• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Okay, so updates of some progress!
3) I also called the golf club really close to me, Blissful Meadows, again and confirmed that they still don't have any set dates for their clinics.. I feel impatient, but everywhere else seems to have some sort of a plan starting so not sure what their holdup is.. and don't really want to wait and find out that they don't offer something etc.
Check out LPGA Amateurs.com and find your local chapter. You can contact them and ask about their New Members event that should be coming up in the next few wks. You can be a guest for a couple of rounds before you join, if you like, but it's a great org for women, very supportive of all levels -- much like TSD folks. They will have various different leagues you can join, depending on when you can play, and they usually have various clinics and special events, etc, depending on the chapter. I belong to the Nashville Chapter, but I suspect there's one in your area.

kiki

Angel Diva
@MissySki that’s exciting developments, and so awesome to have that to look forward to right now. Calloway is good quality, sounds like a great pick.

On my end, signed up for weekly group lessons to dust off my swing starting April 20th for 9 weeks. They are in the evenings for one hour and a mix of short game putting and chipping on a green as well as full swing in the driving range. Did the same the last two summers with the same place and teachers so just keep picking away at it.

With WB closing down early looks like my golf season will start a bit earlier than planned, we still have the smaller local hills open for a couple weeks so I hope to ski this weekend and next and then golf weekends starting April 17.

Anyone been golfing yet this season/done the transition yet?

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki that’s exciting developments, and so awesome to have that to look forward to right now. Calloway is good quality, sounds like a great pick.

On my end, signed up for weekly group lessons to dust off my swing starting April 20th for 9 weeks. They are in the evenings for one hour and a mix of short game putting and chipping on a green as well as full swing in the driving range. Did the same the last two summers with the same place and teachers so just keep picking away at it.

With WB closing down early looks like my golf season will start a bit earlier than planned, we still have the smaller local hills open for a couple weeks so I hope to ski this weekend and next and then golf weekends starting April 17.

That sounds great!! I’m jealous yours is starting so soon. It’s fun having a distraction as ski season is winding down, even to just be in the research stage as I’ve been.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Look up Spark Golf (https://www.spark.golf) and see if there are any leagues in your area. Someone suggested that to me and I will try them in a few weeks. This is 9-hole league usually at the end of the day so people can play 9-holes with others and not commit a full ~4 hours.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Anyone have good suggestions for women's golf groups on Facebook? I've joined a few randomly, one that's beginner women specifically and another that's women in general, and a couple of buy/sell/trade sites as well. Curious if anyone had a recommendation for one they love and find very useful though. I'd love to find a local one to MA.. I found a co-ed one for MA but it seems majority men.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Mr. tinymoose and I hit up the indoor simulator this past weekend (it was raining), but that's it so far. That was more to see if I could still make contact with the ball after a few years off, and to get an idea how far I hit each club. We're contemplating setting up a fitting appointment for me.

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Buyer Beware! I ONLY buy synthetic golf gloves -- NEVER "leather" -- why? Because the type of "leather" that golf gloves are made of (unless you can be sure they're made in the USA) is often DOG skin! I try not to buy anything leather anyway, if I can help it, but I definitely draw the line at dog leather. BTW, those buttery soft leather dress gloves one gives/gets as gifts are also sometimes dog leather.
OMG....I never knew that ...ugh!! Thanks ...as I need some new gloves for the upcoming season & will be sure they are NOT leather.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well shoot..

So I had updated previously that I was waiting on finding out when the clinic was starting for Highfields which is ~25 mins from my house. They had said the end of April or early May and that they'd send out an email with details ahead of time. I still hadn't heard any update so I called just now and he's all like oh yeah we're starting next Thursday. Ummm thanks for letting me know?? So now I'm 1) super excited to start but 2) This is the worst week for me because I'm getting my second vaccine shot Monday evening (so hopefully I'll be all good by Thursday) and I also have to drive 4 hours up to Maine Thursday evening because I have an appointment there early Friday morning.. So that'll be a late night, but oh well not the end of the world I guess. It just would have been so much better if it was one more week away. I guess that's just always how it goes.

I was already planning to finally go shop for some clothing and shoes this weekend, so at least I'll be all set there.

The clinic apparently goes on a monthly basis, so every Thursday is a 1 hour class and then every other Monday is instruction out on the course as well. This seems kind of cool since I haven't seen most places including actual course instruction. I also like that it seems you can just keep going in 1 month intervals and building off of your previous clinics. It's $150/month which seems reasonable since you're there 6 times per month altogether.

Anyway, that's my update! Hope to have more soon once I actually start. Perhaps I should start a new thread on my golf journey as I get going so I don't clog up the main thread too much.

kiki

Angel Diva
How did the shopping go, @MissySki ?

I went out for my fist round of golf Saturday. Only played 9 holes. Weather here was unseasonably warm (25 degrees Celsius) so was out there in a skort and a sleeveless golf shirt. Had to dig out the sunscreen to protect my pale skin after a winter in ski gear. Started a blister on my heel and another on my hand, the transition between ski and golf season is always rough.

tomorrow I start the first of 9 weeks of group lessons. We do about half the classes on a putting and chipping green working on short game and about half the classes in the driving range working on full swing, and one class on course. The 9 weeks is $350 so about $40 per week which is way less than private classes.54CD723C-B7C6-4809-96F6-354B635C6733.jpeg

Jilly

Staff member
Our courses are closed as per new restrictions....Going to be too cold this week anyways. But it was really strange to drive by one yesterday that should have been full and no one there...

kiki

Angel Diva
Our courses are closed as per new restrictions....Going to be too cold this week anyways. But it was really strange to drive by one yesterday that should have been full and no one there...
I just don’t understand the reasoning on closing outside activities where people are spaced far apart like golf—no one shakes hands anymore or touches the flag posts, everyone is very far apart. Hopefully they will keep ours open....

Jilly

Staff member
Clubhouse isn't even open, just the washrooms and most have exterior doors....Have you seen Premier Ford? I think the only exercise he does is bending his elbow.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just don’t understand the reasoning on closing outside activities where people are spaced far apart like golf—no one shakes hands anymore or touches the flag posts, everyone is very far apart. Hopefully they will keep ours open....
It is not the sport itself that is risky, it is people’s behavior. Congregating by the tee boxes, hanging out before and after, etc. No one is supposed to shake hands/handle flag/come in close contact/etc., but people still do that.
There was an outbreak at my club a few months ago, originated from ONE group of guys who played golf together one weekend and all got covid shortly after and spread to family and friends. The club had to shutdown and no one got to play golf because of that.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Weather here was unseasonably warm (25 degrees Celsius) so was out there in a skort and a sleeveless golf shirt. Had to dig out the sunscreen to protect my pale skin after a winter in ski gear.

Try this. Works well with sleeveless tops, lightweight, full protection, and it doesn’t cut off circulation on arms or slip down. Been using this for years and not one single sunburn!

Hairwilly Advanced Cooling Shawl Arm Sleeve Sun Protection Comfortable & Breathable for Women Golf & Outdoor Sports https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FHXQFV...t_i_RTN02CKW9RMF6NYKNYT1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

MissySki

Angel Diva
How did the shopping go, @MissySki ?

I went out for my fist round of golf Saturday. Only played 9 holes. Weather here was unseasonably warm (25 degrees Celsius) so was out there in a skort and a sleeveless golf shirt. Had to dig out the sunscreen to protect my pale skin after a winter in ski gear. Started a blister on my heel and another on my hand, the transition between ski and golf season is always rough.

tomorrow I start the first of 9 weeks of group lessons. We do about half the classes on a putting and chipping green working on short game and about half the classes in the driving range working on full swing, and one class on course. The 9 weeks is $350 so about $40 per week which is way less than private classes.View attachment 15678

Looks lovely!

It went well, eventually. Was pretty frustrating to start though as I tried TJ Maxx, Dick’s, and Golfer’s Warehouse only to find that pretty much any bottom I liked was already sold out of my size in store! Finally gave up and went back to Golf Galaxy which is further away from me and found some stuff there. Some on clearance and some buy 1 get 1 50% off etc.

I am definitely ready to start, can’t wait!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I was all ready to start this Thursday, and then the instructor just emailed to say that since it’s a vacation week (not for me! Lol) and the weather looks iffy for Thursday (cold and windy) we will start next week instead. :hurt:

Originally that would have been my preference due to my schedule this week, but now I’m a little disappointed since I’ve been anticipating starting and had worked it all out. O’well.. Hopefully they are more structured once things start. I know you can’t control the weather, but the whole “spring break/April vacation” thing is certainly a known date range so kind of weird to suddenly change it with that piece added into the reasoning.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
So I had my first golf lesson today at Juniper Hill with Joe. He was very good at explaining things and very upbeat. Even though it was only 30 minutes, I actually felt I improved a little bit with his help. Sadly, he did tell me the clubs I am using are too small for me so I will have to figure something out at some point. Overall, a good day.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I had my first golf lesson today at Juniper Hill with Joe. He was very good at explaining things and very upbeat. Even though it was only 30 minutes, I actually felt I improved a little bit with his help. Sadly, he did tell me the clubs I am using are too small for me so I will have to figure something out at some point. Overall, a good day.

That’s awesome, great that you could get out already! What’s your height and length of clubs?

Peppermint

Angel Diva
@MissySki, I am 5'6'' and yes, it was nice to get out and hit some balls. I'm not sure how to answer what the length of the clubs are as each club is different. Joe thinks they are a junior set, which is possible as our friend tried to get our girls into golfing a few years back and were probably left at our house. He compared my 9 iron with his and there was about a 2 inch difference which explained why he kept telling me I was leaning too far forward (Joe isn't much taller than me). Thats when he decided to compare. He gave me a card of someone who "makes" clubs and would get me clubs that would suit my height and level with better grips at a "reasonable price". I will call and get more info then decide what to do. Joe told me I didn't need a full set, just 8&9 irons, putter, wedge, and a few hybrids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly