• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

kiki

Angel Diva
Any of you finding your sports seasons colliding? Golf season has started here in the PNW. My friends and hubby are trying to lure me to the golf course instead of the ski hill this weekend.... any one else considering these tough choices, lol!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
only in the Fall I"ve done both.. Nov 11 several yrs ago. I skied Okemo in the morning and golfed in the afternoon!. Lots more skiing to do before the course is dry enough to open by me.. I'd SKI plenty of warm days ahead to golf!!

Jilly

Staff member
Not until the end of April. But pool paddling for dragon boat training has started.

altagirl

Staff member
I joined a group of friends and did a Top Golf league during the winter and we just stayed the spring league. I haven't been on an actual golf course in decades and that was like twice other than as a child. So I have no idea what I'm doing. I've had one lesson so far and otherwise it's just picking up tips from my friends. They are getting out on actual courses/ in courses and leagues and have had more lessons than me.

I just bought my first set of clubs this weekend though and am excited to try them out. And need to find time to fit in another lesson.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
i have not been out on the golf course in some time! when i got married and had a kid i kind of gave up golf for a bit. i would love to get back out there to do a 9 hole round and get back into it. i sold my irons some years ago thinking if i go back to it i want a different set of irons. i like my driver, my wedge and my putter so those all stayed. i also kept 2 woods, my 3 and 5 but they could probably be replaced as they weren't anything special from what i remember.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH and I have made it out a couple of times in the past month. The weather has not been cooperative - just like ski season. Still, I golf far better than I ski - probably because I learned to golf about 25 years before I learned to ski. I took up golfing again a few years ago when the kids got older. I was playing with 40 year old clubs, so I bought myself a basic set of irons and hybrids, which stepped up my game quite a bit.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Too bad I learned to ski 50 years before trying golf; otherwise, my golf would surely be as good as my skiing! Still, I enjoy it and the challenge. And am happy to have a group to play with - none of whom take it seriously, get mad, throw clubs, etc. It's always an enjoyable, if frustrating at times, outing. I look forward to getting out on the course, maybe later this week (before the black flies arrive!).

altagirl

Staff member
So, I made it out on an actual golf course last weekend, though it's a VERY easy one. I even managed par on two holes. But they were under 100 yards. I didn't even realize that such short holes existed.

And I've been doing a ladies golf clinic on Wednesday nights.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I managed to sneak out of work early last Friday and hit twilight time at my favorite course (not my most often played, but definitely my favorite). I have never been one to keep score, because I'm just out there to have fun. Not sure what possessed me, but I decided to keep score and managed 96 on a par 72 course. I surprised the heck out of myself when I got a birdie on a par 4 hole. I've never golfed competitively, but I've been thinking of joining a league. Unfortunately, like skiing, golf can be an expensive hobby and while I'm not exactly poor, my disposable income just got less disposable with a piece of property in northern Wisconsin that I just inherited.

altagirl

Staff member
Nice work!!

I've been taking group lessons in a women's clinic on Wednesday nights, which has been fun and helpful. Last night we went out on the course afterwards to play as much as we could before dark. The other course we have been playing is so easy, Haha I think we were feeling confident. The first time out I only had time for 6 holes andi hit 34. Then 50 for 9 holes, not great, but for my first two times out, I was satisfied with that. Last night's course? OMG. We did NOT keep score. I don't even know how many balls we lost in the water. Even from the easy tee boxes you often had to drive over water. And it's like a ball magnet. We had a blast anyway though, running to avoid sprinklers and carrying bags for the first time (to late in the day for them to rent carts or push carts). I totally underestimated the effect of rushing to hit before a gigantic sprinkler soaks you. Hahaha. But, it was a beautiful evening and we had a lot of laughs.

Last edited:

Tvan

Angel Diva
I haven’t played golf in over a decade, but I’m headed to the PGA tomorrow with a bunch of people from work at the invitation of one of our vendors. Its supposed to be a lovely day in Connecticut tomorrow. :smile:

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
altagirl, that sounds like an absolute BLAST! I took a couple of lessons from a golf coach in 9th grade, but never went anywhere with it aside from casual golfing and a renewed interest a few years ago.

I should look into local clinics myself. One thing I do have to laugh about is that unlike skiing (which we all know can get you killed or seriously injured if you do it badly), my DH has coached me really well on my drives and chip shots.

I'm headed to a golf outing to support our athletic boosters tomorrow. I'm excited to see how well (or poorly) I do when the pressure of golfing with strangers is on. Since I'm not on any leagues, I can always claim I'm not really a golfer if I don't play well.

altagirl

Staff member
Absolutely! Try to make it low pressure. It's funny how I manage to pressure myself in different situations, and it's not logical. The pressure of top golf league competition tends to make me play better. But I went out on an actual driving range alone and felt like everyone must be staring at me meessing up everything and it was ugly. Is that the difference a cocktail makes? Supportive friends? Just day to day randomness?

I went out again last weekend and shot a 51 on 9 holes. But I had a lovely 200 yard, perfectly straight drive on the 9th and shot par. And hit a nice 250 yard drive on another hole. It feels so good to hit one well. It's kind of like powder skiing. A few moments of OOOOHHHHH I got this and you're on the hunt to make it happen again.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got a new club for my birthday (in September), which made me think about ski sizing. I really needed a 3 iron because I needed something that I can hit long and from the rough. I ended up with what's called a wood iron (another type of hybrid). I could NOT seem to hit a ball with the women's club, so he switched me to a senior men's flex, which is slightly longer, and I rocked it. I may demo some unisex skis this year if I get the chance.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I had my first lesson at the end of last September with other beginners at a work tournament. Hoping to do some series of lessons this year much earlier on so I can have time to practice. Really I’m hoping that my work league offers that sort of thing for us along with what they offer for the more experienced folks, but we’ll see! :smile:

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Hello! I started golfing a couple summers ago thanks to an event hosted by the women's group of the nonprofit where I work. It was all about introducing women to golf as a business skill. Turned out I really enjoyed it and while I have still only played a handful of complete rounds, it's something I am looking forward to doing more of.

I joined a "no judgement" women's league for this upcoming summer and am looking forward to consistent practice with others who are at various stages of learning.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly