• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

golf clubs for petite woman, Junior's or women's

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
Hi , ski season just ended here. To stay fit and be ready for the next season, golf seems like a good choice. I am totally new to golf, and not sure what club should I get. I am 5'1'', and I assume even the women clubs would be too long for me. Should I look into Junior clubs? Don't want to pay a ton to learn that I may not like it.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dick's Sporting Goods has sets for women ... one is specifically for petites. IIRC, it was something like $249.

You could also look for used sets and get it cheaper or get a better quality set for the same price. At a beginner level, I'm not sure that better quality clubs makes much difference. I wish it did -- maybe I could buy a good game! I took lessons many years ago. Couldn't do much, thought about better clubs. The tall male pro came over, picked up my women's 5-iron, maybe it was, and smacked the ball 250 yards. It wasn't the clubs. Sigh.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Do you have a shop nearby like Dick’s Sporting Goods or Golf Galaxy? Or a local pro shop? I went to a Golf Galaxy for the first time just this week and they helped me determine that standard womens were good for my height versus petite.

I’m thinking at your height you might be more into the petite womens size, but it’s nice to go touch some clubs and get confirmation from someone who knows what they’re talking about.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
The place where you’re going to learn probably has loaners or rentals that you can use while you figure out if you like it. I would wait to buy until you know about your swing. Clubs can “fix” or smooth out quirks in your body that can affect your play... you can’t really tell them what you need yet.

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
just called the golf course I booked the beginner class with. they have rentals I can use. Hope this is something I will like to proceed to a set for myself. Thanks all for your help!

seastraight

Certified Ski Diva
Golf is an easy way to spend 3-5 hours outside with friends when ski season ends. So I find it very relaxing, and just like skiing, it gives my mind a rest from all the other details. So I encourage you to give it a try. And I have to give a little advice: I would search for online used women's clubs - men's clubs are stiffer and meant for more power than women usually have. I am only 5'2" and I use regular women's clubs. Used clubs haven't been beaten up as much as skis. And the prices are miniscule compared to new clubs. Callaway is always a good bet for women. The problem with sets is that you are paying for lots of irons you many never use. Instead many women are using hybrids, which are more forgiving and not usually in a set. So I would start with a maybe a 3 wood, a 5 or 7 iron, maybe a 4 hybrid, a wedge and a putter, but I would also search for professional advice regarding the best combination of clubs to start with. And also search out women pros. Face it, our bodies are different, and in women's groups you can at least joke about it. There is a great website 'womensgolf dot com' that has tons of video lessons and beginner to expert advice from over 30 women pros. A little different from our ski diva forum, but still chock full of great information. Hope you enjoy it!

marzNC

Angel Diva
As others have said, don't need new clubs when just learning. I'm more petite by an inch, and was over 40 when I decided to give golf some serious learning time for a year or two. I went with women's clubs. Had to get them cut down after it was clear that I would keeping playing for a while.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Face it, our bodies are different, and in women's groups you can at least joke about it.

Yes... especially if you have a chest. I did learn from a male pro who said that his beer belly was as much of an impediment as my chest, but it's not even close to the same.

altagirl

Staff member
Yes... especially if you have a chest. I did learn from a male pro who said that his beer belly was as much of an impediment as my chest, but it's not even close to the same.

Seriously - I find it changes my swing completely if I wear a different bra. My sister is just getting started with golf and I was explaining that I find it important to find the bra that feels okay in a golf swing and then be consistent and only use the same model bra. I'm (even more of a mess) if I have something different on and suddenly I can't place my arms where I usually have them.

And I'm not buying the "beer belly is the same" story either. ;)

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@altagirl - exactly... shaping vs. minimizing, totally different effect.

FWIW for bustier new golfers, a minimizer with a super smooth surface is best, IMO
:rotf:
ETA - bc want your arm to be able to cross your body as straight as possible, without changing the angle of your spine too much. SO... the less there is in the way, the better.

(I think I’m expressing that the right way, if I’m not, someone will clarify my language - basically, you want your arms to be able to cross your chest as smoothly as possible OVER it)

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well, I definitely don't have this problem at all! lol It's funny because in my younger years I was so obsessed with when I'd have more in this area, but low and behold that was never really to be. At least I am FAR from all of the other women in my family that I'd imagined I'd grow to resemble. As I've gotten older and participate in more athletic pursuits though, I've grown to appreciate that less can really be more in many ways with this. Oh I do still have the occasional thought on it, but much less than I used to. Working from home for over a year due to Covid has also really transformed how I dress each day, and I've really embraced losing the bra for the most part altogether because no one can see my chest on Zoom anyway. I wear sports bras to work out and such, but I often go braless in general now and it's so amazingly comfortable. I despise when I need to wear a bra for an actual occasion in public now. Seems I need to go shopping for some more comfortable bras! I do have some hybrid type bralette/super light support sports bras that will likely be what I wear to golf since they are super comfy.

kiki

Angel Diva
Yes I agree on a woman instructor. Figuring out how to navigate your “assets” can be tricky lol! And I find a minimizing sports bra definitely changes my game for the better, hard to concentrate on your swing when things are swooping.....
i’m 5’2” and use womens standard length graphite shafts for my irons, though I do use the longer men’s shafts in a seniors flex for my fairway woods and driver as it gives me a bit more distance. Easier to learn on a ladies length though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly