• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golden Circle Drive Yukon > Alaska > Yukon

Spark

Certified Ski Diva
I’m heading to Whitehorse to mountain bike in August, and it has been suggested to me to also do the Golden Circle Drive.

I’m wondering if anyone has done the drive and where I should spend more or less time. I’m playing with about 4-6 days.

Also, can anyone recommend good day hikes in Haines Junction, Haines and Skagway, and yes this is grizzly country.

What I’ve found so far:
From Haines Junction: Kluane National Park -King’s Throne, Auriol Trail, Sheep Creek Trail
Haines: Mt. Ripinski or Mt Riley
Skagway: Upper Dewey Lake or AB Mountain

Thanks!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
We did the Cassiar highway going up to Whitehorse from Spokane in 2000. It was amazing. We went up north to do a river trip on the Tatashenshini Alsek rivers. I had never heard of the Golden Circle drive until you posted. DH has done the Alcan, and didn't want to repeat it: bo-ring among other things. Anyway, do it!! It's spectacular. I really can't comment on things to do: we did the whole thing in 2 1/2 days driving in the long daylight hours.

National Geographic did a spectacular article on the region some years ago.

I wonder if you can hike into the Grand Canyon of the Stikine? I have heard there's great mountain biking up around Smithers and Williams Lake. Have fun.

cassiarcamp.jpg

cassiarview.jpg

abc

Banned
I must say I'm a bit conflicted about Alaska. I've visited 2-3 times over the years.

Everywhere I went, my first impression was: WOW! It's incredibly beautiful!

But then, there's typically the next 2 days I'm stareing at the same mountain range! I must admit I do get bored of the same great mountain after 12 hrs!!!

The land is huge. And it's empty of trees or hills. Seeing Denali for the first time from 100 miles away was exciting. But then, you can't get away from it for hours no matter which direction you head...

Never done the lower (southern) part of Alaska. Perhaps it's different...

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What you need is a publication called The Milepost. If you email Alaska tourist info they might send it to you for free. It tells you everything you need to know from milepost to milepost. It is a very valuable tool because there isn't ANYTHING for miles and miles. That means you need to know where the next trading post/gas station/restroom/ restaurant is. And you might think about taking a can of gas as a back up plan in case you are far from the next place to get service.

Now all that being said, I love Alaska. The Milepost will tell you about all the things to see and do. My favorites were to hike the back country in Denali, take a flight seeing tour and land on the glacier on Mt McKinley, hike out on a glacier at 10 PM at night and not return till 1AM and it still be 100% light out!, and visiting Seward where Bald Eagles fly around like pesky robins.

My daughter lives in Wasilla the home of the Iditarod, oh and where Sarah Palin lives. So we get to Alaska almost every other year. It is still very rough in all but the major cities of Anchorage and Fairbanks.
You will have a wonderful time and take lots of photos.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
ok, I'm slightly confused. What exactly is OP referring to as the Golden Circle tour? The web info I shows the Golden Circle tour as primarily in Northern BC, not Alaska, as illustrated here:

map_bcyukon.gif

The Stewart-Cassiar Highway (HWY 37) is the western north south section of the Great Northern Circle Tour that includes the Yellow Head Highway 16 and the Alaska Highway 97. The 8-14 day road trip takes you through some of the most beautiful areas in Northern BC.

This is why I commented on the Cassiar Highway in British Columbia... please note none of this is anywhere near (even by Alaskan terms ) Denali and central Alaska.:smile: And most of it is not flat.

Milepost is a good recommendation, and I believe it covers BC too. BE sure you get a current one.However you do it, carrying a good spare and a jerry can of gas is a really good idea. Strong headwinds can through your mileage estimates out the window. We didn't make it the last two miles on one leg of our trip as the winds were so strong we were getting less than 5 miles per gallon.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I spent some time up in the Yukon during my Alaska summers in the early 1970's. What was COOL was to go to Circle on the Solstice (summer) and hike and watch the sun touch, but not dip, on the horizon.

It's been awhile (time flies) but I recall going up to Dawson, on the only road that crosses (or crossed) the Arctic Circle in CN---and as far north as one could drive (at the time).

I recall a hike (Highline?) that went along a ridgeline where you could witness the Solstice, longest day of year, where the sun does not go below the horizon. Oh the memories.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna