• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

kiki

Angel Diva
How's is going, golf divas? Third week in a row of getting rained out for my league, but at least tonight I got 4 holes in before lightning sent us all back to the clubhouse. (We did get rainchecks for all 3 weeks, so I will still get to golf eventually!)

I was really bummed to have tonight canceled because I took a lesson Sunday and am eager to keep working on applying the tweaks from the instructor. She made some changes to my grip and stance, and the rewiring process is hard. Plus I have a work golf outing on Friday where I am golfing in a foursome with my CEO and wanted the practice tonight!

How is everything going with everyone else's golf season?
How did the work outing go @Knitjenious ?

kiki

Angel Diva
Golf season continues, weekly lessons are at least a nice outing, even if improvement is questionable some days lol!. My handicap has gone down, not sure if that’s just my playing or the new calculation formulas. Drought conditions mean we get a lot of roll which is great for distance on fairway shots but makes chipping on to the green a true challenge. The drought and fires seem to have pushed the wildlife down to us from the mountains and each round of gold involves a combo of bears and deer. Have invested in a new bear horn. 2041C342-603C-4040-A302-8032467C8A2E.jpeg

MissySki

Angel Diva
My class was cancelled again just now because of rain.. ugh!

The worst part is that I lost my mind and signed up for my company's annual tournament, and could use all the practice I can get. The weather has just been so uncooperative! The tournament is best ball style, and says it's open to all levels.. but would you guys enter something like this when you are still so inconsistent and some days just can't get anything to happen? It's not until the end of August, so I still have time to back out (and very well may!) haha.

This is literally the reason I started golfing though, because I went to the golf outing last year and just did the beginner clinic since I couldn't play at all. I also wouldn't mind joining the company league when I'm better. So do I jump in head first, or wait another year?? :smile:

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
The worst part is that I lost my mind and signed up for my company's annual tournament, and could use all the practice I can get. The weather has just been so uncooperative! The tournament is best ball style, and says it's open to all levels.. but would you guys enter something like this when you are still so inconsistent and some days just can't get anything to happen? It's not until the end of August, so I still have time to back out (and very well may!) haha.

This is literally the reason I started golfing though, because I went to the golf outing last year and just did the beginner clinic since I couldn't play at all. I also wouldn't mind joining the company league when I'm better. So do I jump in head first, or wait another year?? :smile:
Go play!

I played in a best ball tournament after only playing golf for a few months. I also had in mind the fact that my company had an annual best ball tournament when I decided to take some lessons.

The office my company had in Southern California happened to have their tournament when I was going to be visiting. I was there with my husband who was attending a professional conference. What I wanted to do was get to know a few of the people at that office a bit better so it was perfect timing.

The course was gorgeous. It had pretty narrow fairways with deep brush on the sides. I was playing on a team a colleague who I'd "met" a year before when we were on a project team together. He'd played in high school but very little since. He was using his high school clubs. The other two men were older and better golfers, but not that great. Since I tee'd off from the Ladies Tee, my shot to the fairway was a LOT easier. The men kept trying too hard and were losing balls left and right. I was just making sure I met the ball so my tee shots weren't going far, but they were in the middle of the fairway. We played my tee shot for 7 out of the first 9 holes. :-)

I got pretty tired on the second 9, so wasn't really worrying about the long shots. I think on the last few holes I didn't bother to do anything but putt. I think the guys were a little disappointed I couldn't keep up the tee shots, but overall we had a good time.

Jenny

Angel Diva

Go for it. Best ball is fun, because you get to hit from places you’d never get to yourself, and if they use ladies’ tees, sometimes there's a huge advantage.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Go play!

I played in a best ball tournament after only playing golf for a few months. I also had in mind the fact that my company had an annual best ball tournament when I decided to take some lessons.

The office my company had in Southern California happened to have their tournament when I was going to be visiting. I was there with my husband who was attending a professional conference. What I wanted to do was get to know a few of the people at that office a bit better so it was perfect timing.

The course was gorgeous. It had pretty narrow fairways with deep brush on the sides. I was playing on a team a colleague who I'd "met" a year before when we were on a project team together. He'd played in high school but very little since. He was using his high school clubs. The other two men were older and better golfers, but not that great. Since I tee'd off from the Ladies Tee, my shot to the fairway was a LOT easier. The men kept trying too hard and were losing balls left and right. I was just making sure I met the ball so my tee shots weren't going far, but they were in the middle of the fairway. We played my tee shot for 7 out of the first 9 holes. :-)

I got pretty tired on the second 9, so wasn't really worrying about the long shots. I think on the last few holes I didn't bother to do anything but putt. I think the guys were a little disappointed I couldn't keep up the tee shots, but overall we had a good time.

This is great to hear, thanks!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Go for it. Best ball is fun, because you get to hit from places you’d never get to yourself, and if they use ladies’ tees, sometimes there's a huge advantage.

We play best ball twice per month for a few holes as part of the group lessons I'm doing. I really like that format, there's a lot less pressure and it keeps things moving. Most of the time I stink on the long game, but end up helping on the short. There was only one week where I somehow played amazing (for me) and seemed to have the best ball on every drive. I have no idea how that happened or how to make it happen again!!! I want it to happen for the tournament, but fear I'll more likely make a fool of myself instead lol.

If it weren't best ball I wouldn't even have thought of joining in lol. I want there to be enough experience on the team that I can hopefully help somewhere but not hinder the team somehow.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

it seems as though the Mass Pike corridor has been nailed week after week after week!

MissySki

Angel Diva
it seems as though the Mass Pike corridor has been nailed week after week after week!

It has indeed.. Driving me quite batty at this point! I mean luckily there have been some breaks the last couple of weeks unlike the majority of the first half of the month, but July overall has been absolutely horrible weather wise. Here's hoping that August turns things around!

I'm going to an outdoors concert in East Providence Sunday night, and it's calling for a potential of rain. I don't even care though, I will be there in the rain assuming no cancellation. It's the first good live music I will have been to in around 2 years, I'm not missing it! lol

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It has indeed.. Driving me quite batty at this point! I mean luckily there have been some breaks the last couple of weeks unlike the majority of the first half of the month, but July overall has been absolutely horrible weather wise. Here's hoping that August turns things around!

I'm going to an outdoors concert in East Providence Sunday night, and it's calling for a potential of rain. I don't even care though, I will be there in the rain assuming no cancellation. It's the first good live music I will have been to in around 2 years, I'm not missing it! lol

Storms on my racing nights have been hit or miss but we have canceled. But by and large it’s been scary compared to most years here. About a week ago I can say there was one bolt of lightning that hit less than an eighth of a mile from my house which was loud enough and bright enough that the cat and I both jumped away from the windows!

Good luck on the concert in East Providence! I just bought myself a ticket for Elvis Costello. But that’s indoors!

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
@MissySki totally do the best ball tournament. For real.

I am still a very inconsistent golfer and did that best ball outing last Friday, golfing with my CEO (who is soon to be my new boss because I got a promotion 2 days before the tournament and now will report directly to him) and I was thrilled that my ball was best maybe 4 times and the rest of the time I was all over the place. And it was a gorgeous day for golf and an absolute blast.

I am a terrible putter, so our foursome strategized that I should always be the first to putt in best ball because then the better putters could evaluate the lie based on my putt that was probably never going to go in anyway. LOL. It was an effective strategy!

So, maintain a sense of humor about yourself, set some modest goals (eg. Your ball is best once for the day!) and get out there and have fun.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IMO, the decision to play in the tournament should be based on "Do Unto Others".

Let's say, instead of golf, it was a company-hosted ski day. Some would encourage others, including beginners, to participate and hope to share with them the joy of skiing and the camaraderie. They might forgo steeps, trees, and moguls and spend their time on green and blue trails with less skilled skiers. If that's how you would feel, yes, you should play in the tournament.

For that same ski day, some others would hope their day didn't get impacted by lesser skiers -- you know, needing help, or falling down and having difficulty getting up, or creating longer lift lines, or expecting them to ski with them for a few runs. Those who would feel that way have no business participating in that golf tournament until their skills are equal to the other team members.

For the golf tournament, just be true to your heart and Do Unto Others.

If you decide to play in the tournament, you could prepare by focusing your practice on just a couple of aspects of your game. If putting or chipping or 100-yard distances are your strength, get even better at them. Make that the areas where you can really contribute. As a first-year golfer, you're not going to have the whole package. Focusing on your strengths will allow you to contribute more that day and also build your confidence as you expand the breadth of your golf skills.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If you decide to play in the tournament, you could prepare by focusing your practice on just a couple of aspects of your game. If putting or chipping or 100-yard distances are your strength, get even better at them. Make that the areas where you can really contribute. As a first-year golfer, you're not going to have the whole package. Focusing on your strengths will allow you to contribute more that day and also build your confidence as you expand the breadth of your golf skills.
Being a good sport and cheerleader is also a good way to contribute to a team. As Simon Biles has shown this week.

For me, being a beginner made it easy to participate since I had no expectations. If I had one good shot per hole, whether it got used or not, then I was more than happy.

altagirl

Staff member
Definitely do it! Those events are usually very fun.. and if they said all levels, go for it. It's a nice laid back way to play!

I guess that's based on my experiences where even I've done those that there were guys on my team who had only swung a club a few times so... I wasn't even close to being the weak link and should have been.

Anyway if an invite is for all levels I assume that's what's meant.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So Tuesday is my company golf tournament. I'm still nervous, but I've spoken to a couple of the other beginners and they don't seem to have a lot more experience than me. I also noticed that they weren't as worried about embarrassing themselves as I am, and they're men. Why do we always put so much pressure on ourselves as women? The one thing I AM worried about came after reading the rules. It's best ball, but each player on the team must use their drive as best ball at least once in the 9 holes. I know this one is going to be a challenge for me, I am so hit and miss with my driving and haven't gotten to practice much without my driver recently.

Given the fact that a hurricane is potentially bearing down on us Sunday/Monday, I'm hoping things aren't wrecked for Tuesday. Certainly the potential for lots of rain/flooding/wind and power outages, so we'll see. The crappy part is that my lesson was cancelled yet again due to rain yesterday. Also, Callaway has my driver so I don't have one for Tuesday. Luckily my instructor said I can pick up one to borrow from them, but we'll see if my Monday course class happens / the course opens. He said he had a Big Bertha REVA 12.5 loft I can take, which at least sounds like a way better driver than my own based on the price when I looked it up. A new one costs about as much as my whole beginner set of clubs lol.

This past Tuesday I did get out to a little par 3 course with another woman from my class which was really fun and have been hitting balls in my yard with net. Hoping I at least feel somewhat comfortable for the tournament, but sure wish so many lessons hadn't been getting cancelled due to weather!

altagirl

Staff member
Keep in mind that there are usually some shorter holes and don't try to drive farther than your comfort zone. And don't use your driver if it's not working for you. They're better off with anything in the fairway from your forward tee than on the last hole having to use something that went off in the woods. If you have one that's reasonable early on - speak up and say hey we may want to use this one now.

But overall relax and have fun!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Keep in mind that there are usually some shorter holes and don't try to drive farther than your comfort zone. And don't use your driver if it's not working for you. They're better off with anything in the fairway from your forward tee than on the last hole having to use something that went off in the woods. If you have one that's reasonable early on - speak up and say hey we may want to use this one now.

But overall relax and have fun!

I think this is definitely the way to go. If I tee off especially well on a hole, for me, then I’ll be sure to point that out!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well.. here's another example of the differences with men and women putting themselves out there.

Today I mentioned to the other beginner on my team for tomorrow's tournament that I'm very new and not very good. You know, setting expectations and hoping these folks aren't too competitive. Well he responds that I have nothing to worry about because he has literally played golf twice in his life and the last time was when he was around 10 years old.

So to recap, I've been at least doing lessons all summer (when not cancelled from rain like yet again today..) and have played some real holes of golf along with a par 3 course last week and yet I still feel like I have no right to have signed up for this thing. While a man has WAY less experience, just joined my company a few weeks ago (I literally have a meeting tomorrow morning to do an intro to each other and then found out we are on the same team), and he signs up no problem. This isn't saying anything bad about him, but it sure does show how much more pressure I put on myself for no reason. Why do I do that?? And more systemically because you know we do it for other things as well, why do we do this??

MissySki

Angel Diva
I picked up my loaner driver today. Expected it’d be older and used.. nope, brand new with shrink wrap still on the clubhead! Now I’m totally nervous I’m going to hurt this club that is worth more than my whole starter set combined lol. Wish it weren’t raining so I could practice with it a bit right now. It definitely feels nice! Hope it helps me out tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly