• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Why don’t you think the number you’re getting seems right? I don’t have a handicap yet myself.. so I’m not at all sure, but that sounds about where I’ve heard others mention theirs for this general scoring area.

Since I most often played par 3 courses, my local pitch and putt, or not even kept score, I don’t have enough actual full length course scores to submit mine yet. I am planning on using the GHIN app when I do though. I’m happy they now allow you to count 9 hole rounds, just more of them, because I usually get out on weekday afternoons to play and don’t have time for 18 holes.
I don't know a lot about handicaps and frankly the process confuses me.
I just don't feel like I'm very good, so I thought it'd be higher.
Phil seems to think the 32.7 is accurate
I need to add some of my recent score cards to it.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Why don’t you think the number you’re getting seems right? I don’t have a handicap yet myself.. so I’m not at all sure, but that sounds about where I’ve heard others mention theirs for this general scoring area.

Since I most often played par 3 courses, my local pitch and putt, or not even kept score, I don’t have enough actual full length course scores to submit mine yet. I am planning on using the GHIN app when I do though. I’m happy they now allow you to count 9 hole rounds, just more of them, because I usually get out on weekday afternoons to play and don’t have time for 18 holes.
I think GHIN starts calculating your score after 8 nine-hole rounds. I mostly do 9 holes, and starting this yr the world handicapping system will extrapolate your 9-hole score into an 18-hole score, so they no longer wait to pair up two 9's into one 18.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think GHIN starts calculating your score after 8 nine-hole rounds. I mostly do 9 holes, and starting this yr the world handicapping system will extrapolate your 9-hole score into an 18-hole score, so they no longer wait to pair up two 9's into one 18.
Yes, I’m excited they changed the rules to allow 9 hole rounds into the calculation. I believe you only need six 9 hole rounds to submit now (or three 18 hole rounds), so I should get there in the somewhat near future.

I don’t always keep score, and if submitting for a handicap you also have to ensure that all rules are followed in regards to penalties, drops, playing everything as it lies, no mulligans, etc. As a beginner my rounds don’t always strictly go that way, so need to ensure I have accurate rounds to enter as well.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Hey, it's not a religion, LOL. Just do your best to keep score. No one's judging you. I use the SwingU app on my Apple Watch to keep my score, then enter it into the GHIN app when I get home.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just don’t see the point of keeping a handicap if it’s not accurate.
That's me!
I mean, I plugged my scores into a few different calculators and got 29.7-40.1 with the same score cards.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
GHIN stresses me out. My handicap is slowly creeping up and there is nothing I can do about it. I honestly want to get rid of my account but yet I don’t want to give up my history...

MissySki

Angel Diva
I guess that is one benefit of being a beginner.. I have no real expectations of myself/my game/a handicap. So I ultimately don’t care what it is, I just want one so I am able to play in a league in the future if a handicap is required, etc. It will also be a way to track progress over time since it will start out very high.

I could see it being frustrating the other way around for low handicappers though.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
GHIN stresses me out. My handicap is slowly creeping up and there is nothing I can do about it. I honestly want to get rid of my account but yet I don’t want to give up my history...
All of this is what has kept me from creating an account. I just don't feel like I'm there yet.
And yet, I want to know.
And yet, I don't want to know.
Ya know?

I guess that is one benefit of being a beginner.. I have no real expectations of myself/my game/a handicap. So I ultimately don’t care what it is, I just want one so I am able to play in a league in the future if a handicap is required, etc. It will also be a way to track progress over time since it will start out very high.

I could see it being frustrating the other way around for low handicappers though.

My golf pro has advised me to now worry about scores just yet, and he's also told me to not be concerned with a handicap because "I'm not there yet"
I agree with him, yet I'm really curious about my growth.
I'm not sure that keeping score is good for me, but I can't help myself.
I'm more excited about besting myself on certain holes that are problematic for me.

In summary...
I like to see when I improve different aspects of the game but I get frustrated when something goes wrong.
Something always goes wrong.
:wink:

MissySki

Angel Diva
All of this is what has kept me from creating an account. I just don't feel like I'm there yet.
And yet, I want to know.
Ya know?

My golf pro has advised me to now worry about scores just yet, and he's also told me to not be concerned with a handicap because "I'm not there yet"
I'm more excited about besting myself on certain holes that are problematic for me.

In summary...
I like to see when I improve different aspects of the game but I get frustrated when something goes wrong.
If you are not keeping score then I’d say yeah don’t bother with keeping a handicap. It seems like you are keeping score regardless though? So why not? If you are not keeping score in a way that follows all of the rules for penalties/not improving lies/etc. though then I wouldn’t use those either. That would just give a false representation of your game if you were to follow all rules, so then that seems pointless too. To me it’s all in good fun, and in actuality you are given more strokes with a higher handicap if you were to join a league who requires one, etc. So following all the rules and having your appropriate higher handicap is seemingly a good thing. I don’t have any illusions that my handicap is good, nor do I think it’ll be good for a long long time.. so it doesn’t stress me out to know what it is and have it stay wherever it’s going to or fluctuate for a long while.

Eventually I’m sure I’ll be more competitive with myself about it, but that time isn’t now. I also find it interesting that your coach says you “aren’t there” to have one yet. Everything I have seen is an encouragement for everyone to get one once they have enough scores to do so. It’s supposed to make it more enjoyable to play with all levels of players, and it gives you strokes on holes that are actually realistic as “par” for your level. Seems like a good thing to keep it all in perspective and fun as a beginner and not something to be stressed over. I think I read something like the average women’s handicap is around 27 while the average men’s is like 16 or 17? Something like that.. for perspective.

Last edited:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are not keeping score then I’d say yeah don’t bother with keeping a handicap. It seems like you are keeping score regardless though? So why not? If you are not keeping score in a way that follows all of the rules for penalties/not improving lies/etc. though then I wouldn’t use those either. That would just give a false representation of your game if you were to follow all rules, so then that seems pointless too. To me it’s all in good fun, and in actuality you are given more strokes with a higher handicap if you were to join a league who requires one, etc. So following all the rules and having your appropriate higher handicap is seemingly a good thing. I don’t have any illusions that my handicap is good, nor do I think it’ll be good for a long long time.. so it doesn’t stress me out to know what it is and have it stay wherever it’s going to or fluctuate for a long while.

Eventually I’m sure I’ll be more competitive with myself about it, but that time isn’t now. I also find it interesting that your coach says you “aren’t there” to have one yet. Everything I have seen is an encouragement for everyone to get one once they have enough scores to do so. It’s supposed to make it more enjoyable to play with all levels of players, and it gives you strokes on holes that are actually realistic as “par” for your level. Seems like a good thing to keep it all in perspective and fun as a beginner and not something to be stressed over. I think I read something like the average women’s handicap is around 27 while the average men’s is like 16 or 17? Something like that.. for perspective.
I play by the rules....for the most part.
I will occasionally move my ball out of gravel/cart path, just on to the grass, but that's pretty rare these days because I usually hit the ball straight, just not far.
So, with those occasionaly moves, my handicap wouldn't be super accurate.

That is one reason I am not jumping on the GHIN just yet.
I never really thought about my handicap (at my stage of the game) until I was asked to join the Ladies Golf of Reno a few weeks ago, when someone asked me my handicap in the interest of placing me with an appropriate group.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I never really thought about my handicap (at my stage of the game) until I was asked to join the Ladies Golf of Reno a few weeks ago, when someone asked me my handicap in the interest of placing me with an appropriate group.
That sort of thing is why I want to do it. I need to look into some women’s leagues and organizations around here. :smile:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sort of thing is why I want to do it. I need to look into some women’s leagues and organizations around here. :smile:
It was kind of funny because I told them I'm fairly new to golf so they put me with some women who were fun to golf with but didn't take it seriously.
I want it to be fun but I also want to improve so ....
I'm really trying to play by the rules diligently, but I want to do it in a way that allows me to keep learning without punishing me.
Example, I hit a horrible drive yesterday, and I knew immediately what I did wrong so I took a second tee shot and hit it well. I took the good shot.

Funny enough, taking that extra tee shot takes less time than hitting the horrible drive shot for my second shot. I count the second shot.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It was kind of funny because I told them I'm fairly new to golf so they put me with some women who were fun to golf with but didn't take it seriously.
I want it to be fun but I also want to improve so ....
I'm really trying to play by the rules diligently, but I want to do it in a way that allows me to keep learning without punishing me.
Example, I hit a horrible drive yesterday, and I knew immediately what I did wrong so I took a second tee shot and hit it well. I took the good shot.

Funny enough, taking that extra tee shot takes less time than hitting the horrible drive shot for my second shot. I count the second shot.
Interesting. I have read some other people’s experiences recently and it seems like the experience varies a lot for different leagues. Some women described really great ones where they even have a lower handicap in each group who acts as the mentor for the first so many weeks of the season for newer players etc. The ladies also seemed very into the idea of getting more participants and the clubs were putting out a lot of resources to help keep raising the level of participants with clinics to start the season and throughout. I guess it just depends, but perhaps you can speak to them about your goals a bit more when they are pairing you up next time to endure the group is a good fit. I would also love to play with a group who is better than me so I can have something to attain to and learn from them, but not so good that perhaps I’d just feel really out of place and rushed. I don’t know what sorts of experiences exist around me yet.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And yet, I want to know.
Ya know?

In summary...
I don’t remember where I shared this but instead of using scores to track progress, you can use stats, like FW/GIR% and #putts. Or I like to challenge myself to par/birdie every hole at my course at least once in the season. Yhese are all ways to track progress without using scores. I want to give credit to good shots even if my overall score weren’t satisfactory.
Golf improvement is not linear. Your scores will not keep dropping the more you play. You will hit a plateau or regress, before progressing again. The lower your scores the harder it is to shave strokes. That’s golf.
There is this woman at my club who tried to challenge me as a beginner. She somehow thinks she is a crazy good golfer and could beat me. At that time (1.5 years ago) she was a 38hc and today she is a 13hc. Impressive improvement, right? It is not impossible to improve that much in such a short time but it is not probable. Upon looking at her scores on GHIN with my instructors, we noticed her scores and handicap dropped steadily 1-2 strokes a week and she had absolutely no plateaus. She cannot play to her impressive “handicap” on tournaments so it is pretty clear she is a vanity handicapper. Why even bother having one if you don’t play by the rules or have no integrity/respect for the game?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don’t remember where I shared this but instead of using scores to track progress, you can use stats, like FW/GIR% and #putts. Or I like to challenge myself to par/birdie every hole at my course at least once in the season. Yhese are all ways to track progress without using scores. I want to give credit to good shots even if my overall score weren’t satisfactory.
Golf improvement is not linear. Your scores will not keep dropping the more you play. You will hit a plateau or regress, before progressing again. The lower your scores the harder it is to shave strokes. That’s golf.
There is this woman at my club who tried to challenge me as a beginner. She somehow thinks she is a crazy good golfer and could beat me. At that time (1.5 years ago) she was a 38hc and today she is a 13hc. Impressive improvement, right? It is not impossible to improve that much in such a short time but it is not probable. Upon looking at her scores on GHIN with my instructors, we noticed her scores and handicap dropped steadily 1-2 strokes a week and she had absolutely no plateaus. She cannot play to her impressive “handicap” on tournaments so it is pretty clear she is a vanity handicapper. Why even bother having one if you don’t play by the rules or have no integrity/respect for the game?
On my recent score cards, I'm tracking holes, chips and putts. Doing that has helped me bring down the numbers on my short game. I believe that has been key in bringing my score card down.

Looking at what I need to work on makes such a difference..

Also, I've had two rounds of golf with another newer female who is not as good as I am.
She's asked me for tips and giving her those tips has reinforced things that I (kind of) forgot.
I went back to look at my journaling from the beginning last year and I am seeing that I've improved more than I thought I had.

I LOVE journaling this experience.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yesterday I played a new to me course.. only 9 holes because the heat index was over 100 and wow did it zap my energy by the 6th hole! Very fun and challenging though.

I was demoing some clubs, and my beginner friend and I were paired up with 2 college aged guys who didn't know eachother either.. so my anxiety was raised a bit. I am usually really good at scheduling tee times where we don't get paired with anyone else, but yesterday every tee time seemed full so it was what it was. It ended up being fine though, the guys were nice and we weren't holding them up. They could really bomb their drives, but they were also ping ponging right and left into the trees a lot whereas we were pretty straight most of the time. We actually were waiting on the group in front of us at pretty much every tee.

Anyway, it was kind of a mixed bag but all in all I had a really good time. I scored a 57 scoring everything including 2 drops. This was also with making almost no good drives because for some reason I couldn't hit the driver I was demoing AT ALL. I topped every one of them.. whereas I've been hitting my own driver quite well so that was a bummer and I wish I'd had mine to switch to, but no biggie. The great thing it allowed me to do was test out the 6 hybrid and 7 wood I was demoing, a lot, and they really saved me for moving things along. I LOVED the 7 wood on the fairway and even tee'd off with it a couple of times because I could hit it very well and where I wanted to land made sense with it. I can't hit my own 4 and 5 hybrids worth a damn, and really loved the 6 hybrid I demoed, it was so easy to hit from the rough. But anyway, I think my score would have been a bit better if I had had any good drives where I needed a driver.. I was in the sand twice and got out really well surprisingly, made some very nice chips and pitches. I really need to learn how you land on the green and stop though.. it's such a bummer to get up really nicely and then leave yourself a very long first putt every time because it rolls out so much for me. Putting wasn't terrible, 19 total for the round which was good for me and included a 25+ foot putt that shocked everyone I was with lol. There was a bit of luck to that one for sure, but I'll take it! I also demoed some irons that I tried in a simulator and LOVED so wanted to get on course. I didn't hit them as well yesterday as the last time I used them, but I think my swing was just a bit off overall.. I wasn't rotating well which causes my topping issues when I stall out and early extend.. the thing I did notice is that even my mishits with them went straight and way further than my mishits with my own irons. I was able to demo them for free, and they said I could do so again anytime, so I do think I will take them up on that soon as I now want to try the 5 wood of this set out there too. I'd like to go at the end of the day with no one behind me so I can relax and really get a feel for them out there.

So to recap, I am most definitely getting the 7 wood XXIO as I LOVED that club in a simulator and on course so that's a no brainer. I also want the 6 hybrid, but I didn't try any other hybrids of theirs yet so not sure if I should try a 5 as well to compare first.. I really need some clubs between my 7 iron and driver.. so this is going to be great as I felt I could move along on longer holes a lot better than I usually can yesterday. I cannot hit my 3 wood in the air at all, even off of a tee I struggle with it going any distance.. so I do wonder about a 5 wood too and whether there would be a big enough difference with the 7 wood to justify having both. I guess I just need to go try that too, which is fine and fun.

Since I'm confident I kept score well yesterday and nothing crazy happened, I did create a free account on the GHIN app to start entering cards for a handicap estimate. :clap: Entered that in as number 1 and hopefully I can either get 5 more 9 hole rounds in the near future to add or a couple of 18 hole rounds. When I was leaving yesterday I bumped into the course pro who had helped me gather my demo clubs earlier and he mentioned that they have a beginner women's league weekly that is very loose and you can join or not each week and are not tied in for the season. He said they accept 36 handicap and below, it is in a Stableford scoring format, and that I should come try it out. I told him I don't have a handicap yet and showed him my scorecard from my round.. he still said I could join so I just might! I guess they are not very picky as they are trying to grow their women's participation up. They also do lots of women's clinics with him and a female Pro that comes in a bunch.. so I'm definitely interested in checking them out more.

Sorry for the novel.. :rolleyes:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They could really bomb their drives, but they were also ping ponging right and left into the trees a lot whereas we were pretty straight most of the time. We actually were waiting on the group in front of us at pretty much every tee.
LOL every time I golf with a random dude who can bomb their drives, I'm on the green in three while they're still looking for their first ball.
One random guy last summer who was paired with me and a girlfriend was a legit bomber.
He never lost a ball and was so much fun to interact with on the course.
He legit hit a ball 300+ yds and was looking for his ball because he had no idea that it went as far as it did but was on the backside of the green on a par 4.
We had a ton of fun playing with him. Super chill.

Example. I was on my third (or maybe 4th) shot and on the green. He was still looking for his ball and I said, "is this it?"
He was like.... damn I wasn't looking THERE!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CathyR