn’t believe the scraped off icy conditions on a relatively empty weekday..) compared to Loon in NH and Sunday River in Maine right now. Don’t get me wrong, we also need snow especially to get our naturals going.. but we have a lot more terrain and way better conditions in some areas versus others in the Northeast right now it seems. I just hope our luck continues, and that snow is on the way..

Yesterday we started the day feeling like lovely packed powder everywhere and then if you like to ski the edges you get the soft snow everyone scrapes down off of the middle making for soft fun lips and bumps. I skied from 8am-2:30pm straight yesterday and it was delightful the whole time. I only stopped because I really needed water (definitely been contemplating getting a new soft sided canteen to carry lately) and my legs were getting tired lapping those side lips. It’s good conditioning and practice for when the bump runs really get going, and fun.

newboots

Angel Diva
Good point! I should have said "Go north and east" from Central Vermont!

Jilly

Staff member
There a quite a few americans in Tremblant this week. Every plate from the eastern side including Florida!! We have nothing but ice and lots of snow making going on.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How peculiar! At the start of the season there was all this talk about how awesome this season was going to be; can't even live vicariously through you ladies.

Was seriously looking at doing a quick US trip as there were some good offers to LA via Fiji, however, just don't want to risk being stranded anywhere as airlines are cutting services big time; got a friend went to the UK to visit her mum and Cathay Pacific went and cancelled at flights into Australia for a month, it's just chaos everywhere!

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Omicron is really throwing a spanner in the works of many travel plans now :( I have some UK friends who are having to cancel January skiing trips in France because they've suddenly slammed the doors shut there as well. So sorry about the Japan trip! Hopefully better luck for January 2023 - and yes, hope to see you here in NZ in August 2022!! Fingers tightly crossed we're letting Aussies in again by then...
I think Aunty Jacinda is saying April for everything open at this point? She pushed back entry for us a month but that won't affect us (I hope!)

Didn't realise France had done that, I attended an online conference from their ski industry saying how much they were looking forwards to opening up finally.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a bummer. I HATE when something I’m looking forward to doesn’t happen. Even if it's understandable.

Still hoping our friends from Scotland can still come to Diva West. No predicting what will happen between now and then.
Yeah, the main issue was (and is) we haven't had communication about what the go is with borders - it's all rumours and hearsay. We have borders creaking open, then slammed shut, talk of "some time in the future" with no dates set, sales from airlines confident of opening up the route, and cancellations. I can deal if we get told that there's a date for opening, even if it means we had to cancel anyway - it was the uncertainty and holding out a vague hope that was killing me.

marzNC

Angel Diva
How peculiar! At the start of the season there was all this talk about how awesome this season was going to be; can't even live vicariously through you ladies.
Remember it's still early season in N. America. My ski buddies and I had a great time a couple weeks ago . . . in southeast Colorado. We were at Wolf Creek, which was the only ski area in that region that was 100% open. After the most recent storm cycle, the snow totals are as much above the average for late December as they were below average in early December.

The problem in Tahoe is too much snow at the moment. Roads will be difficult for a while.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Didn't realise France had done that, I attended an online conference from their ski industry saying how much they were looking forwards to opening up finally.
There are a few Aussies having a good time skiing in the Alps at the moment. A couple families are having fun trip report threads in progress. One had the advantage of being ex-pats living in Singapore. I've never skied in Europe so find the details fascinating.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Friends of ours have just left NZ for France (ok they do have residency there) and they have plans to travel to many other places for business etc. They said that to travel anywhere at the moment your plans must be fluid and to prepared for it all to go pear shaped at any moment and brace yourselves for many hiccups along the way. We would love to be able to travel again but aren't prepared to take the risk at this stage so our local fields will have to suffice for at least the next year or so ..... PS we have friends in Tahoe who are currently like the preverbial "pigs in s@#t" :thumbsup:

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Urgh. And the saga continues. According to the plan just released by the NZ government, we can travel to NZ from July, BUT have to do 10 days quarantine, open access from October. That'll rule out the ski season for many overseas visitors.

Unless there's some serious change in plans in the next couple of weeks might just see if we can postpone for a third year and hope there's some decent falls in NSW this year instead. Hopefully they'll extend flight credits again.

Skidreamer

Certified Ski Diva
The whole NZ thing is very complicated and confusing atm, isn't it. We've committed to season tickets at Perisher this year, gosh I hope something comes of it, I really do miss it so badly. I haven't skiied since 2019, not sure I can remember how. I've finished up in the job of my dreams on Friday and start back with my old one tomorrow, and the sole reason for this, including taking a pay cut, is so that I can work in a section where I can get the summer and winter holidays I want. So bring on some skiing, I'm praying to the weather and the non-Covid gods...

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The whole NZ thing is very complicated and confusing atm, isn't it. We've committed to season tickets at Perisher this year, gosh I hope something comes of it, I really do miss it so badly. I haven't skiied since 2019, not sure I can remember how. I've finished up in the job of my dreams on Friday and start back with my old one tomorrow, and the sole reason for this, including taking a pay cut, is so that I can work in a section where I can get the summer and winter holidays I want. So bring on some skiing, I'm praying to the weather and the non-Covid gods...
I know, right? However, industry person I know said word on the ground is that the NZ government is likely to re-asses the situation in May. Did you end up getting an Epic pass for Perisher? I'm costing it as accommodation in Jindabyne is pretty cheap at the moment, but can't see shorter passes than the season one being advertised yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly