• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki, I am 5'6'' and yes, it was nice to get out and hit some balls. I'm not sure how to answer what the length of the clubs are as each club is different. Joe thinks they are a junior set, which is possible as our friend tried to get our girls into golfing a few years back and were probably left at our house. He compared my 9 iron with his and there was about a 2 inch difference which explained why he kept telling me I was leaning too far forward. Thats when he decided to compare. He gave me a card of someone who "makes" clubs and would get me clubs that would suit my height and level with better grips at a "reasonable price". I will call and get more info then decide what to do. Joe told me I didn't need a full set, just 8&9 irons, putter, wedge, and a few hybrids.

Ahh okay understood. Yeah I had been wondering if they were petite length, standard women’s, men’s etc. Being juniors would certainly explain it for your height.

kiki

Angel Diva
It was interesting at my class on Tuesday, I noticed I had a lot of trouble finding my balance between my left and right foot and my weight shift through the turn. I had similar issues as the beginning of ski season with skiing. It got me thinking about how different the weight distribution and shifting is in the two sports and explains to me a bit about why I find the transition of seasons to be so hard. Something to keep in mind now and then again in November.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So it’s supposed to rain tomorrow, which once again coincides with starting my golf clinic. Spoke to the instructor today and he said that it’ll be cancelled if it’s raining. He’ll contact us tomorrow if this is the case. What bad luck, 2 Thursdays in a row with inclement weather.. I’m hoping the forecast is wrong, but looking at the hourly forecast it’s over 90% chance of rain in the afternoon and seems to just get worse throughout the day. So bummed.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
My last 2 golf outings have been rained out as well, incl today. Hey, but that's Spring Golf!

altagirl

Staff member
Look up Spark Golf (https://www.spark.golf) and see if there are any leagues in your area. Someone suggested that to me and I will try them in a few weeks. This is 9-hole league usually at the end of the day so people can play 9-holes with others and not commit a full ~4 hours.
I went and did this today! My golf partner tore her ACL, so I figured I'd get out and try something that would get me golfing. I didn't end up having a partner today, but played with another pair. Everyone was super friendly, stayed distanced and it was just laid back and fun! Thanks for the suggestion.

Hah, and also - being the first round of golf this year (and I only played 3 rounds last year due to COVID....) - most of my game was pretty rough but somehow my drives were on fire after the first hole. The first hole my aim was off and I hit a beautiful drive slightly off into the woods. But the other drives were all beautifully straight, long and I several times could not believe that was my ball sitting right in front of the green (or heck, even in the sand trap right next to the green...). Generally I proceeded to make a mess out of the rest of those holes, but... it was pretty exciting to have some part of my game work consistently well, and just like I visualized it. One was a 275 yard hole, and I was like okay, my best drives are generally 250 yards, and I'm going to put it right there - and it was right there in front of the green. Hahaha, I even double checked that it was really my ball because that's not normally how this works for me.... ;)

kiki

Angel Diva
Wow @altagirl you are a heavy hitter, that’s awesome!

weather permitting I’m participating in a season opener best ball tournament tomorrow.

Feeling a bit nervous as I’ve only played 9 holes this season and continue to have foot pain that had siderailed my ski season, so I have to be able to walk 18 holes tomorrow! They try to mix the groups so that everyone is paired with people that don’t normally play together, and it’s groups of 5 with one gal and 4 men to each team. I hope the people I’m playing with are not super competitive!!!

altagirl

Staff member
It's nice that is a best ball tournament - that at least takes some pressure off. Haha, I needed that for those holes where I drove it close to the green and then chipped it into the woods.... go me. :doh:

Anyway, fingers crossed that your foot feels good for your tournament!

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We’ve been in a bit of a drought here, so it’s actually a good thing in general. It’s just funny to have a pretty dry spring until you want to do something outside like this.
So funny...I finally got into the mental state that ski season was over & it was time to focus on golf. Thanks to Mother Nature (cold, wind, rain) & the crazy NE weather, I played my first 9 holes of the season this past Sat in the crazy wind! Hoping to see some sunshine this week to get back out there!

MissySki

Angel Diva
So funny...I finally got into the mental state that ski season was over & it was time to focus on golf. Thanks to Mother Nature (cold, wind, rain) & the crazy NE weather, I played my first 9 holes of the season this past Sat in the crazy wind! Hoping to see some sunshine this week to get back out there!

I am crossing my fingers so hard that the forecast holds for Thursday..

Saturday WAS ridiculously windy!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thursday is looking good, so hopefully you’ll get out there! I just bought some golf pants & a few layers; so warm weather is sure to arrive any day now that I’m prepped for colder temps, LOL.

It does indeed look good, I’m so excited that I finally get to start! Putting 101 here I come!

Ohh that will totally bring in the warm weather! Thanks for taking one for the team! :wink:

kiki

Angel Diva
Went and played 9 holes after work this evening. Put my Fitbit on right before staring and logged 9,200 steps, yay! It was beautiful out and saw a couple of deer.
8BBB6501-03DE-4A06-836B-DCCE6EBAB079.jpeg

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It does indeed look good, I’m so excited that I finally get to start! Putting 101 here I come!

Ohh that will totally bring in the warm weather! Thanks for taking one for the team! :wink:

You'll have to let us know how it goes!

MissySki

Angel Diva
It turned out to be a beautiful day to be outside, finally! Class was fun, we worked on putting and chipping. I need a lot of practice, I’m surely not a natural. :rotf: I ordered a cheapo Amazon putting green that gets great reviews, hoping that’ll be helpful to work on some stuff. It was funny because someone else in my class mentioned wanting the same one.

There were 9 women in my class and 2 instructors. We were only on the putting green today, but even that is picturesque. I look forward to when I get to see more of the course. Next week we’ll be on the driving range.

altagirl

Staff member
I got a friend to go with me and had another round of the Spark league. 12 years post LASIK I just got glasses this week (very minor correction, but including astigmatism) And my first swing on my mat in the backyard didn't even make contact with the foam ball. At least I adjusted quickly for the most part but it was comical.

I played better overall. But my driving was less consistent. The spark league scoring still confuses me a bit. But it's definitely fun!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Soooo... tipping for golf lessons? I'm doing a 6 series of private lessons with a PGA pro who I formerly did two seasons of "Get golf ready" with. I've already paid him for the series of lessons via venmo, but I'm assuming I should tip him in cash at the end?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Tonight was my second lesson. We were on the driving range this time and worked with a 9 iron, a 7 iron, and a driver. I loved my driver, it was so much fun when I’d get a good straight shot with it. That definitely wasn’t all of them, but a few in particular felt so nice! I most often was hitting right and the tiniest turn of my club to square it up would make all the difference. Shocked me every time. The irons were much more finicky for me, I was having issues with hitting the ground instead of my ball. It’s amazing how tiny little tweaks can make a huge difference in how you hit the ball and where it goes. I see much practice in my future.. it’s nice having someone right there in class to breakdown what you’re doing after each swing. I plan to start using my net at home too, so we’ll see how that goes.

My Thursday classes are supposed to be an hour, but so far we’ve gone long each time. It’s great, though my hands get a bit sore from gripping for so long. My left hand was fine with a glove today, but one finger on my right hand was starting to blister. I’m hoping that’s something that goes away with time and practice.

Monday we’re going to have instruction on a couple of holes on the course, super excited for that. I’ve never been on a real course before. I wonder how long it’ll be until I feel ready to play 9 holes etc.

I think I’m already hooked..

7069F4B8-9654-45C4-9AA4-E71FB742C331.jpeg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly