• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

skibumwannabe

Certified Ski Diva
I'm hooked enough on golf that I played today in Phoenix when it was 110.
My husband goes on a guy trip in January to Pheonix every year to golf and go to the Barrett Jackson auction...maybe someday I will make it there with the girls....always wanted to see Arizona....how is the skiing there?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, just wondering if there are any golfers out there? :eek:
I took lessons 2 falls ago, now join Nick Stoners in Caroga Lake Is a beautiful nightly walk, hardest easiest game I've ever played. I miss it when I don't go but wouldn't trade skiing for it.. just keeps the legs active til the snow flies! soon...

jayce

Certified Ski Diva
I'm also a golfer. I haven't had much time to play in the last several years, but I used to be very good. I really miss it! I've put my four year old son in a preschool golf clinic this year and he loves it as well. Hopefully, if it ever cools off here, we, along with DH, can head over the golf course and walk a few holes in the evenings.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Found this thread as, among the many things that seem to be keeping me busy this year, is a brand new interest in golf. Never had any desire at all to play (though always enjoyed watching on TV) but a couple of friends decided to take some lessons and I joined them.

I've had three lessons so far, with one left of the four we signed up for. Then my friends and I think we'll attempt the local par three course.

To my surprise, I'm really enjoying it – and finding it good to have a new summer interest. Even went out and bought a set of clubs. Doubt, however, if I'll ever golf as well as I ski, but I think it's so important as one ages to dive into something completely new and challenging.

All words of encouragement welcome!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just picked up golfing this summer, if you count a handful of trips to the driving range "picking up golf." :smile: I'm torn between continuing to hack away by myself at the driving range for now, or spring for a few lessons. I'd really hate to eat into my skiing budget too much for golf. :p

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm torn between continuing to hack away by myself at the driving range for now, or spring for a few lessons. I'd really hate to eat into my skiing budget too much for golf. :p

I hear you on not wanting to spend "ski" money on golf, but I think golf is somewhat like skiing in that there's not a lot of point practising the wrong thing. And having done a couple of lessons, I realize there's nothing intuitive (well, to me anyway) about a golf swing. At least check out some golf instruction websites for a bit of guidance.

My two golf buddies and I are trying to schedule the last lesson in our series, in which we're supposed to learn chipping and putting. Then I think we'll inflict ourselves on a nearby Par 3 course – and try not to disgrace ourselves too much!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hear you on not wanting to spend "ski" money on golf, but I think golf is somewhat like skiing in that there's not a lot of point practising the wrong thing. And having done a couple of lessons, I realize there's nothing intuitive (well, to me anyway) about a golf swing. At least check out some golf instruction websites for a bit of guidance.

My two golf buddies and I are trying to schedule the last lesson in our series, in which we're supposed to learn chipping and putting. Then I think we'll inflict ourselves on a nearby Par 3 course – and try not to disgrace ourselves too much!

Wha? Are you saying the Happy Gilmore golf swing technique isn't correct?!? Drats...

Good luck on the Par 3!

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great to see other ladies here who golf. I've been playing for about 3 years and not great at it but really enjoy it. I love the challenge. Although the off days can get discouraging, when somehow you make that one long putt or great chip shot or hit close to the pin, then you just feel amazing.

I just have a basic beginner set and I've lucked into finding some very random used single clubs at driving ranges here and there that have really helped my game.

Anyone know of a GolfDiva-like community? As soon as I stumbled across this forum I thought to myself "I wish there was a community like this for women golfers."

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Totally agree with you, SkiBarn, on the value of lessons. I can't imagine attempting golf without them. And Par 3's are absolutely the way to go.If you can master the short game you can do well at golf and pick up the long shots later. We didn't even attempt a real 18 hole course until we had been playing for a couple of years.

Did you get a chance to golf much over the summer? Hope you're still enjoying it!

Vista freak

Angel Diva
I'm learning. It was a prerequisite for my honeymoon to have golf lessons- they didn't help much, and I never picked it up. Now 25 years later, I have a new interest and I'm doing a lot better.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Q for the long-time golfers... How extensively have you upgraded your clubs since you decided to keep playing?

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One more golfing diva here. Or at least I own a share of our "local" course, I'm a member of the club and I have gear. I did play a few rounds almost two years ago (:becky: With my mothers, at their club) Perhaps this year, the course opens tomorrow... I have played since I was 13 yo, but working as a caddie master really stopped my golfing. If I spent 12 hours at the club working I definitely didn't want to stay there when not working. And golfing is not as much fun as skiing or riding. Starting again is a bit problematic, I have a mental picture about how well I should play and how well I actually play doesn't come even close...

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Since I last posted on this thread, I can't say I'm a much better golfer, though I have played a fair bit and quite enjoy it. I think the secret for me is to go out with people who are maybe just a little better than me (and that means most of the golfing population!) or who are extremely patient. Need some more lessons this season, which I'll get at once the snow goes and the courses open.

Someone asked about upgrading clubs. I bought a set the summer before last and the sales guy (who I got along well with as he was a skier) kind of implied that basically these clubs should see me out!

What I like about golf is the challenge: learning more and trying to improve. (Kind of like skiing, in that regard.)

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I determined two years ago, after driving a club into the ground and injuring my ab muscles, that if I'm ever going to golf, lessons will have to be involved. Maybe this summer if I can get a good deal on a few lessons?

I do have a cheap set of Maxfli clubs we bought me two summers ago. I'm sure the quality on them is not awesome, but I liked how lightweight they are.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think I determined two years ago, after driving a club into the ground and injuring my ab muscles, that if I'm ever going to golf, lessons will have to be involved. Maybe this summer if I can get a good deal on a few lessons?

I do have a cheap set of Maxfli clubs we bought me two summers ago. I'm sure the quality on them is not awesome, but I liked how lightweight they are.
Starter lessons definitely help. I took a series of three from a local pro who wasn't PGA, so much cheaper. Enough to get the grip and basic strokes straight.

What I found was that any set of clubs is fine, but getting them the right length (sound familiar?) helps. I have an mid-price set that was okay to start with. Eventually I had them cut down about an inch.

If you have a chapter of the EWGA around, that's a great way to learn and practice. Stands for Executive Women's Golf Assoc. The concept behind the idea is that golf is a useful business skill. Don't need to be an advanced golfer, but useful to know the rules and enough to go along on a "social" golf outing with co-workers, company management, potential clients, etc. Usually have plenty of good golfers who are quite willing to give tips and spend time playing with beginners and intermediates. Some chapters arrange clinics. Most have discounted rates at some local golf courses.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm still laughing about how proud I was to ONLY LOSE ONE BALL!!! in an 18-hole round...and in one of those beautifully ironic twists, the guy who was driving with the 2-iron actually lost his entire sleeve, but found so many other balls while he was kicking around looking for his in various places, that he came out of the tournament with four balls more than he took into it.

We did a 2-day Learn To Golf school run by the ski hill, of all things. They have a golf course too, and we got some kind of discount for being season pass-holders. It was a great experience, and when I saw all of the people who had not had the benefit of some good introductory lessons, I really appreciated that experience all over again. I want to go back some time this summer and get a little more instruction from the team there, and see if I can do something about my short-hitting.

Getting clubs was a Major PITA for me. I'm an Amazon, and women's clubs are just too short for me. The pros at golf school told me what I really need are a set of senior men's clubs, so I can get the length I need but with the more flexible shaft. Don't nobody bust my chops if this isn't totally right - they explained it and this is all I can remember about it. But they were clear: senior men's clubs. I was All Over that, but good freakin' luck finding such a thing in entry-level clubs for left-handers. I couldn't find them for love nor money - not at Dicks, not at the golf shops, not at the pro shops, nowhere around here. So I went with a set of regular men's clubs Maxfli with graphite shafts. I drive with a 3-wood. I break out the driver (1) at the range, just because I want to keep in touch with it. I have been told 5,000,000 times how awesome the hybrid 5-wood "rescue" club is, but I hate mine. I do a lot better with the 5-iron than with the 5-wood. Do better with irons than with woods all the way around, actually, but I am getting better with the 3-wood. I have some trouble shifting back and forth between the way to handle irons vs. woods. They have such a different feel to me!

I love the range, I love the course, but I hate the putting green. This is because I totally suck at putting, which just means I need to spend a lot more time on the putting green...

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I've played two actual golf games in the last week, and I also have a private lesson scheduled for the week after next. The DH and I have been hitting up the local 9-hole chip and putt (par 3) for our "golf games." I have learned a chip and putt is way more fun, and I seem to get more out of it, than just hitting balls at the driving range. On the first night I got a lot of +3 over par and an occasional double bogey, but did manage to make par on the final hole. Today went better... while I had a few +3 and +4 over par (oops!), I also managed to make par twice and made a bogey on 3 other holes. So I was pretty pleased with that. :smile: And yes, a bogey to me is awesome at this point. :tongue:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What I found was that any set of clubs is fine, but getting them the right length (sound familiar?) helps. I have an mid-price set that was okay to start with. Eventually I had them cut down about an inch.

Yeah, I suspect that my clubs are too long. Not only am I short, but I have really long arms for my height. Had DH measure me from my wrist to the floor last night and it's only 31", which according to a chart I found online means I should probably have my standard length ladies clubs cut down another inch. Did you find your clubs got a lot stiffer when you had them cut down? That's my one concern with cutting them down. How much did you have taken off?

I'm going to hold off until after my first lesson before I make any changes to the clubs. Get a pro's take on it. I also think I need the grips changed too. I have really long fingers and find myself gripping the clubs really tightly because the current grips are so narrow. If I don't grip the clubs super tight, I feel like they wobble around some when I take my swings.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly