• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

Peppermint

Angel Diva
Has anyone been fitted for a putter specifically? I kind of think I hate my putter.. I have the Calloway Strata set as my starter clubs, except I have upgraded the driver to a Big Bertha. I am doing well working on my swing with all of the other clubs in my bag and finally seeming to get along with all of them for the most part. However, I never have felt comfortable with or liked the feel of my putter. When I look up reviews on my set overall the putter often comes up as something to consider upgrading and I think that’s where I’m at. I just have no idea how to pick a new one. I plan to ask my instructor about it next week, but until then.. what have you done to pick a new putter and how did you know it was time to upgrade your putter? I see that Golf Galaxy does a putter fitting and I’m tempted to try that out, but won’t before checking in with my instructor as well.
Not a putter but I needed a driver and a pitching wedge last year and my instructor told me to go see a man named Don Sherman at Grip and Rip Golf. He also re-gripped my other clubs. It's in Boylston - not sure if that is in your neck of the woods or not. The shop is at his house and he has everything he needs to fit you. He is a super nice guy and not sketchy at all. The price was reasonable and much less than at a big box store. DM me if you want his info.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Not a putter but I needed a driver and a pitching wedge last year and my instructor told me to go see a man named Don Sherman at Grip and Rip Golf. He also re-gripped my other clubs. It's in Boylston - not sure if that is in your neck of the woods or not. The shop is at his house and he has everything he needs to fit you. He is a super nice guy and not sketchy at all. The price was reasonable and much less than at a big box store. DM me if you want his info.
Oh interesting, that’s only about 30 mins from me!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't golfed in a few years but I could never learn how to hit my driver. Used my woods as my driver off the tee. At best, if I got a really good shot (which were few and far between I could maybe get my 1 or 3 wood to maybe 150-175 range? I'm either terrible at golf or lack the patience to put in the time to become not terrible at it. lol

I just stumbled upon this thread and saw this post.
Last week I was paired with another woman on the course who is maybe 5'1" (maybe), and about as big around as my water bottle ;)

She said she was fitted with petite clubs due to her size.
I wonder if that could have been your issue??

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Last week I was paired with another woman on the course who is maybe 5'1" (maybe), and about as big around as my water bottle ;)

As most of you know I am not a big person! I bought a set of clubs years ago - they're ladies clubs. Saw a fitter a couple of years ago and he cut all of them and put new grips that better fit my little hands. Is my golf wonderful? I have to admit it is not, but it IS better with clubs that actually fit me.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Today we were working on figuring out distances on clubs in my lesson. Turns out I was hitting my driver around 180 yards, which I’m quite pleased with. Some good improvement over my 150 yards earlier this season. Plenty of improvement needed, but definitely feeling good about some progress happening overall in my swing.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I've got a cheap Maxfli set I like b/c lightweight. They're too long for me, and I did have them cut down a bit to buy me time, b/c I didn't want to spend money on nice clubs if I wasn't going to stick with it. I'm not only short, but my arms are long so I really need pretty short clubs. Also, the lie angle is all wrong for me. My instructor (when I was trying to learn/taking lessons) was more concerned on working on my swing and getting it consistent before I bought new clubs so we had a better idea of what I need, but I never stuck with it long enough to get any kind of consistency to my swing.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got a cheap Maxfli set I like b/c lightweight. They're too long for me, and I did have them cut down a bit to buy me time, b/c I didn't want to spend money on nice clubs if I wasn't going to stick with it. I'm not only short, but my arms are long so I really need pretty short clubs. Also, the lie angle is all wrong for me. My instructor (when I was trying to learn/taking lessons) was more concerned on working on my swing and getting it consistent before I bought new clubs so we had a better idea of what I need, but I never stuck with it long enough to get any kind of consistency to my swing.
I'm in the midst of taking a 6 (now 10) pack of lessons.
I started playing in 2006 but quit after moving to Tahoe in 2010.
Too many other interests pulling me in different directions.
After meeting and spending time with a fellow skier who happens to work for Puma/Cobra, he enticed me and Phil to get back into golf.
I'm completely hooked on the game and have been eating, sleeping and breathing golf

Once I figure out where my golf game is going, our friend is going to help me get fitted fore (pun intended) a full set of Cobra clubs.
So excited!

MissySki

Angel Diva
So this weekend was the weekend of the putter! lol Saturday I went to PGA Superstore to play on their putting green and just try random putters myself.. I had never been to one of their stores and oh my goodness was it fun! I didn't leave with a putter but I did leave with a bunch of golf clothes. :rotf: Then yesterday I went to my fitting appointment at Golf Galaxy, also left without a putter but with more clothes. Sensing a theme here?

Anyway, amazingly out of walls of putters at each store, there were maybe 5 female specific putters.. not that I didn't try the men's putters as well, but the issue was that those putters are all 2+ inches too long for me. I at least got to play with the women's in 32 and 33 inches and found that 32 is definitely my length. Nothing to really do with my 5'4" height, but that I have really long arms for said height. The fitter yesterday also confirmed that 32 inches was my ideal, but had only one 32 inch club there for me to play with. Can I just say, if you are unsure of you correct putter length, even just this is a worthwhile exercise. I always grip down on my putter, and had to do so on all of the longer putters I tried, but the 32 inch felt AMAZING not so have all of that grip above my hands. It changed my comfort level IMMEDIATELY. The 32 inch putters feel like an extension of my arms, the 34 inchers absolutely do not. It was completely different control than just gripping down.

I was shown a bunch of data on my putting stroke at my fitting that basically specifies what attributes are ideal for me in a putter. A couple being that I would do well with a mallet over a blade and that I should have 30-45 degrees of toe hang. I have a little bit of an arc to my stroke, so the toe hang is supposed to help ensure you get the face back to square before impact versus face balanced putters that are more for straight back and forth putters. The kicker there is that one of my favorite women's clubs doesn't have the option to have toe hang and is only available as face balanced. I putt really well with it though.. it is the Odyssey White Hot OG 2-ball. So part of me is like, is this data more important that the fitter is giving me, or the actual feel and experience I had? The next club I liked, Taylormade Spider GTX also women specific, doesn't come standard with toe hang but I also did well with that face balanced version in store. However, I can order it custom to have a different hosel which will apparently give me the toe hang I need. Kind of annoying that I'd have to order it custom to do that and therefore don't get to try it in that configuration before buying either, plus there is a 4-5 week leadtime for this.. Another great option, and the one my fitter liked because it had the toe hang was the men's Odyssey White Hot Versa 12S. I may have actually putted the best with this one as I was quite consistently straight for the 10 foot putts we were working with and had way more distance control than usual. It felt really good. I sunk a lot of balls, and sometimes it felt like the ball had a magnet being drawn to the hole lol, it was very forgiving as even if I felt I'd mishit it the ball didn't go that far off target. And given the fact that I was using a club 2 inches too long for me, a correct size in it could be really exciting. The kicker with this one is it doesn't come in my 32 inch size at all.. yes they can cut it down, but I am a little wary of that because the shaft is some ratio of graphite and steel with different lengths of each in the bottom versus the upper part of the shaft for balancing.. so how do you cut that down and keep the appropriate balance? They make what I think is the same stroke lab shaft in a women's specific version (ie proper shorter length for those material length ratios as well) for the women's 2 ball club putter I mentioned above, but can I customize it with that shaft from Odyssey? No.. Or at least I don't believe so, I did send Odyssey a question about it today. Wouldn't it suck to buy this club and cut it down only to find that this throws off the intended weight distribution in the shaft and it doesn't feel the same??

So next steps are getting fitted by my instructor because I want to see what he gets for data. I trust him more than a stranger in Golf Galaxy, especially because he didn't seem to think highly of their services, and I want to see how his recommendations compare. My frustration so far is mostly the lack of female specific equipment here given the fact that the male putters don't come in my size for the most part. Why are two of the most popular female putters only available in face balanced also?? Many of the men's clubs are available in every possible configuration you can pick from as standard options with the same head. Frustrating. The stores also don't seem to stock many of the women's putters that do exist. At the PGA Superstore the entire large putting green was surrounded by 4 walls of putters.. and there were almost no women specific ones. Have others found this problem when shopping for a new putter?

And of course I will be obsessing about this until I find a new putter, now that I know how much better a correctly sized putter feels! I love this summertime golf distraction!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna