• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got a quote for some plumbing work in my house, and I am in shock

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@Cyclone6 - the smaller the job, the more premium the price. Getting anyone to even come quote for a small job is super tough these days. I work for a design and build firm and quotes for plumbing, electricity, etc. are definitely at a premium even for larger projects.

We need some repair done to our patio, finally got someone out to look at it, and they never even bothered to send a quote. They were the only ones we could even get to come - looks like my husband will be doing the work!

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As for cost, assuming your plumber is skilled and reliable.... you are going to pay for a skilled trades(person) Very few people are going into trades like electrical and plumbing. The training and apprenticeship are extensive. A good person will be in demand hence the wait and cost. Trust me, you don't want Craigslist cheapest/the low bid person doing this work at your house.
I found a legit plumbing company who gave me an estimate that was 2/3 of the original quote. They're well-known and have great reviews. I think this is probably as good as it's going to get!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@diymom and @Cyclone6 does the Kerdi board smell? I know the Redguard is pretty smelly..... debating condo shower remodel choices.....

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My vet said she had some plumbing work done and it was so expensive she realized she was undercharging as a vet. I then got a notice they were raising their rates. A few months later my dog had a dental with her, and it was $1,300. The same procedure had cost me $800 in 2020...:rolleyes:

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
By the way, here are the before and after photos!
1654631298179.png

We also got the master bath redone too. I admit, I did not do the tile on this one. I just did not trust myself to do the shower pan well, and I saw in some youtube videos just how bad that can go if it's not perfect! Also, I would have had to haul buckets of thinset and grout over a carpeted area, and I know me, it would have ended up in the carpet somehow. Paint, toilet, shower fixtures, shower door, and shelves behind the toilet were all DIY. I also moved the vanity over a few inches and had to rebuild the trap as a result. I am not sure why the previous owners had it in that position - there was a 4-5" gap between the vanity and the wall, and little things loved to fall down there. Now it's butted up to the wall. I hired the same plumber to do the plumbing work for the shower, and hired a local tile/flooring company I have used in the past to do the tile.

PXL_20220325_210706984.jpgPXL_20220528_224709546.jpg

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I cannot believe it. Your master layout, @Cyclone6 is the EXACT layout of my master, including door, window, everything. Mine needs redoing, btw. I'm going to screenshot your pic. I want the same "barn wood look" tile for the floor. :smile:

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I cannot believe it. Your master layout, @Cyclone6 is the EXACT layout of my master, including door, window, everything. Mine needs redoing, btw. I'm going to screenshot your pic. I want the same "barn wood look" tile for the floor. :smile:
That's really funny! When was your house built? Ours was built in 1980. I still have my zillow alert set up and sometimes I look to see how the market is doing. Incidentally, I found a house for sale in the next town over that is the mirror image of ours. Same exact layout, just reversed.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My dad always said to make sure you are good friends with a plumber and a lawyer. I'll add electrician to that list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly