• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I played today with a new group of ladies. I think they'll be very enjoyable to play with (plan on weekly nine holes) - don't take it too seriously, not all of them terribly good (ie not a whole lot better than I am!), just out for fun and some exercise. It was a glorious day - sun and enough breeze to keep the bugs away.

I've been practising a bit, in my friend's big yard (and him giving tips) and a couple of times at the driving range. I might be getting the tiniest bit better, in terms of being more consistent. I know I'll never be a long hitter. It was most humbling at the driving range to see clearly how (not) far I hit! But I'll just hope for straight and, as I said before, more consistency. I've decided my goal is to get to the green in par, then, ideally, two putt. I did fairly well in getting to the green (met my goal on maybe five of the nine holes and on a par three was thrilled to get there in two) but my putting today was pathetic. Perhaps I can only focus on one aspect of the game at a time.

Anyway, it's fun and a challenge. Perhaps we'll have a Diva golf gathering some day.

kiki

Angel Diva
Have been getting my steps and working on losing my extra pounds by getting out in the course. My lessons seem to be paying off as my handicap dropped from 41 to 35 after a number of good rounds, but my wrists and back are sore—completely different muscles and body use than skiing, Urg!
a couple photos from sunsets (I’ve mainly been playing in the evenings after work)
ABED5791-0104-4718-B247-09397AEC1291.jpeg

Attachments

• F58A7ABE-85A6-4DB4-A83B-BAA08D08898F.jpeg
    F58A7ABE-85A6-4DB4-A83B-BAA08D08898F.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 3

Jilly

Staff member
Golf courses opened today in Ontario. Comment was made that it was just as hard to book a tee off time as is was to get a vaccine time/shot!!

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Golf diva super pep talk powers activate please!

Tonight is my first night of golf league, and I'm nervous. New-to-me course, and while I have a few acquaintances in the league, they're primarily professional contacts, not personal. It's a No Judgement league with lots of learners, so I'm not so much worried about my actual golfing — it's the socializing after over a year of isolation! LOLOLOL

I feel like it's the first day of junior high. "What if my clothes are wrong? What if I look weird in my contact lenses (that I only wear for skiing and golfing)? What if my assigned partner doesn't like me?"

Someone promise me that at least 1/4 of these other women are feeling this way, too ...

MissySki

Angel Diva
You are sooooo not the only one! I always feel like this when going into a new group setting. It's usually always better than I expect it to be though and when it's over I end up wondering why I was so worried in the first place.

Good luck, have a blast, and let us know how it goes!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Through a chance comment during a Zoom concert recently, another woman learned that I golf. She contacted me and invited me to play with a group. Well, I did, but with a great deal of trepidation. Same kind of worries: would I be wearing the right stuff, were they way better players than me, etc., etc. Anyhow, none of this was a concern - it's all very low key with everyone just out for fun. Being able to laugh seems to be a requirement! And I was quite chuffed that my golf was really no worse than that of the others.

So, go for it and enjoy! I find it's kind of like skiing with woman: no judgement and everyone very supportive.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
Exactly what the other divas said. Don't stress about your game and I am sure your clothes are fine. I just went thru the same thing, joined a league with women I play hockey with and since they play all the time, I was a bit intimidated no matter how they said it was low key. I still was worried about my game and my wardrobe. When we started, it was still pretty cold here in Mass and I didn't have "golf pants" and went shopping and ran around but could not find what I was looking for. I ended up wearing "nice" black sweatpants with pockets from my closet and I didn't feel out of place. My game, well, it is a work in progress but I am having so much fun that it doesn't matter.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Thank you all! It was, as you all predicted, a lovely evening, and my new golf partner was a nervous as I was (or perhaps even moreso.) Our foursome decided from the start to not keep score and play best ball ... and if we ALL hit it in the rough, we just tossed our balls onto the fairway at approximately the same distance and played on in order to keep up the pace of play. I had at least some good shots and ended strong with a well played bogey on the final hole of the night. That's about as good as it gets for me! (And my clothes were fine and one of my foursome complimented my pants. Lol. Whew, junior high insecurities pacified.)

OH! Edited to add, at least one person I know actually did not recognize me in my contact lenses though. Hahahahaha

kiki

Angel Diva
@Knitjenious that sounds like an awesome evening and so glad it worked out well. Now you have a weekly group to play with and it will be easier next time. :clap:

altagirl

Staff member
I'm still doing the Spark league and it's been really fun. We were a bit worried that we were doing to die in the heat (it was supposed to be 97 yesterday) but it didn't get quite that high and it's so dry it really wasn't bad at all anyway. Both my partner and I showed up with these little hand spray bottle fan mister things (hah) and they were nice but really not necessary.

And we finished tied for second place in yesterday's round (woohoo!), which bumps us up into the top 50% in the league overall standings (out of 20 active teams). We both had our best rounds of the season, which was also pretty exciting... Anyway, it's definitely fun to feel like you're improving.

I did have a question for the more experienced golfers... So the course we play at does not allow drivers on the driving range (it's short and potentially you could drive it over the fence and onto the interstate). I mean... I personally couldn't but it's the rule. Anyway -I do my warmup with other clubs on the driving range and then with my driver on the first hole I usually just take a few practice swings at a dandelion or something and go for it. Is there anything else you can or should do in those situations? I mean, the first drive on the first hole gives me some nerves anyway...

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm still doing the Spark league and it's been really fun. We were a bit worried that we were doing to die in the heat (it was supposed to be 97 yesterday) but it didn't get quite that high and it's so dry it really wasn't bad at all anyway. Both my partner and I showed up with these little hand spray bottle fan mister things (hah) and they were nice but really not necessary.

And we finished tied for second place in yesterday's round (woohoo!), which bumps us up into the top 50% in the league overall standings (out of 20 active teams). We both had our best rounds of the season, which was also pretty exciting... Anyway, it's definitely fun to feel like you're improving.

I did have a question for the more experienced golfers... So the course we play at does not allow drivers on the driving range (it's short and potentially you could drive it over the fence and onto the interstate). I mean... I personally couldn't but it's the rule. Anyway -I do my warmup with other clubs on the driving range and then with my driver on the first hole I usually just take a few practice swings at a dandelion or something and go for it. Is there anything else you can or should do in those situations? I mean, the first drive on the first hole gives me some nerves anyway...

Funny, I was at yesterday's golf lesson where it was only 70 degrees and cloudy but soooo humid. I was sweating and cursing my decision to wear pants as I didn't think it was going to feel so warm. Next week will be in the 90s when I have a course lesson Monday and then high 70s for a regular group lesson Thursday.. I'm not looking forward to Monday's temperatures and sure will be in a lot less clothing than yesterday! lol

kiki

Angel Diva

Ultimately your swing should be the same with any club. Can you use your fairway woods on the practice area? If not just use your longest iron.
I actually never hit practice balls directly before a round as if i do my joints hurt before the end of the round. Many folks are like me and save practice for practice days and play for play days. Is there another larger driving range you can use in the area for practice?

altagirl

Staff member
Ultimately your swing should be the same with any club. Can you use your fairway woods on the practice area? If not just use your longest iron.
I actually never hit practice balls directly before a round as if i do my joints hurt before the end of the round. Many folks are like me and save practice for practice days and play for play days. Is there another larger driving range you can use in the area for practice?

You know, honestly, I'm just used to warming up and hitting a few balls with each club. I can't say my driving has suffered any from not warming up - it's just... utterly terrifying at the first hole. I warm up with my hybrid and irons and do some putting but honestly maybe I should just focus on the putting and chipping warmup and see what happens. And I've been trying to get out to the driving range at least once in between our weekly rounds. The other driving range I go to is full size. I did get out there this evening.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
How's is going, golf divas? Third week in a row of getting rained out for my league, but at least tonight I got 4 holes in before lightning sent us all back to the clubhouse. (We did get rainchecks for all 3 weeks, so I will still get to golf eventually!)

I was really bummed to have tonight canceled because I took a lesson Sunday and am eager to keep working on applying the tweaks from the instructor. She made some changes to my grip and stance, and the rewiring process is hard. Plus I have a work golf outing on Friday where I am golfing in a foursome with my CEO and wanted the practice tonight!

How is everything going with everyone else's golf season?

SkiBam

Angel Diva
How is everything going with everyone else's golf season?
I'm definitely improving and have decided my golf goal is to be "consistently adequate." And "adequate" is something I, myself, decide, not whoever decided what par should be on a certain hole. I evaluate each shot as to its adequacy. If it goes reasonably straight and a reasonable distance (for me), it's adequate. Some are slightly above adequate (not all that often!) and some (sadly) are still inadequate. I do aim to always two-putt. Above that is generally inadequate. The moral of this to me is do not worry about what others are doing and just play your own game.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm definitely improving and have decided my golf goal is to be "consistently adequate." And "adequate" is something I, myself, decide, not whoever decided what par should be on a certain hole. I evaluate each shot as to its adequacy. If it goes reasonably straight and a reasonable distance (for me), it's adequate. Some are slightly above adequate (not all that often!) and some (sadly) are still inadequate. I do aim to always two-putt. Above that is generally inadequate. The moral of this to me is do not worry about what others are doing and just play your own game.
I like your attitude. Whenever I play golf I have special rules, one being that I can stop playing any hole I’m irritated at and start again on the next one. I am also allowed to tee it up in the fairway, if it happens to be a day that I’m having trouble getting the balls in the air.

it's been many years since I golfed.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Yes! Consistently adequate. Golf for me is an exercise in being okay with being okay at golf. I try to celebrate something about every hole. It might be "I didn't lose another ball in the rough!" or "my putt was REALLY close." LOL

It helps that my league is super low key. It's literally called the No Judgement League, so it's a great place to practice and learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly