• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got a quote for some plumbing work in my house, and I am in shock

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The guest bath in my new house is kind of atrocious and I've been fantasizing about renovating it for a while. I had a contractor come do a consult. I want to have a new tub installed, and have the shower head height raised (basically extend the piping in the wall.) The old tub is plastic and I plan to demo that myself, which I explained to him. I'm also going to buy the new tub and do the tile surround myself. So all they would have to do is install the new tub and do a small amount of plumbing in the wall, which would be exposed. The price they offered was almost $3200. Raising the shower head height alone was close to $1000. This is not at all what I was expecting, but maybe my expectations are unrealistic. Can anyone weigh in? Is this reasonable?? In the meantime, I'm trying to gather a couple more quotes.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, get at least three quotes. I will say that plumbing supplies are expensive now as are all of the trade supplies. Just take a look at lumber!!!
And for plumbing you DO NOT want Box store products that purport to be the same as what suppliers to a specific trade can get. They ARE NOT the same internally. The model number may be just what Home Depot is offering, but the warranty and internal mechanisms are made for box stores. This is also why parts may be quoted higher than what you'd hoped.
I used to be a designer.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ll third the rec against big box internals valves and such. We cannot even get people to show up to give an estimate for our project. All the trades are so covered up right now. My vote would be to wait if you don’t get an estimate you like. Whenever I have done that we end up with a friend of a friend knows someone and it works out even if I have to be a little patient.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I can tell you we’ve done work in our home, and after a few experiments, I’m a solid Kohler backer. I have a friend who is a builder and he also loves their stuff.

The premium is worth it.
I have Kohler tub and toilet.....

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Our basement toilet is similar. It’s about a year old, no complaints.

I cannot say enough good things about the Kohler toilets in our home. We have one that’s probably over 50 years old. And one that is almost new. Fantastic. We also have a 10 year old Toyo (?) toilet that SUCKS. I hate it. And now that it is 10, we’re going to replace it this year, so that my husband doesn’t have to hear me complain about a toilet.

Yes, I can go on this much about toilets. :bag:

Jilly

Staff member
Great, I'm looking for a new toilet too! I'm away the first week of December, so the guys are coming to re-do the floor (which is sitting in the bedroom), replace the toilet, since it has to come up anyways. And if I can get a new vanity replace it, or at least the top.

I know as soon has they move the vanity, the tiles will need to come off. They're careful, but I know it's not going to be good.

This is the master on-suite.

I looked at vanities and most of the stuff at the box stores looks worst that Ikea.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Our basement toilet is similar. It’s about a year old, no complaints.

I cannot say enough good things about the Kohler toilets in our home. We have one that’s probably over 50 years old. And one that is almost new. Fantastic. We also have a 10 year old Toyo (?) toilet that SUCKS. I hate it. And now that it is 10, we’re going to replace it this year, so that my husband doesn’t have to hear me complain about a toilet.

Yes, I can go on this much about toilets. :bag:

Love it!

I’ve been hesitant because reviews seemed good and then took a turn for the worse the last year or so for quality issues. On this model in particular some people are getting lids that have an unglazed side that shows etc. Though it does look like they replace it if that happens because it’s a known issue. Just made me wary of whether quality has taken a nosedive overall due to supply chain issues.

Really like the Santa Rosa idea though. This is to replace a really old toilet in the ski condo I bought. It’s either that or all of the seals/insides need to be replaced for it, and I’d rather just start fresh than fix up an almost 40 year old toilet. The space is small and this model is a compact elongated which only sticks out as much as a round. Major bonus because the current toilet there is gargantuan. Also like the one piece as I’m in the top two floors in the building so thinking better to have less gaskets for leak potential down the road. Seems like the best option I’ve found, and I have looked TOO MUCH at toilets the last few weeks lol. Have just been a little iffy to pull the trigger due to those reviews though. Also haven’t been in a huge rush because I’m trying to find tile I like to replace the floor at the same time, and that’s been horrible! Everything I like only comes in huge sizes it seems and the space is too small for that imo. Everything is 12x24 or larger in stores I go to.. I just want some darn 10x10 or 12x12 square options that aren’t boring contractor grade blah look/colors. It stinks when you really fall for a look and then see it doesn’t come in your size.

Sorry for the thread drift! :laughter:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
We were quoted something in the $800 - $1000 range to put the showerhead on the ceiling in the shower but this was in maybe 2017.

Hired an electrician this past summer and it took 3 or 4 tries to find one who would reliably return my messages. It's pretty nuts right now.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ski buddy and his wife have those fancy Japanese Toto models in their home. Over the top in my opinion. They have bells and whistles that require a touch screen panel to operate, and the darn things just get ugly with all the extras. I find that if you need all that personal hygiene assistance then maybe you have too much potty time on your hands.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just replace the lid with a heated seat...I highly recommend it. :becky:

Haha that's the seat though right?? I do like the idea of a heated seat in the winter!

The lid in this case is to the tank of the toilet. The unglazed piece is across the front bottom of it and sits in such a way that if it's unglazed you have a yellowish dirty looking rough line going accross the toilet with the lid on. An unwelcome surprised for sure for those who got it on a semi pricey toilet. Though Kohler does replace, just not sure how easy or annoying that would be. They are also always seemingly out of stock in stores around me which means if I order it in it's harder to check for that defect before purchasing and probably have to accept there's a chance it would come that way.

elemmac

Angel Diva
My ski buddy and his wife have those fancy Japanese Toto models in their home. Over the top in my opinion.
haha! Yea, the full Toto Japanese style toilets are pretty intense. We have a pretty simple 3-heat setting for the seat, it does have a light as well, that I have found odd...but you don't have to use that. The

The lid in this case is to the tank of the toilet. The unglazed piece is across the front bottom of it and sits in such a way that if it's unglazed you have a yellowish dirty looking rough line going accross the toilet with the lid on. An unwelcome surprised for sure for those who got it on a semi pricey toilet.
Oh! I misunderstood. Bummer. I'd agree for a semi-pricey toilet...that shouldn't happen.

We've been happy with our Kohler Elmbrook, which I had our plumber/contractor pick out when we did a full remodel in the spring. I'm glad I just gave that decision to him cause I would have gone down the wormhole of research.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m a Toto fan, but don’t have one of the electronic ones. What I look for mostly though is 1 piece and covered trap-way. We do have a less expensive American Standard in a powder room that also fits the bill.

As far as showers go, I’m a fan of thermostatic valves that are exterior to the wall. (Hansgrohe etc.). If the cartridge needs changing it’s a diy job. Nothing that will disturb the tile wAnd the temp is always set just right. The one we have has a larger fixed shower head and a hand spray.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and if you’re replacing a toilet, make sure to check if you have a 10” or 12” rough in. If you’re changing up plumbing anyhow and like space saving and easy to clean, take a look at wall hung units.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
My ski buddy and his wife have those fancy Japanese Toto models in their home. Over the top in my opinion. They have bells and whistles that require a touch screen panel to operate, and the darn things just get ugly with all the extras. I find that if you need all that personal hygiene assistance then maybe you have too much potty time on your hands.

A screen on a toilet does seem like overkill, but we happened to take our trip to Japan a few years ago right near the end of my period, and fancy toilets are revolutionary for "I made the wrong pad / tampon choice" hygiene. Total game changer.

Jilly

Staff member
Just replace the lid with a heated seat...I highly recommend it. :becky:

I've heard about these. I just want a toilet that doesn't grow mold in 2 days!! Good thing I buy my toilet bowl cleaner by the case at Costco.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I have used the fancy Japanese Totos and they are amazing.
@RachelV - yes, same, violently agree - and the term violent seemed about right at the time, too.

With 2 kids at home, I love soft close and easy off seats. At least monthly, I pop the seats off, throw them in the relevant tub, spray the f*** out of them with disinfectant and rinse in 10 minutes.

(I do this before the cleaning lady comes, so that I’m not embarrassed by my disgusting spawn)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly