• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got a quote for some plumbing work in my house, and I am in shock

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and if you’re replacing a toilet, make sure to check if you have a 10” or 12” rough in. If you’re changing up plumbing anyhow and like space saving and easy to clean, take a look at wall hung units.

Those wall hung units definitely look cool, but I wonder what happens when there's an issue with the flush mechanism! Some of them look pretty minimalist, which makes me think all the parts are inside the wall. My worst fear would be having it fall down off the wall when in use :rotf:

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were quoted something in the $800 - $1000 range to put the showerhead on the ceiling in the shower but this was in maybe 2017.

Hired an electrician this past summer and it took 3 or 4 tries to find one who would reliably return my messages. It's pretty nuts right now.
yeah, I'm having a hard time getting a call back from some places, and others have told me my job is too small. I also wonder if I'm kind of an outlier here, trying to have part of the remodel hired out, while doing the rest myself. Do more people do one or the other - either 100% DIY or 100% contracted out?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
FWIW, we actually have a remodeler in our area who does hybrid remodels where the owner does some DIY. I am fairly handy but do not like the amount of project management and people management required to DIY, so we do not do much ourselves. :smile:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those wall hung units definitely look cool, but I wonder what happens when there's an issue with the flush mechanism! Some of them look pretty minimalist, which makes me think all the parts are inside the wall. My worst fear would be having it fall down off the wall when in use :rotf:
These have a solid in wall frame that is bolted to the studs, and then the toilet gets bolted to that. It really is pretty sturdy. The tank is accessible through the front flush panel on the wall, I believe, and is usually a decently sized access panel. Not easy to quickly reach in and pull up the ball float if needed, but I don't think my parents (they live in Germany where these are common) have ever had that issue.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Cyclone6 I will have DH weigh in on this later today but having just "created" a new guest bathroom in our house I can tell you even using trades for cash and having DH do the demo/ plumbing/ electric / framing it was still a bit pricy despite him being in the business. I highly recommend spending $ on the valves and will get a recommend for brands.

I think the only way you will find cheaper is to find someone who is a part-timer or moonlighting .... when we did our ski condo master bath remodel we did similar to what you are doing (new tub/ moved water line) but with a plumber who came when he had time to work after his regular job, since it was shoulder season he could work at night with out bothering anyone. We also had him install a shut off valve in our unit to the main water line so we could work on the 2nd bathroom without having to shut the whole building off.

Anyone replacing toilets - check to see you have a rebate option with your water district. Replacing the 2 ski condo toilets = $400 which paid for 2 basic American Standard dual flush toilets.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Cyclone6 I will have DH weigh in on this later today but having just "created" a new guest bathroom in our house I can tell you even using trades for cash and having DH do the demo/ plumbing/ electric / framing it was still a bit pricy despite him being in the business. I highly recommend spending $ on the valves and will get a recommend for brands.

I think the only way you will find cheaper is to find someone who is a part-timer or moonlighting .... when we did our ski condo master bath remodel we did similar to what you are doing (new tub/ moved water line) but with a plumber who came when he had time to work after his regular job, since it was shoulder season he could work at night with out bothering anyone. We also had him install a shut off valve in our unit to the main water line so we could work on the 2nd bathroom without having to shut the whole building off.

Anyone replacing toilets - check to see you have a rebate option with your water district. Replacing the 2 ski condo toilets = $400 which paid for 2 basic American Standard dual flush toilets.
Thanks!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Cyclone6 so DH just txted his regular plumber who he uses to work on $$$$$ houses. Your quote to install new tub, install new valves and extend shower head was $1500. If its a cast iron tub it would be a bit more.
Do not use any valves from Box Stores. We used Hansgrohe valves for our recent remodel.

Was the scope of work set out in an estimate? Sounds like the plumber is either thinking the scope of work is bigger (including the valves etc), taking advantage of you, or doesn't want to do the job so he over quoted. If you had a contractor overseeing it you can add 15-20% on top of the quote, which would still be under $2K.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Cyclone6 so DH just txted his regular plumber who he uses to work on $$$$$ houses. Your quote to install new tub, install new valves and extend shower head was $1500. If its a cast iron tub it would be a bit more.
Do not use any valves from Box Stores. We used Hansgrohe valves for our recent remodel.

Was the scope of work set out in an estimate? Sounds like the plumber is either thinking the scope of work is bigger (including the valves etc), taking advantage of you, or doesn't want to do the job so he over quoted. If you had a contractor overseeing it you can add 15-20% on top of the quote, which would still be under $2K.
Thank you so much! This is encouraging, I will continue to shop around for someone else.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was able to find an estimate that was much more within my price range, but this all may be going on the backburner for now for a totally different reason :( All of the reputable tile backer board companies are fully out of stock and have been for months, which I didn't realize.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
? Not sure what you were looking to use --- HardieBacker Fiber Cement Water Resistant Backer Board is in plentiful stock - that with grey fiberglass tape and RedgGuard for waterproofing is what we used.
Are your walls straight? asked DH

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
? Not sure what you were looking to use --- HardieBacker Fiber Cement Water Resistant Backer Board is in plentiful stock - that with grey fiberglass tape and RedgGuard for waterproofing is what we used.
Are your walls straight? asked DH
I was hoping to use kerdi board or wedi board. Kerdi board is out of stock everywhere, wedi board seems to only be available by the pallet. My BF's dad used to build houses for a living and he told us not to use cement board because he doesn't believe it can truly be waterproofed. I'm still thinking it over. Cement board is also heavy.

I think our walls are fairly straight.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
..... he told us not to use cement board because he doesn't believe it can truly be waterproofed. I'm still thinking it over. Cement board is also heavy.
Cement board is heavy. Yes it can be waterproofed, that's what the Redguard is for.
This is what we just did in our added bathroom with a hot mop for the shower floor.
There are other options that are more expensive.... and time consuming.
What does the person you are working with suggest?

Last edited:

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cement board is heavy. Yes it can be waterproofed, that's what the Redguard is for.
This is what we just did in our added bathroom with a hot mop for the shower floor. There are other options that are more expensive.... and time consuming.
What does the person you are working with suggest?
I was planning to do the tile surround myself, but I can try to ask their advice. This company strictly does plumbing however.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ski buddy and his wife have those fancy Japanese Toto models in their home. Over the top in my opinion. They have bells and whistles that require a touch screen panel to operate, and the darn things just get ugly with all the extras. I find that if you need all that personal hygiene assistance then maybe you have too much potty time on your hands.
While I agree that touch screens on toilets are a step too far, I have to say that bidet-integrated toilets are amazing for menstrual hygiene.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also I'm not sure how long your BF's father has been retired, but there certainly has been improvement in products used for waterproofing.... you have a tub so you don't have to deal with hot mop/waterproofing a shower floor and the shower walls shouldn't get that much water.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also I'm not sure how long your BF's father has been retired, but there certainly has been improvement in products used for waterproofing.... you have a tub so you don't have to deal with hot mop/waterproofing a shower floor and the shower walls shouldn't get that much water.
That is true, it's not like a shower floor.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was able to find an estimate that was much more within my price range, but this all may be going on the backburner for now for a totally different reason :( All of the reputable tile backer board companies are fully out of stock and have been for months, which I didn't realize.

Such is the case. I know you're DIYing it, but I held off reaching out to design/build companies for the remodel of a small bathroom first because of COVID (I moved in 9/20) and now because of supply chain. I really don't think my remodel should take more than a week if all the supplies and subs are lined up, but my fear is a drafty subfloor in the middle of winter because of tile not being available. Good luck to you!!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was hoping to use kerdi board or wedi board. Kerdi board is out of stock everywhere, wedi board seems to only be available by the pallet. My BF's dad used to build houses for a living and he told us not to use cement board because he doesn't believe it can truly be waterproofed. I'm still thinking it over. Cement board is also heavy.

I think our walls are fairly straight.
I’ve done redguard over cement backer in two houses, kerdi membrane over water resistant drywall in our current house. I haven’t had problems with either. With the redguard I went overkill and painted on an extra layer since there was plenty in the bucket.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
As for cost, assuming your plumber is skilled and reliable.... you are going to pay for a skilled trades(person) Very few people are going into trades like electrical and plumbing. The training and apprenticeship are extensive. A good person will be in demand hence the wait and cost. Trust me, you don't want Craigslist cheapest/the low bid person doing this work at your house.

A screen on a toilet does seem like overkill, but we happened to take our trip to Japan a few years ago right near the end of my period, and fancy toilets are revolutionary for "I made the wrong pad / tampon choice" hygiene. Total game changer.
Good point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly