• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Grand Targhee

2bjenny

Certified Ski Diva
Conditions at GT were excellent last week both off and on-piste, though you still had to watch out for some rocks off-piste, especially off of Sacajewea lift. Glades off of the Blackfoot lift were great, it seems like folks tend to stay away from that area since it is a slow double chair. It does not seem to get tracked out as fast. Tetons are getting hammered starting today (already reporting over 8") and looks like the heavier snow amounts could be on the Idaho side according to Teton Snow Info. Grand Targhee should be fantastic with this latest storm cycle.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have seen some amazing pics of cat skiing at GT from an early season trip. Totally jealous!

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone know if it's snowed at GT yet? There is a small chance I'll stop by on the way to Montana in February.

We got our usual early October snow, but most of it has melted already because this past week was warm. The snow won't start really accumulating until next month. There will be plenty by February, though! Let me know if you decide to stop by. :smile:

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Conditions update:
I skinned up Grand Targhee with my husband yesterday, and skied down. Yesterday was the last day that uphill traffic was allowed, and starting today they are preparing for opening day on Friday. It was quite cold, and they were doing some snowmaking at the base. They have already started grooming everything that gets groomed. We went up Big Horn>Wild Turkey>Rock Garden>to the very top boundary to see the view, and then down from the top boundary to Headwall>Fallen Timber(you have to be careful here early season-we didn't hit anything)>Funnel>Upper Exhibition and then back down the bottom of Big Horn. Everything off-piste was tracked already, but there were still plenty of powder stashes. The upper half of the mountain was soft, and the lower half got progressively crustier. The base depth is currently 26" and you do have to watch out for rocks, logs, bushes, etc. Here are a few photos from the day:

save-new (1).JPG
My husband skinning up. It was a very cold but sunny day with amazing clouds.

save-new (3).JPG
One more skinning up. This was a lot steeper than it looks!

save-new (2).JPG
I made it to the top!

save-new (4).JPG
Some more of the view from the summit. The high peaks of the Tetons were peeking through the clouds.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Conditions update:
I skinned up Grand Targhee with my husband yesterday, and skied down. Yesterday was the last day that uphill traffic was allowed, and starting today they are preparing for opening day on Friday. It was quite cold, and they were doing some snowmaking at the base. They have already started grooming everything that gets groomed. We went up Big Horn>Wild Turkey>Rock Garden>to the very top boundary to see the view, and then down from the top boundary to Headwall>Fallen Timber(you have to be careful here early season-we didn't hit anything)>Funnel>Upper Exhibition and then back down the bottom of Big Horn. Everything off-piste was tracked already, but there were still plenty of powder stashes. The upper half of the mountain was soft, and the lower half got progressively crustier. The base depth is currently 26" and you do have to watch out for rocks, logs, bushes, etc. Here are a few photos from the day:

View attachment 9553

View attachment 9554

View attachment 9555
I made it to the top!

View attachment 9556
Some more of the view from the summit. The high peaks of the Tetons were peeking through the clouds.
Oh, I'm so excited to be heading up there for opening weekend! Not nearly as much snow as last year on opening weekend, but, it's skiing and on mostly natural snow. Thanks for the great report!

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I'm so excited to be heading up there for opening weekend! Not nearly as much snow as last year on opening weekend, but, it's skiing and on mostly natural snow. Thanks for the great report!
Glad you enjoyed it! And yes, they usually have more snow for opening, but the coverage was better than I thought it would be. I had to ski slower than usual to watch for hazards, but didn't hit anything on the way down. The terrain has more gullies that aren't filled in yet and less smooth transitions than later in the season, but this is a pretty early opening day.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My very first out of state trip in 1983 was to Grand Targhee. Magical place!

abyington

Diva in Training
Conditions update:

View attachment 9553

View attachment 9554

View attachment 9555
I made it to the top!

View attachment 9556

Beautiful pictures, looks like fun!
Glad you enjoyed it! And yes, they usually have more snow for opening, but the coverage was better than I thought it would be. I had to ski slower than usual to watch for hazards, but didn't hit anything on the way down. The terrain has more gullies that aren't filled in yet and less smooth transitions than later in the season, but this is a pretty early opening day.

The powder was amazing this last weekend and more of the rocks were covered, compared to opening day. Looking forward to more powder days!

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Conditions update:

View attachment 9553

View attachment 9554

View attachment 9555
I made it to the top!

View attachment 9556
I'm going in March and seeing these pictures fills with me such an excitement that I can't even begin to put it into words. OMG. I want to throw up I'm so excited!!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heading up today! Lots of snow forecast, and I'm frankly not sad to get away from the hoardes that will be taking over my home mountain. Cannot wait!

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heading up today! Lots of snow forecast, and I'm frankly not sad to get away from the hoardes that will be taking over my home mountain. Cannot wait!
I added Alta, WY to my Wunderground forecast so I can keep checking. I'm counting down the days. I'd love to hear how it is!!

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I added Alta, WY to my Wunderground forecast so I can keep checking. I'm counting down the days. I'd love to hear how it is!!
Conditions overall here have been a bit firmer and less snowy than usual so far, but that seems to be turning around this weekend. Fingers crossed it stays that way! (We had an inversion and a couple of sunny days last weekend that baked a solid crust onto the mountain, but it’s mostly covered up with new snow now.) Still lots of fun and plenty of base depth though. The past two days the mountain has really shown why it is nicknamed Grand Foghee.

324DCA99-E6A5-4A57-8CE7-F71396D5C981.jpeg

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Conditions overall here have been a bit firmer and less snowy than usual so far, but that seems to be turning around this weekend. Fingers crossed it stays that way! (We had an inversion and a couple of sunny days last weekend that baked a solid crust onto the mountain, but it’s mostly covered up with new snow now.) Still lots of fun and plenty of base depth though. The past two days the mountain has really shown why it is nicknamed Grand Foghee.

View attachment 10023
That’s a beautiful picture! Somewhat eerie too!

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Current conditions at Grand Targhee: deep and fluffy! And cold enough for it to stay that way. This was taken yesterday after 14 inches fell within 24 hours (ski patrol told us it was more like 16 total):

View attachment 10343
OMG! I am dreaming of our vacation to GT coming up. Literally every night! I just picked up some fat skis (Black Crows Atris Birdie-108s). I probably look like a weirdo riding them on groomers but I need my practice on them because they're longer. Do you think conditions will still be this great the first week of March?

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you think conditions will still be this great the first week of March?
Possibly! Last year the first Monday of March we got 30 inches. I was skiing alone that day and it was so deep that I was wearing my backcountry beacon and backpack with shovel (and almost needed to use the shovel!). The mountain was a sea of disembodied torsos searching for lost skis that day. I managed to keep mine attached and had tons of fun. Fingers crossed it happens again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna